Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese Dictionary for Leaving Cert

• 10-04-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

Looking for my daughter

Can anyone recommend a dictionary?
    I'm not sure which type of dictionary as there is different flavours of Japanese I think!

Any help appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi try the Japanese forum - soc - languages. You might get more info there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hi! Don't worry, Japanese isn't like Chinese - there's only one "flavour" so to speak so any Japanese-English dictionary will be suitable.

Are you looking for an online dictionary, an app or a physical dictionary? The latter might be difficult to get recommendations for (also there's not many available in Irish stores) as not many people tend to use physical dictionaries anymore! I'd recommend just using online dictionaries such as jisho.org or else an app (does your daughter have an iPhone or an Android device?) as they will be much cheaper and generally quicker/easier to use. Also, since this is for the LC she won't need access to very complicated vocabulary so online/app will definitely suffice in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Konata wrote: »
    Hi! Don't worry, Japanese isn't like Chinese - there's only one "flavour" so to speak

I see you've never been to the Kansai region...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I see you've never been to the Kansai region...

I have.

OP is extremely unlikely to either need or be able to find such a thing as a Kansai-ben dictionary though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 februaryair

I use the Collins pocket dictionary, it has all the kana. You can buy it in Easons or find it online, too. Doesn't actually fit in your pocket, though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I've been using the "Japanese" dictionary app on my iphone for yonks now. For whatever I paid it has been very good value. It's what I usually recommend to people when they come over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Tristram wrote: »
    I've been using the "Japanese" dictionary app on my iphone for yonks now. For whatever I paid it has been very good value. It's what I usually recommend to people when they come over here.

Which app exactly is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Advertisement