Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notifications?

• 06-03-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be possible to get notifications of your post is quoted or thanked?
    Would be a good option to have.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Can I ask why you would want notifications that your posts had been thanked or quoted? Notifications that a thread you've posted in has been added to makes sense, as you may wish to return to further the discussion.

Notification just to know that somebody quoted your post or thanked it on the other hand, would be extra load placed on the site that would seem to serve no purpose other than self gratification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Thanks is a bit... eh.
    I understand quoting. Most quoted posts are done so you can reply to them.

But you can still check your posts that are quoted/liked under your profile.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you posted something incredibly witty or insightful or whatever, do you really want to receive a couple of hundred notifications, each simply telling you that another person has thanked your post?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd never get anything done if I got a notification every time I got thanked. Would probably bring down the servers trying to keep up :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

Won't somebody please think of the hamsters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Sciencenerd-Thanked 26,122 Times in 4,470 Posts
    Zaph-Thanked 23,345 Times in 8,122 Posts

That would be really annoying on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Love to see thanks done away with altogether!
    Think of it, an end of thanks whoring!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would ruin our photoshop competition :(

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It would ruin our photoshop competition :(

We all have to make sacrifices.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Do you prefer thanks or endless "+1" posts?

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Do you prefer thanks or endless "+1" posts?

Never thought.. But if I'm forced to choose, I'd go for secret option number 3, poster makes their own point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you can see in your profile page if you've been thanked or quoted anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Never thought.. But if I'm forced to choose, I'd go for secret option number 3, poster makes their own point.

Option 3 is forbidden!

Advertisement