Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make- Canon
    Item-Lens
    Model- 18-55mm EF-S 3.5-5.6 IS
    Fault -

Taking it out of its perch in the wardrobe, Bagged didnt realise the bag was open at the top. You guessed it. Fell. Hit the floor camera and lens. Lens took the brunt. Auto Focus no longer working but everything else appears operational. If you can give an approx. Not sure if its worth repair or replace.

Cheers

Lister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

listermint wrote: »
    Make- Canon
    Item-Lens
    Model- 18-55mm EF-S 3.5-5.6 IS
    Fault -

Taking it out of its perch in the wardrobe, Bagged didnt realise the bag was open at the top. You guessed it. Fell. Hit the floor camera and lens. Lens took the brunt. Auto Focus no longer working but everything else appears operational. If you can give an approx. Not sure if its worth repair or replace.

Cheers

Lister
    Hi Lister,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter.

A few question and I can tell you if it's worth replacing or repairing.
    Does the lens manual focus ok?
    Does the AF continuously hunt or is it just dead? (no whirring or noise from the motor at all)
    Is the lens barrel wobbly or off centre?
    does the camera give any errors when trying to use that lens in MF or AF

If the lens continuously hunts then it is definitely worth repairing as that is a small cable feeding the body with info that has snapped. depending on the rest of the answers I can tell you more.

Hi Lister,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter.

A few question and I can tell you if it's worth replacing or repairing.
    Does the lens manual focus ok?
    Does the AF continuously hunt or is it just dead? (no whirring or noise from the motor at all)
    Is the lens barrel wobbly or off centre?
    does the camera give any errors when trying to use that lens in MF or AF

If the lens continuously hunts then it is definitely worth repairing as that is a small cable feeding the body with info that has snapped. depending on the rest of the answers I can tell you more.

It manually focuses fine, it just makes a whirring noise on the Autofocus and seems to hunt for focus. Cant see error messages on the screen however. But i can take a second look when i get home.

To me it feels like to auto focus manual wheel 'feel's notchy. But that could be in my head. Lens looks centred as far as i can see and there is no other signs of wobble or damage.

Checked that there. No signs of damage on the lens, picture looks clear and level. No wobble from the lens.

No error messages on screen. It takes image in MF mode with some sharpness adjustment.

But the only issue is in AF the lens continually just 'hunts' for focus.

Checked that there. No signs of damage on the lens, picture looks clear and level. No wobble from the lens.

No error messages on screen. It takes image in MF mode with some sharpness adjustment.

But the only issue is in AF the lens continually just 'hunts' for focus.

Can you confirm one last thing and I can confirm my hypothesis.

Change the focal length until the rear element is farthest into the lens, shine a light or just go to an area that you can see inside the lens and check for a small cable that is snapped.

• Advertisement

Can you confirm one last thing and I can confirm my hypothesis.

Change the focal length until the rear element is farthest into the lens, shine a light or just go to an area that you can see inside the lens and check for a small cable that is snapped.

Right so i had a look, to my untrained eye i cannot see damage to the cable. but i may be looking in the wrong local. It is the ribbon cable (orangey in colour)

Possibly here

IMG_20120328_133238.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

CabanSail wrote: »
    This is a thread for anyone having technical problems with Cameras and/or Accessories. Post your problem here and others with technical expertise, or those that may have had similar problems, can post solutions and advice.

Please format your requests in the following manner;

Make: (ie. Canon, Nikon, Fuji etc)

Item: (Compact Camera, DSLR Body, Lens, Speedlight, etc)

Model: (ie 5D MkII, D300, X 100, etc)

Fault: A description of the fault.

When/how it happened:

To make this work we ask;

• that posts are kept strictly on topic.
    • that information be as detailed and precise as possible.
    • you read through the thread first to see if an answer has already been given.
    To those giving advice, we appreciate your involvement. It is realised that it may be recommended that items be taken to a workshop or business for repair/service. To keep within the policy of the site, the offering of a service must not be seen as Shilling or Advertising. The Moderators will keep an eye on this and apply discretion.

Lastly, while advice will be offered in good faith, the posters, Moderators and Boards.ie take no responsibility for any damage or losses incurred. It is the responsibility of those receiving this advice to assess the merits of the information and to act accordingly. If in doubt seek other opinions elsewhere.

Hopefully this will be a useful service to this community.

Make: Sony

Item: Compact Camera,

Model: Cybershot DSC-W50

Fault: Optical Zoom not working

When/how it happened:

I dropped the camera and optical zoom hasn't worked since

Right so i had a look, to my untrained eye i cannot see damage to the cable. but i may be looking in the wrong local. It is the ribbon cable (orangey in colour)

Possibly here

Hi,

Have a look in from the back of the lens with the optics at the 55mm end. you should see a cable 90 degrees clockwise of the contacts just to the left of the metal comb. if that is visibly torn, bent, or the metal comb is damaged then you will get that behaviour. let me know if you find anything.

Best Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cgifts

Just a word of thanks to zerohamster for sorting out my Canon 7D and 40D - did an excellent job and was a pleasure to deal with. Very professional and excellent communication regarding the repairs required. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Make: Canon

Item: Lens

Model: 24mm-105mm F4.0 L

Fault: Hunting for Focus also intermittent error "clean lens contacts" which seems to have gone away after a little wipe.

When/how it happened: No obvious knock or fall that, been in my bag and has always been well looked after. Only happened recently , checked body with other lenses to reckon its def the lens.

Any advice /service offered appreciated.
    Thanks
    Trev

• Advertisement

Hi Trev,

After the clean is it still giving you focus errors.
    If so it could be the zoom and/or focus brush that could be causing the fault if it wasn't just dirty contacts.

If you want to PM me I could take a look at it for you?
    Trigger76 wrote: »

Model: 24mm-105mm F4.0 L

Fault: Hunting for Focus also intermittent error "clean lens contacts" which seems to have gone away after a little wipe.

When/how it happened: No obvious knock or fall that, been in my bag and has always been well looked after. Only happened recently , checked body with other lenses to reckon its def the lens.

Any advice /service offered appreciated.
    Thanks
    Trev

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Make: Panasonic

Item:
    Compact Camera

Model: DMC-LX5

Fault: System Error (Focus)

Error Code: FOCUS H
    18800802 HP Low detect error
    Focus encoder always detects low, and not becomes High

Problematic Part/Circuit: LENS FPC/DSP

When/how it happened:
    Recently upgraded firmware to 2.0. Took a hundred or so shots the other night & turned camera off. When I turned the camera back on, appears to start normally but then lens barrel locks up extended + above error on LCD. Camera's well over 1 year old, well used & has taken a few small knocks but none lately... any advice appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭EyeCake

Item: SLR

Model: T90

Fault: 1 of the carrying strap eyelets is broken

When/how it happened: This happened some years ago and have been using Digital since but was thinking I should try and fix if not too expensive as it is a great classic camera and also have 50mm 1.4 lens but I wonder if part is available
    Thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 22 St3ph3n

Item: DSLR Body
    Model: 550D
    Fault: The L.E.D display seems to be completely shot. At first it started to flicker and distort the menu or pictures. Now it doesn't display anything except for bars of random colour.

When/how it happened: Started randomly about 3 months after getting the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Model: 17-85 USM

Fault: Err 01 message

How/when it happened: A couple of months ago I started to notice the Err 01 message. It wasn't constant, and I kept using the lens for a while after and it only appeared occasionally. I upgraded to a new lens, and have left the 17-85 in a corner since. I just took it out for the first time since January, fired off 40-50 shots, and not one of them returned with the error message. Though the aperture was at its widest (4-5.6); I forgot to test it at narrower apertures.

Now I'd like to sell it, so I want prospective buyers to know how much it would be to have it repaired. Any ideas about how much it would be to repair? I'm trying to figure out a fair selling price.

SetOverSet wrote: »
    Make: Panasonic

Item:
    Compact Camera

Model: DMC-LX5

Fault: System Error (Focus)

Error Code: FOCUS H
    18800802 HP Low detect error
    Focus encoder always detects low, and not becomes High

Problematic Part/Circuit: LENS FPC/DSP

When/how it happened:
    Recently upgraded firmware to 2.0. Took a hundred or so shots the other night & turned camera off. When I turned the camera back on, appears to start normally but then lens barrel locks up extended + above error on LCD. Camera's well over 1 year old, well used & has taken a few small knocks but none lately... any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like it just needs a new Lens assembly/ if the part is available, the focus encoder.
    Alternatively it could just be damamged or dirty perhaps and malfunctioning.
    PM me for more details if you'd like.

EyeCake wrote: »

Item: SLR

Model: T90

Fault: 1 of the carrying strap eyelets is broken

When/how it happened: This happened some years ago and have been using Digital since but was thinking I should try and fix if not too expensive as it is a great classic camera and also have 50mm 1.4 lens but I wonder if part is available
    Thanks
    Paul

Hi Paul could you provide a picture of the said damaged/missing part area and Ill see if I can find the parts as they are available usually for the more common faults on the T90. If you want to PM me for an email address for the picture that would probably be easier.

St3ph3n wrote: »

Item: DSLR Body
    Model: 550D
    Fault: The L.E.D display seems to be completely shot. At first it started to flicker and distort the menu or pictures. Now it doesn't display anything except for bars of random colour.

When/how it happened: Started randomly about 3 months after getting the camera.

I would be happy to have a look for you and if the rest of the camera functions then it most likely is just the LCD display or LCD FPC at fault and needing replacement.
    PM me for more details?

Model: 17-85 USM

Fault: Err 01 message

How/when it happened: A couple of months ago I started to notice the Err 01 message. It wasn't constant, and I kept using the lens for a while after and it only appeared occasionally. I upgraded to a new lens, and have left the 17-85 in a corner since. I just took it out for the first time since January, fired off 40-50 shots, and not one of them returned with the error message. Though the aperture was at its widest (4-5.6); I forgot to test it at narrower apertures.

Now I'd like to sell it, so I want prospective buyers to know how much it would be to have it repaired. Any ideas about how much it would be to repair? I'm trying to figure out a fair selling price.

Hi, I will PM you the details of the cost so you can get a better idea. If it is the diaphragm fault I expect it is then the lens will function wide open at any focal length but if at the 17-24/35mm side anything more and it will give a fault.
    You can easily confirm this by just changing the aperture value at 17mm and pressing the DOF button, repeat through the range and you will see it probably doesn't function until either 24-35mm and will start to vibrate as you go further before fully functioning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just bought an olympus OM1n and it's missing one of the small screws which holds the baseplate on, and the motor drive socket cap; no immediate problem, but are those sort of parts easy to come by?
    the shutter speed dial is a bit stiff, but that's not something i'd try to rectify myself.

• Advertisement

i just bought an olympus OM1n and it's missing one of the small screws which holds the baseplate on, and the motor drive socket cap; no immediate problem, but are those sort of parts easy to come by?
    the shutter speed dial is a bit stiff, but that's not something i'd try to rectify myself.

Hi,

I'll have a look and see what I can find, I think I have some screws that would fit the bottom plate from an OM10 and I'll see if I can find one of the socket caps for you.
    I'd be happy to have a look as a stiff dial won't be anything major.
    Does the camera function as it should?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pretty much; i haven't had a chance to run a film through. the seller said the seals were good in it, but they look tired.

i may give you a shout about this in a week or two - very busy with other stuff at the moment, but it'd also include the 50mm 1.4 that i mentioned had developed a spot or two of fungus.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

Model: 24-105L

Fault: The usual aperture diaphragm error.

MobyDick wrote: »

Model: 24-105L

Fault: The usual aperture diaphragm error.
    I would be happy to have a lok at it for you? Pm me if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 David60d

Model: 17-85 Lens
    Fault: Error 01

Error 01 on screen from 17 to around 35, working ok above that,

David60d wrote: »
    Model: 17-85 Lens
    Fault: Error 01

Error 01 on screen from 17 to around 35, working ok above that,

That sounds like the standard diaphragm failure.
    Try setting the aperture value higher than wide open and press the DOF button, if the diaphragm doesn't respond at all (try 17mm first) then it is the diaphragm at fault and needs to be replaced.

This is caused by the diaphragm cable bending over time with change of focal length, eventually it cracks and causes this problem at 17-24/35mm (when the cable is bent the most) and eventually on to full failure at higher focal lengths.

PM me for details if you are interested in repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tearaway

Model: 580ex ii
    Fault: Flash powers up but won't fire - red light is on - LCD works - zoom works. Won't fire manually or on two different cameras.

Thanks

Tearaway wrote: »
    Model: 580ex ii
    Fault: Flash powers up but won't fire - red light is on - LCD works - zoom works. Won't fire manually or on two different cameras.

Thanks
    Most likely the bulb has burnt out and can be replaced without buying the whole motor and part of the head assembly.

The red light upon start up combined with all other functions working is pretty indicative of the bulb failing.

PM me for more details if you would like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vidhill

Model: 40D

Fault:

The shutter release button on my Canon 40D has started acting up, from Googling it seems like it's a common problem

Given the value on a 40D these days spending a lot (I've heard it costs a lot) repairing it would be a bit of false economy..

What are the opinions/options/people to talk to?

I'm based in Cork btw

Advertisement