Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2001 Almera - ABS?

• 26-03-2008 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi guys,

The gf bought a 2001 almera a couple of weeks back. It's the four-door saloon model, 55k, spotless, got it for €4,250 and she had it looked over by a guy who does the nct tests and he said it looked in good nick.

I only got driving it last week and i notice that the brakes are very severe on her - they're good brakes - in a way :rolleyes: - just feel very, very sensitive. I was wondering if this has ABS? No ignition light comes on indicating abs and the manual mentions that it abs is "only where fitted". I would have thought that a car of this vintage and a nissan would have abs but as I say - the brakes are very sensitive, so if it does have abs it is faulty or not working.

Any ideas?

Jason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Almera didn't get ABS standard till mid 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Does not have ABS as standard and every N16 Almera (including mine) that I've driven has extremely sensitive brakes. Don't worry you'll get used to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 shaper13

Right, thanks for that - was worried there was a servo problem or some such.

But if they're noted for being sensitive then fair enough - I'll wear slippers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ABS was an optional extra on the Almera back then. Easiest way to tell obviously without slamming on the brakes, is by looking at the dashboard binnical.

When you switch the ignition on if the car has ABS fitted then an ABS warning/check light will come on for about 5 seconds. This is the onboard computer running a quick startup check of the ABS system.

It will look something like this:

brakewarning2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 shaper13

Yep, that was the first thing i looked for. After slamming on the brakes and crashing through the windscreen ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

From the Almeras I've seen, finding one with ABS is very unusual.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yup wasnt standard. Mine has it. Great for a free foot massage sometimes! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I hadn't realised they were so sensitive until i drove another car (after about 2 years of driving my N15 Almera) and at first I actually thought the other car was dodgy [it's not slowing down!! :eek:]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Cionád wrote: »
    I hadn't realised they were so sensitive until i drove another car (after about 2 years of driving my N15 Almera) and at first I actually thought the other car was dodgy [it's not slowing down!! :eek:]

I'm in the same boat. I drive a vintage car with no servo sometimes, and getting back into the Almera after driving the old yoke, I go through the windscreen! It just takes a bit og getting used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

the almera i drive (06) Also has sensitive brakes. I've drove older Almeras aroun 99. They're all pretty sensitve to touch. Anybody who drives my car always slams down lol.

Still on the note of Almera brakes, I have a problem with mine so i'll post in a sec...

• Advertisement
Advertisement