Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

yuloni wrote: »

If the line wasnt terminated separately to the ISDN Unit it could throw the result.

No idea about the codes. Well AAA could be Authentication, Authorization and Accounting. They almost look like UANs but I think theyre too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Got a letter today about upgrading to the "up to 24mb" speeds. My exchange is due for vdsl is april - June.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

@Nolars sounds like your in the same boat as me.

What speed are you currently getting?

• Advertisement

MediaHaul wrote: »
    @Nolars sounds like your in the same boat as me.

What speed are you currently getting?

3mb so it will make feck all difference anyhow. what about you?

I'm getting 16mbps on adsl and the upgrade will give me 12mbps (of the 'up to 24mbps').

So not worth my while.

I'm getting 16mbps on adsl and the upgrade will give me 12mbps (of the 'up to 24mbps').

So not worth my while.

you mean upgrading to vdsl? The upload will be much better tho.

Is it worth losing the half mb/s download speed for the upload ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Is it worth losing the half mb/s download speed for the upload ya think?

Depends on your usage style , but for the most part NOPE ! , best option is to move to a populated area , and before you beat me im on DF as well with no hope of VDSL in what i would call a built up area.

Eircom do not love the good people of macroom due to some politician causing war around 1-2 years ago where they then fitted the up 24MB un-congested BB , in fairness i have never seen it down or running slower than advertised . I need more speed. ( No meth or amphetamines)

• Advertisement

Nolars wrote: »
    3mb so it will make feck all difference anyhow. what about you?

Is your package currently 3Mb or your speed results? If its the package your exchange is probably going NGN and it could make a big difference.

ED E wrote: »
    Is your package currently 3Mb or your speed results? If its the package your exchange is probably going NGN and it could make a big difference.

Was on up to 8mb and getting 3mb due to distance, was on to Eircom and my speed wont change up to 24mb due to the distance. (They just send out a letter to everyone on the exchange).

Nolars wrote: »
    Was on up to 8mb and getting 3mb due to distance, was on to Eircom and my speed wont change up to 24mb due to the distance. (They just send out a letter to everyone on the exchange).

Yeah, unfortunately thats correct. Only thing that might improve is latency(slighty, still ATM) and congestion if there was any.

yuloni wrote: »

This wasnt vdsl it was an upgrade from asdl to asdl2, looks like they are upgrading the exchanges to asdl2 first.

Any of the legacy exchanges will get ADSL2+ automatically when they run the new backhaul to replace the old radios in preparation for VDSL. They'll have rakes of 2+ cards idle with the thousands moving to VDSL. In fact if naked VDSL becomes more popular urban exchanges could become very quiet places.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

I would be more than happy with an upgrade to ADSL2+, at 2km from the exchange my speed would probably double currently getting 6MB on ADSL...

I know what i would like to directly feed them ............. The internet bypasses Macroom unlike the friggin road to Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Exchange green, but I'm still waiting for a line to go fiber on the line checker.

Preps expanding foam , one rubber hose, duct tape and a fook tonne of metal filings infused into expanding foam injector as it enters vdsl cab !!!!!! Dammit Dammit Dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ED E wrote: »
    Any of the legacy exchanges will get ADSL2+ automatically when they run the new backhaul to replace the old radios in preparation for VDSL. They'll have rakes of 2+ cards idle with the thousands moving to VDSL. In fact if naked VDSL becomes more popular urban exchanges could become very quiet places.

They'll have to before long anyway. The equipment suppliers aren't going to support TDM based 1980s voice and ISDN gear forever.
    A move to VoIP needs to happen soon regardless.

I foresee the PSTN phone network becoming totally irrelevant in 10 years. Mobiles are more practical and cheaper for voice anyway and other than businesses most people probably won't want landlines.

Our home office landline is VoIP and has been for a few years at this stage and I rarely use it . Most businesses are migrating away from analogue and ISDN towards VoIP too. Small businesses on fast broadband can completely avoid having to buy expensive phone systems and just use hosted PBX solutions - saves thousands and is way more flexible. Large businesses are replacing ISDN with SIP trunks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Praetorian wrote: »
    Exchange green, but I'm still waiting for a line to go fiber on the line checker.

Worrying for me is that numbers for companies all around me are going green for fiber.

Ok its piccy time I took some pics while out and about in Clonmel yesterday , ( What a day for it ) Actually getting out of the car and walking up closer I think these may be Eircom runs not sure , Possibly you lads in here will know the difference. ( The poles to me look eircom and not ESB)
    The runs for these two are about 2 miles apart and on a back road from clonmel to Cahir. Four lines on each pole and the top one is what i suspect to be fiber line on the right is coming from clonmel and line heading out to the left is towards Cahir.

More pics placed here as i do not believe these are ESB pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I agree that they are Eircom poles and that it is fibre, but it could be for anything I suppose, exchange backhaul seems likely to me given the location, rather than any sort of FTTH.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure its fibre thats there. They've never been that tidy when wrapping copper loops up, they're usually just loosely run around a hook and taped. The reason to do what theyve done, as you know, is to keep the turn radius in check.

If thats a new run its so they can put somewhere onto NGN, or its an NGN failover.

Advertisement