Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl are doing bird food again on the 14th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest I think it's all over priced.

Avoid the netting on some of their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Overpriced? Please let me know where to find it cheaper?
    Last week I bought 1kg of mix seeds in Tesco and it was twice as expensive.
    B&Q and similar stores do not have it cheaper either.

Thanks,

PS: really enjoy reading your posts, very knowledgeable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

gzoladz wrote: »

All of those big DIY stores and supermarkets are rip off merchants when it comes to bird food. The Lidl stuff is better value, but you will get cheaper if you shop around. Some pet shops have great value and if you are buying bulk, some of the online suppliers are worth checking out. For example, I buy 25Kg of high quality mixed seed for €18 in Pet World in Sallynoggin. You'd pay the same for half that in a certain DIY store and it would be mostly made up of cheap cereal grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

This is great to know thanks! Nice to stock up now the weather is going to get colder and the little guys will need it more:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

Linguo wrote: »
    This is great to know thanks! Nice to stock up now the weather is going to get colder and the little guys will need it more:)

dont forget to store it in Mouse proof conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gzoladz wrote: »
    Ah well now, buying in a Supermarket is madness. Infact buying a 1kg bag is nonsense. Buy loose from Pet Stores keep away from pre-packed stuff. I buy either 5kg or more of seed and nuts at a time or even buy 25kg sacks. Avoid convenince stores; go to pet stores! Jollies in Newry are great value (but I'm only 10 minutes from them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

not quite the same but if ye are near any farmers co ops i would recommend going in there.
    i can get a 25kg bag of rolled barley for €6
    bag of rolled oats is the same price.
    a 20kg bag of chicken feed for €10-11.

i know its not the same and might not be as good as some of them fat balls but at those prices you'd be a fool not to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Don't have the storage for 25 kg bags so 1kg bag it is!

Anyone know where I could pick up one or two empty biscuit tins? Preferably ones where the lid can be closed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭secman

John mac wrote: »
    dont forget to store it in Mouse proof conditions.

Had all my peanuts and seed etc in mouse proof containers but had a box of grass seed in a cardboard box and the mice got at it, had to do a double take, i was walking past a workbench and noticed a large mound of seed at the opposite end from where the Box was placed ! Some work in that, the hole in the box was extremely small and it was also in a plastic bag !

Anywys grass seed is now in a mouse proof container and 3 of the mice are in the next world !

Secman

• Advertisement

I see the Lidl sunflower seeds are the striped type. Do birds really prefer the black sunflower seeds or is there no difference?

I picked up some products this evenning. There were a good portion of peanuts in with the sunflower seeds. Were the sunflower crop a bit poor this year?

I don't 'do' fat balls as I do not have a fat ball feeder.

Lidl have coconuts for 99c. Cut them in half and hang them out for the tits.

Advertisement