Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best way to go about getting 2 Beagle pups?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 harvey180

hey new to this tread. was wondering if the OP found a pup? i've a 2 year old beagle bitch as a family pet and she is great. we are thinking about finding her a companion and are looking for a good breeder too. if you find one let us know. very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hey we haven't got our pup yet, looks like it'll be next week. All the practical issues like repairing the garden fence and getting bedding, toys and food have to be sorted first. We found a breeder in Carlow who seems good, I can PM you the contact details after we'v3e gone down to have a look at the pups next week :)

Another question: Would it be a bad idea to get a fabric bed for the puppy, will she most likely chew it to bits? I havent seen any plastic beds on any websites, does anyone have any links to sites with plastic beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Plastic with some vet bed/towels is the best way to go imo. If you get a cloth one with a zip the puppy will try to eat the zip!!! They have plastic ones on zooplus : http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_baskets_and_blankets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 harvey180

Thanks piste any info will be great. It'll be well into the new year before we take one on but finding a reputible breeder will be half the battle. PM the info when you can that would be great.

• Advertisement

Sorry to keep dragging up this thread but it's probably better than making a whole load of new threads. Is it very important for puppies to be IKC registered? If an ad doesn't say they're registered do you think the nreeder would register the pup if I asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The breeder usually registers the litter if they're going to register them.
    they can only be IKC registered if both parents are purebred & registered with the IKC and if the bitch is still within the allowed range of amount of litters/age etc.

To some people IKC registered doesn't matter, because it's essentially a bit of paper that helps if you want to show them. Some people insist on IKC reg because it means that hopefully the bitch isn't being overbred.
    If you really want IKC reg - you can ask the breeder if they have/will register them, but I think they have to register the whole litter, which they may or may not want to do.

Great thanks for all the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

No worries- like no harm asking if they will register the pup but just that they may not for any of the above reasons. So it's up to you if you def want to go with registered or not hun.

I didn't want to start a new thread about my hunt for a beagle, so I hope it's ok that I'm dragging up this one.

It was a success! My mum found a lovely couple on donedeal who were breeding from two very good show beagles. We went to their home to pick out our pup today. They're 6 weeks atm so we'll be able to bring her home in 2 weeks time. We got some pics of her today, she looks shy and sleepy because she was woken up from a nap she took after we exhausted her by playing with the litter:

17161_277657387780_511677780_3457350_2281190_n.jpg

17161_277657392780_511677780_3457351_858386_n.jpg

17161_277657402780_511677780_3457352_5532537_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

she's gorgeous, you dont happen to have the contact details for the breeder? I'm currently on the hunt for a beagle also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dundalk City

Just a question if any one could help.. I have a beagle female she is just gone 2, And to but it lightly she is a nutjob.. you would need eyes in the back of your head to watch her. But shes a great Character. Hard work.. Lately were all working during the day so shes out the back garden running a complete muck and doesnt get walked till about seven i came home the other night and the howls of her out the back for me to let her in / walk her.. so was just wondering if we got her a friend would it help?

Just a question if any one could help.. I have a beagle female she is just gone 2, And to but it lightly she is a nutjob.. you would need eyes in the back of your head to watch her. But shes a great Character. Hard work.. Lately were all working during the day so shes out the back garden running a complete muck and doesnt get walked till about seven i came home the other night and the howls of her out the back for me to let her in / walk her.. so was just wondering if i got a friend would it help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If you're not coping with one at the moment then I'd be really hesitant about adding another to the mix.

Is she walked in the morning? Any dog walkers near you that could break up the day for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like your dog is bored from lack of exercise. Beagles need a lot of stimulation as they are hunting breeds so need a lot of exercise so i would try and exercise her more.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Just a question if any one could help.. I have a beagle female she is just gone 2, And to but it lightly she is a nutjob.. you would need eyes in the back of your head to watch her. But shes a great Character. Hard work.. Lately were all working during the day so shes out the back garden running a complete muck and doesnt get walked till about seven i came home the other night and the howls of her out the back for me to let her in / walk her.. so was just wondering if we got her a friend would it help?

Hiya

we got our beagle last year he had just gone 1, he's 2 now in May. What a learning curve that was! He ate everything!!!!

Anyway it was the same with us, and we rescued a 2nd dog and the two of them are best friends now! He calmed down a lot and we definitely find it easier with 2 of them than when it was just him on his own.

Beagles are such great dogs though, just full of fun and affection and once they have something to chew on and get plenty of walks and hugs they're happy as larry!

genie_us wrote: »
    Hiya

we got our beagle last year he had just gone 1, he's 2 now in May. What a learning curve that was! He ate everything!!!!

Anyway it was the same with us, and we rescued a 2nd dog and the two of them are best friends now! He calmed down a lot and we definitely find it easier with 2 of them than when it was just him on his own.

Beagles are such great dogs though, just full of fun and affection and once they have something to chew on and get plenty of walks and hugs they're happy as larry!

Ah shes just a great wee dog. Eats everything but her face gets her away with it..:D Sorted out a walker for the mornings then ill take her as normal when i get home from work should help her. would love to get another dog for her to play with aswell during the day ill go to the rescue shelter and see what they say.. Thanks every1 for the advice

Advertisement