Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Let me guess they appeared after the tango upgrade?

Hmmm, to be honest I can't remember when I first noticed it, but it is a tad unnerving. Anything like that always reminds of of GPU failure on a laptop!

It possibly is merely a software issue if it occurred post-Tango, or at least I'm hoping that's the case...

On a short aside, I'm beginning to get tempted by a custom flash. I'm craving customisation bigtime and this phone in its current state is just not fitting the bill for that crack!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm enjoying the Lumia all round, but my sole gripe is that the native MP3 player interface is vastly inferior to the one Nokia themselves provided on older phones, and I find myself carrying around my old 5800 to use as an independent MP3 player sooner than bother with the Lumia as a result.

Can anybody recommend a better app? In particular, I'd like to be able to tweak equalisation and skip around using a progress bar, but anything has to be better than this, it feels like going back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Have my Lumia 800 a week and really enjoying it.

My biggest tips for moving a lot of contacts 1500+ from old Nokia N8:

I sorted my contacts from my old N8 by syncing to Outlook 2003 in a standard pst file using OVI suite.
    I then cleaned up my contacts manually making sure the mobile number is in the mobile field, or sending an SMS will not be available within the contact on the Lumia phone.
    Then setup a windows live / hotmail account, I used live.ie as it has really good availability of desired names.
    Then downloaded and installed the Outlook Hotmail connector and setup my new live account in Outlook 2003.
    When that was up and running I copied my local contacts to the hotmail web connector contacts and they all synced to the live account with no issue.
    I have my windows live contacts syncing everyday with outlook 2003 aswell as my email and it works really well.

All a lot easier that uploading csv files and the like, I did not use the Bluetooth phone to phone contact transfer as my contacts really needed tidying up.

Would recommend anyone setting up a hotmail/windows live account as it pays off with the facebook and gmail interconnection. However be warned linking to your gmail contacts will show the contacts but will not allow you to edit them so a real pain on the phone hence I dropped this linkage.

The people section is really fantastic when linked to facebook. Phone works brilliantly even pairs to the nokia car kit without issue. Call quality is excellent and the browser is really good.

Nokia drive is brilliant.

A few minor quibbles:
    - You cannot text a contact to someone else as a vcf a basic feature that should be their.
    - Have issues with opening pdf files in email have reinstalled Adobe reader from the marketplace and restarted the phone 2 times and its still not displaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

I'm enjoying the Lumia all round, but my sole gripe is that the native MP3 player interface is vastly inferior to the one Nokia themselves provided on older phones, and I find myself carrying around my old 5800 to use as an independent MP3 player sooner than bother with the Lumia as a result.

Can anybody recommend a better app? In particular, I'd like to be able to tweak equalisation and skip around using a progress bar, but anything has to be better than this, it feels like going back in time.

I'd also love a better music player, my main problem with it being the lack of custom equilisation as I feel that bass is a little weak by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd also love a better music player, my main problem with it being the lack of custom equilisation as I feel that bass is a little weak by default.

Ditto. I've tried some of the others, but they seem to be basically the same functionality with a different look. I just want a bit of bass and a progress bar, is that so much to ask? :(

Also, am I raving or can you only listen to an artist album by album? Previous Nokias let you shuffle through all songs by a particular artist at a time. Maybe it's the Windows thang, but the music player is incredibly awkward given what it's competing with and it seems a little too blatantly geared towards streaming for my liking. It's a pretty frustrating weakness, I mean it seems like a decent music player should be something you can take for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭pedatron

Lads,

I have posted here before about unlocking and had no joy with it at all. Has anyone else come up with an easier way to unlock this phone? Finding it very difficult! This is coming from a fella who has unlocked Android phones and iPhones before¬

I unlocked my Meteor Lumia 800, had to go through the mobile company a long story but basically you need an 8 numeric only digit code that is supplied when you supply the mobile company with the phone's IMEI (dial *#06# ).

Then insert a foreign SIM and you will be immediately prompted for the code, enter is and away you go. Or if unlocking with your current working sim follow below:

1.Switch the handset on
    2.Enter your PIN
    3.Now enter ##782#
    4.Press Call
    5.The customer will then be required to enter the ‘PIN’ , this is the unlocking code.

You get 10 attempts.

Be aware that their is a lot of ignorance of this procedure even from phone companies and their support agents. If they give you the old nokia unlock procedure, bringing up the P and W characters by multiple presses of the * key they are WRONG and it does not work.

I should add the Adobe pdf reader is now working fine for new mails its the initial email attachment that had a pdf file triggering the Adobe reader download that does not open. So no issue their now.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭pedatron

I unlocked my Meteor Lumia 800, had to go through the mobile company a long story but basically you need an 8 numeric only digit code that is supplied when you supply the mobile company with the phone's IMEI (dial *#06# ).

Then insert a foreign SIM and you will be immediately prompted for the code, enter is and away you go. Or if unlocking with your current working sim follow below:

1.Switch the handset on
    2.Enter your PIN
    3.Now enter ##782#
    4.Press Call
    5.The customer will then be required to enter the ‘PIN’ , this is the unlocking code.

You get 10 attempts.

Be aware that their is a lot of ignorance of this procedure even from phone companies and their support agents. If they give you the old nokia unlock procedure, bringing up the P and W characters by multiple presses of the * key they are WRONG and it does not work.

Many thanks for the reply. Very clear and accurate instructions. It's on o2 while I'm with emobile. Had you any problems getting the unlock code off of them as you weren't an actual customer with them?

Had a load of grief getting the unlock code off Meteor they kept supplying the older type Nokia unlock code and procedure took over 3 weeks to persuade them they were wrong, Nokia Lumia's have an entirely different unlocking code system, eventually got their.

Do not know what O2 is like. I have gotten old unlock codes from them before (Nokia N8, E52 etc) for old nokia's without issue. Usually I email the request through putting the phone number and IMEI on the email and send to customer.care@o2.com stress the phone is a Lumia 800 windows phone, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Also, am I raving or can you only listen to an artist album by album? Previous Nokias let you shuffle through all songs by a particular artist at a time. Maybe it's the Windows thang, but the music player is incredibly awkward given what it's competing with and it seems a little too blatantly geared towards streaming for my liking. It's a pretty frustrating weakness, I mean it seems like a decent music player should be something you can take for granted.

When you are scroling through the list of artists just press the big Play icon beside the artist name; that plays every song by the artist by album order.

Although there isn't a "scrubber" to skip to parts of a song when a track is playing, you can hold down the Next or Previous buttons to fast forward / rewind. Its a bit painful if you have an hour long mix mp3 but its better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Loving the lumia, and the OS ,
    but i have one major gripe , the phone must be left on for the alarm to function ? Seriously thats a stupid thing to have to do, surely it wouldnt be too hard to allow this.
    I know you can turn on airplane mode etc etc, but surely it would use more battery than just turning off the phone for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Loving the lumia, and the OS ,
    but i have one major gripe , the phone must be left on for the alarm to function ? Seriously thats a stupid thing to have to do, surely it wouldnt be too hard to allow this.
    I know you can turn on airplane mode etc etc, but surely it would use more battery than just turning off the phone for the night.

Since I got my first phone ever I have never bothered to switch the phone off for the night. If I want to save battery I pop it onto flight mode.

The only thing I miss from older Nokia's is that alarms used to work even if the phone battery went dead :(

Since I got my first phone ever I have never bothered to switch the phone off for the night. If I want to save battery I pop it onto flight mode.

The only thing I miss from older Nokia's is that alarms used to work even if the phone battery went dead :(
    Its just a habit thing really, but otherwise im enjoying the lumia very much .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

If that is all it's needed for it's ideal, I got my misses the pink one, at 129 it's a bargain. Easy enough to unlock or tell voda your travelling with work when buying it.

Thanks for the reply. Can get the pink one for €109 on Voda and they're doing some deal with a bluetooth kit free with Lumia phones so seems like a really good deal.

I know a few people with bill accounts on Voda so should be able to pick up a NAC handy enough hopefully.
    Cool it's a pity the cyan one is not on the networks here that's a really nice colour.

Yeah that one looks really good. It's a nice change though to see a bit of colour in the designs of the Lumia range.
    The new 820/920 have some funky colors too.

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Cool it's a pity the cyan one is not on the networks here that's a really nice colour.
    Isnt the back cover swappable , i have the lumia 710 and it came with a cyan back cover as well as the black standard one ?

Yeah that one looks really good. It's a nice change though to see a bit of colour in the designs of the Lumia range.

Too bad we will probably never see any of those in retail shops. I would have loved a cyan 800.

I'm dreaming of getting a red or yellow 920 :)

Adobe reader 10.1 just up on market place a big improvement recommend people install this update.

Check out the Adobe writeup:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/readermobile/2012/09/06/adobe-reader-10-1-now-available-for-windows-phone-7-5/

Too bad we will probably never see any of those in retail shops. I would have loved a cyan 800.

I'm dreaming of getting a red or yellow 920 :)
    We will be seeing them, I can confirm that now.

Nokia Lumia 610 reviewed in this month's PC Pro (Oct 12, issue 216) page 113 get's 5/6 stars overall. Looks ideal for the basics. Phone, Internet, email and Nokia Drive.

Angry Birds is not available on it according to the review.

Well I used the 610 for a week while my Titan was away and it was a pretty good phone. Now apps will run quite slow on it. Depends how well their optimized for lower end hardware, but the phone itself flies.

I would watch out for the hardware buttons too, seen two of them broken so far.

Well I used the 610 for a week while my Titan was away and it was a pretty good phone. Now apps will run quite slow on it. Depends how well their optimized for lower end hardware, but the phone itself flies.

Thats why people should really stump up the extra money for the 710 , much better processer.
    €175 delivered from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

We have the 710, great little phone.
    Carphonewarehouse in NI have it for £99 + £10 topup and it's unlocked.

Thats why people should really stump up the extra money for the 710 , much better processer.
    €175 delivered from amazon.
    Depending on your needs, the 610 is more sleek looking.

• Advertisement

breathn wrote: »
    We have the 710, great little phone.
    Carphonewarehouse in NI have it for £99 + £10 topup and it's unlocked.
    Goes to show how much we get shafted down here I always go north if I can't get one here or I don't get test devices.

Advertisement