Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the Day (again)

• 19-01-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's come up before, but what are the parameters for choosing POTD? M.T. Cranium has POTD today, yet yesterday, a post was made in After Hours which garnered far more thanks. And it had more thanks by yesterday lunchtime than today's POTD has.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's been over a year since POTD was given to a post in After Hours: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122270

I think AH was removed from the algorithm in case somebody posted something "offensive" and Boards.ie were seen to be "endorsing" it with the thanks system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They just didn't want me winning it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

An File wrote: »
    It's been over a year since POTD was given to a post in After Hours: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122270

I think AH was removed from the algorithm in case somebody posted something "offensive" and Boards.ie were seen to be "endorsing" it with the thanks system.

I really don't get how that was classed as offensive, was that the last AH post to win POTD?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Surely though it can have to opposite effect of great posts being denied POTD. Not saying the post I linked in the OP was a great post, but mainly thinking about maybe some of the Santa Strike Force posts for big donations or where the money will be going to etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I really don't get how that was classed as offensive, was that the last AH post to win POTD?

That was the last one thanked by the Boards.ie account. There were 61 other After Hours posts thanked in the 4 months prior to that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We don't give it to posts in AH - it doesn't need the popularity boost and it's there primarily to help drive traffic to other forums.

Does the You Laugh You Lose series of threads really need the traffic boost too?

Probably not, might look at re-jigging the algorithm :)

That was the last one thanked by the Boards.ie account. There were 61 other After Hours posts thanked in the 4 months prior to that one.

Would it not be better to just stop the boards.ie account from thanking posts?

Would it not be better to just stop the boards.ie account from thanking posts?

It's the most simple way of automatically tracking and tagging POTD, as far as I understand it.

• Advertisement

It's the most simple way of automatically tracking and tagging POTD, as far as I understand it.

Ah cool, thanks.

Yea, it's the way the code works. Algorithm finds post, makes the Boards.ie account thank said post and then when the menu rebuilds itself every night, it looks for the most recently thanked post by the Boards.ie account and tags it as the POTD (similarly with Thread of the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dav wrote: »
    We don't give it to posts in AH - it doesn't need the popularity boost and it's there primarily to help drive traffic to other forums.

Ah, that's fair enough. I knew the Thread of the Day was pretty much just random, but thought POTD was purely just the most thanked post (with the exception of forums like Personal Issues for obvious reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Probably not, might look at re-jigging the algorithm :)

Post video of said jig, with relevant audio, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Gordon wrote: »
    Post video of said jig, with relevant audio, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

We don't give it to posts in AH - it doesn't need the popularity boost..

Edit: tl;dr

After Hours should never have been removed from the POTD algorithm. The reasoning behind it is baloney.

POTD was not set up to drive traffic to parts of Boards that needed a popularity boost, for the simple reason that the chances of a post ever getting most thanks of a day in a not very well frequented forum, would be nigh on impossible: for. that. reason.

Quit (what I see as being) the never ending sneering at AH. It's why you're here. Without it.. green fields.

Advertisement