Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Artificial Christmas Tree - Guidance Please

Options
  • 16-11-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I'm looking for an 8 foot, artificial Christmas Tree that doesn't cost the earth but is good quality and will last longer than the Christmas cards!!

So far I've checked:

B&Q (didn't like quality), Coop Store Raheen (no 8 footers), Tesco (quality was crap), The Creamery in Adare (lovely trees but scary prices), Volkes (either not tall enough or not wide enough) and Woodies - found a lovely 8 footer except it only comes with all the decorations and costs €279.99 and this is a lot, IMHO, for a tree because I really don't need all the decorations.

I've also looked on-line on Argos and am worried that you can't feel before you buy.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please, other than biting the bullet and buying the Woodies one? I can't do real trees as the sap messes up my skin. Am in Limerick City but would be prepared to travel for what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

How expensive are the trees in the Creamery in Adare? If you already have the decorations, then maybe get one there instead of the €279 tree in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Some of the trees in The Creamery were €500 without decorations....

Others were the same as the ones in B&Q, they had what is described as a naturalistic aspect to the branches, but which really looks like a rat has had a bit of nibble on selected branches. And they were dearer than the B&Q ones.

Oh and I forgot - we went to Instore. Bits of branches, nailed or screwed to MDF squares and sprayed with artificial snow were selling from €59 for a 3 foot one.

I know I'm a picky old cow but I want a tree that I can sit and gaze adoringly at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bicycle wrote: »
    Some of the trees in The Creamery were €500 without decorations....

Others were the same as the ones in B&Q, they had what is described as a naturalistic aspect to the branches, but which really looks like a rat has had a bit of nibble on selected branches. And they were dearer than the B&Q ones.

Oh and I forgot - we went to Instore. Bits of branches, nailed or screwed to MDF squares and sprayed with artificial snow were selling from €59 for a 3 foot one.

I know I'm a picky old cow but I want a tree that I can sit and gaze adoringly at :D

Would not call it picky to not want to settle for something inferior. The Creamery ones are quite expensive alright.

Not sure where else you could try to be honest. Maybe you could get Xiled Sniper to hold up a small tree for ya, after all he is a giant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would not call it picky to not want to settle for something inferior. The Creamery ones are quite expensive alright.

Not sure where else you could try to be honest. Maybe you could get Xiled Sniper to hold up a small tree for ya, after all he is a giant.:D

Low blow... :(

Kess73 wrote: »

Thanks for the offer. Don't want to offend Xiled Sniper :D but I've got a lovely Mr Big here at home and I want the tree to be a little bit taller than him :p

If anyone else has suggestions, please, I'd really appreciate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shaw's out in the Crescent might be worth a try, Debenham's too.

Thanks Bazz, a couple of good suggestions. I'll try them on Friday or over the weekend.

Its at times like this, I miss Roches Stores!! The sentimental part of me reckons I'd have got whatever I wanted there :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

don't forget that you could always buy one in argos, see what its like and if its not okay then you can return it.
    I know its a pain but....
    on the travelling front, my friends just travelled up to dundrum village (not the shopping centre!) and paid around 300 for a 10ft tree - they figured it was an investment:D they would normally spend 50-60 on a real tree each year

Thanks Angel.

Christmas trees are excluded from the 30 day returns policy in Argos (I had thought of doing what you suggested and checked!!).

I do see it as an investment and am prepared to pay for a nice one. But its been a very expensive year and I need to make sure I get the best value possible. Because the more I spend on this, the less I spend on other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Homebase had all their tree halfprice about 3 weeks ago. I got a very realistic 8 ft tree for 137. I checked everywhere else and they had best selection. Worth a look IMO. They had loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks Angel.

Christmas trees are excluded from the 30 day returns policy in Argos (I had thought of doing what you suggested and checked!!).

I do see it as an investment and am prepared to pay for a nice one. But its been a very expensive year and I need to make sure I get the best value possible. Because the more I spend on this, the less I spend on other things.

It would be some craic to be able to buy it and then return it after Christmas for a refund. :D

bazz26 wrote: »
    It would be some craic to be able to buy it and then return it after Christmas for a refund. :D

you could always ask them to put it up for you in the shop "to check it":D:D
    Some of the larger argos often have them on display anyway - did you look at argos in the childers road.
    i think that they are doing a 3 for 2 this week on xmas stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Even if Argos dont have the tree on display, you are entitled to ask them to remove it from the packaging so that you can look and feel it before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I know it not what your looking for but,
    this year buy a real one,
    then in Jan when the artificial trees are seriously reduced buy one for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Dont forget to try Atlantic Homestore on Childers Rd and also Homestore and more out in Eastway Business Pk. Haven't been looking for a tree so haven't been checking quality, just have noticed them for sale when I was in there. Have had the same one for the past 11 yrs, like you're looking for 8ft full and very realistic - bought it in Roches Stores (when it was there in the Christmas Dept in the basement) for something round IR£170.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Heatons do christman trees too- bought one a few years back for around 70

Can I say a big thank you to you all for your help. You guys are brilliant ;)

I went out to Homebase this morning and was genuinely bowled over by the choice. Daithi, I saw your 8ft tree for €137 and it was really cool but loved the 7 foot one with the pine cones and the berries that was also €137. Rang hubby and he reminded me that only some of the ceilings in the house and even in the kitchen/living room area are 8 foot and the others are 7 1/2 foot. So, I went for the 7 foot one. But it was the only shop where I felt sad and lonely about leaving the other trees!!

A really nice gentleman helped me with the tree and said "which tree are you getting? Oh the lovely one!! I'm hoping to get one of those too".

Its still in the box so I can't post a photo. But I'm hoping it will be fabulous.

Thanks again folks!!

Can I say a big thank you to you all for your help. You guys are brilliant ;)

I went out to Homebase this morning and was genuinely bowled over by the choice. Daithi, I saw your 8ft tree for €137 and it was really cool but loved the 7 foot one with the pine cones and the berries that was also €137. Rang hubby and he reminded me that only some of the ceilings in the house and even in the kitchen/living room area are 8 foot and the others are 7 1/2 foot. So, I went for the 7 foot one. But it was the only shop where I felt sad and lonely about leaving the other trees!!

A really nice gentleman helped me with the tree and said "which tree are you getting? Oh the lovely one!! I'm hoping to get one of those too".

Its still in the box so I can't post a photo. But I'm hoping it will be fabulous.

Thanks again folks!!

are homebase doing the half price on the trees? see on their uk website that they are??

Yes, Angel.

The trees that Daithi and myself bought were selling for €137, reduced from €274.

They were certainly the best value trees I've seen in my search and were also the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Just ask at any Argos branch for a Customer view and they will let you unbox and inspect before you buy.

• Advertisement

Yes, Angel.

The trees that Daithi and myself bought were selling for €137, reduced from €274.

They were certainly the best value trees I've seen in my search and were also the nicest.

might run out there myself - ours is about 12 yrs old now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Your very welcome bicycle. I'm surprised they are still half price. They really do have a fine selection. Mine is still in the box and i'm mad to put it up. In fact i think will as i need to check it out in case something is wrong and its to late to return!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Daithi07 wrote: »
    Homebase had all their tree halfprice about 3 weeks ago. I got a very realistic 8 ft tree for 137. I checked everywhere else and they had best selection. Worth a look IMO. They had loads.

Although I'm in Dublin, I assume the stores have a similar if not identical stock. I didn't like the Homebase range, but I got a nice 7.5ft in Woodies €180

Faing wrote: »
    Just ask at any Argos branch for a Customer view and they will let you unbox and inspect before you buy.

Thanks Faing, I didn't realise this. I'll remember it for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Limerick City Council do a mean range of alternative christmas trees

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Limerick City Council do a mean range of alternative christmas trees

The non floating type by any chance? :D

Quick Update - Woodies now have 10% off all their trees and 20% off all their other Christmas decorations.

I'm assuming that the VAT will go up by 2% on the 6th or 7th so they're even better value now than they will be in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 notsosure.com

I just bought the 8ft pre-lit tree from Woddies for €223 (reduced from €279). Haven't put it up yet. I have 8ft ceilings but hopefully it won't look squashed when up. Good thing about it is the lights stay on the tree. Therefore they are always in the perfect position - no fixing. Suits me fine.

Tree comes apart in 3 pieces. takes about 10 mins to put up - only need to put on the decorations (which aren't fantastic, but I have some of my old ones that I will mix in with them.

Overall, its a nice full tree that is easy to assemble and disassemble. I know it will last for years to come.

(Didn't tell himself the truth about the price. Even at the discount, he would have a heart attack!!!)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

I got the 8ft Homebase tree and just put it up. All in all It's not a bad tree and looks quite well with the lights and decorations etc on it. The only downside here is that it takes bloody ages to put up, each branch has to be individually hooked into the main stalk of the tree which can be very tricky! and the colour coded system is not great and some of the branches will fall off when you put the lights on afterwards. My advice is to assemble it on your own with nobody around (especially kids)!! and to take your time. Although it is 8ft high the bottom stalk coming from up from the stand is quite long and it would be better described as a 7ft tree with a long bottom stalk! one last thing is it doesnt really look like the picture of the tree on the outside of the box so see it up in the store before you purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement