Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and Babies

• 23-02-2011 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Was in the park the other day and there was a baby about 2 weeks old crying with that particularly piercing newborn cry. My youngest dog - a 4 year old JRT cross - stood a little way off, staring at the baby, tail down and barking her head off. Don't know whether she was frightened or thought the baby was in distress. Problem is that I'm expecting a granddaughter in June who I'll be looking after 1 day a week from December. Is there anything I can do to get Daisy used to a baby crying? Don't think I'll have a problem with the 2 older dogs but I don't want to have to put Daisy into a seperate room when I'm looking after the baby. All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

You can get a cd to de-sensitize dogs to the sound of a baby crying, similar to the fireworks one. That should help stop her reacting badly to the sound of a baby's cries. You start off with the volume really low and gradually increase it until it's at a normal level and the dog doesn't react.

example - http://www.preparingfido.com/LEARN%20MORE.html

The sound of a baby crying can really unsettle some dogs. My sisters dog used to run for the kitchen table whenever he heard their new baby crying, for 3 weeks he lived under there, and he's a donkey of a dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Thanks, toomanydogs. Will get that CD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP - it will also help if you have some of the baby's things at your house before the baby actually appears (e.g. clothes the baby has worn), this will get your dog used to the baby smells ect. and you can start the dogs not to touch the baby's things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

OP - it will also help if you have some of the baby's things at your house before the baby actually appears (e.g. clothes the baby has worn), this will get your dog used to the baby smells ect. and you can start the dogs not to touch the baby's things

That's a good idea. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, not sure how those CDs work so you may not even need a CD. I'm sure if you typed crying baby into youtube it would throw up a few videos and you could play them for the dog to try to get her used to the sound?

• Advertisement
Advertisement