Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Web Database

Options
  • 28-08-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im just about to start a web design project, the main part of it will be the Database. The database will mainly store videos and presentations. Im nearly certain I will use MySQL for the database design. Im relatively new to MySQL, i know how to create tables and fields, using 'PhpMyAdmin'. How do I import/store the videos in the MySQL Database ?

Any help/ideas would be great..

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Truck wrote: »
    Hi All,

Im just about to start a web design project, the main part of it will be the Database. The database will mainly store videos and presentations. Im nearly certain I will use MySQL for the database design. Im relatively new to MySQL, i know how to create tables and fields, using 'PhpMyAdmin'. How do I import/store the videos in the MySQL Database ?

Any help/ideas would be great..

Thanks..
    well assuming the videos and presentations (what does this mean?) will be user submitted, phpmyadmin won't help you there.

I would suggest you start here for a web based intro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

How do I import/store the videos in the MySQL Database ?
    You wouldn't -- you'd 'store' a link to the video which resides on your server, or maybe even some other website. You don't physically store the video data inside the database.

You'd probably want to use a scripting language like PHP to upload the video, insert the database link and information, and retrieve that information later on for output to the website.

Just having a database is such a small part of the operation, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Ok great, That makes sense.

How do I go about displaying the database? I assume i can use PHP and call certain parts of the database to display.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

How do I go about displaying the database? I assume i can use PHP and call certain parts of the database to display.

Thanks,
    that's precisely what you do. in fact, that's precisely what phpmyadmin does, it's all mysql queries being called through php and then displayed.

I recommend you look up some basic php + mysql forms examples, best to start learning how to put data into a database, things will then become a lot clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Thanks,
    Read up on some basic SQL first and then start doing it with PHP. You can do it via phpMyAdmin to give you a taste of whats going on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement