Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio Internet streams

• 29-03-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

RTE changed the underlying real audio url of their radio streams on Wednesday and since my Reciva powered internet radio doesn't support the .smil format RTE use I can't use my internet radios for Radio 1, 2fm and Lyric.

I've looked at the content of the smil files for each station and can't extract a useable url for the real audio content.

Does anyone know what the actual urls for the real audio streams are? The streams that worked until this week are:

rtsp://streaming.rte.ie/encoder/radio1.rm
    rtsp://89.207.56.7/broadcast/lyric.rm
    rtsp://89.207.56.7/broadcast/radio1mw.rm

Now the smil file for Radio 1 reports a url of rtsp://../1516.rm1 - which is useless for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Hmmm...I've just answered my own question - the following url works for RTE Radio 1:

rtsp://89.207.56.7/broadcast/1516.rm.1

RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta is on:
    rtsp://89.207.56.7/broadcast/2122.rm.1

RTE Lyric fm is at:
    rtsp://89.207.56.7/broadcast/1920.rm.1

RTE 2fm is at:
    rtsp://89.207.56.7/broadcast/1718.rm.1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

rlogue wrote: »
    RTE changed the underlying real audio url of their radio streams on Wednesday and since my Reciva powered internet radio doesn't support the .smil format RTE use I can't use my internet radios for Radio 1, 2fm and Lyric.

I've looked at the content of the smil files for each station and can't extract a useable url for the real audio content.

They do this regularly despite suggesting how great they are for Internet Radio they make it nearly impossible for anything other than a PC browser.

Thanks, I'll stick these into my phone (again).

Watty, I have a 3 Skypephone - is it possible to play these streams on 3G phones? That would let me listen to RTE Radio in the car...

I listen on a Nokia E65, but I have no data package. I use WiFi at home and away I use a WiFi Router converted to battery with PCMCIA Digiweb Mobile Internet. EDGE/3G/HSDPA will work assuming an affordable data package.

I have to create a streaming link in Gallery for RealPlayer. It doesn't work with embedded webpage links.

• Advertisement

I've replaced the numeric IP address used in My Streams with streaming.rte.ie - this now works - again.

RTE Radio 1:
    rtsp://streaming.rte.ie/broadcast/1516.rm.1

RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta is on:
    rtsp://streaming.rte.ie/broadcast/2122.rm.1

RTE Lyric fm is at:
    rtsp://streaming.rte.ie/broadcast/1920.rm.1

RTE 2fm is at:
    rtsp://streaming.rte.ie/broadcast/1718.rm.1

This is the second time in a week I've had to change the RTE radio stations!

I emailed transmission@rte.ie about this issue on Saturday and have yet to hear from them. Is there another email address I should use?

You would think with the shutdown of 567 kHz they would try at least to use the same bloody address for their Internet streams?

What would be so hard about
    rtsp://rp.rte.ie/1.rm
    rtsp://rp.rte.ie/2.rm
    rtsp://rp.rte.ie/t.rm
    rtsp://rp.rte.ie/l.rm

For keyboard challanged PDA/WiFi/gadget/phone users?
    And change to
    xxxx://wm.rte.ie/etc
    yyyy://qt.rte.ie/etc

for what ever default protocol Windows Media Player and Quick Time use.

NOTE THESE ARE SUGGESTIONS NOT REAL LINKS!

Too easy for users to type in?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Can somebody post up up the full Windows Media Audio links.

I've tried http: and mms: with .asf and .asx extensions using the format suggested by Watty.

I refuse to use Real Audio!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

I noticed this happended last week but if you go into the link in Reciva's website you cal tell them about the new link to RTE. I did this last week & it I was able to tune in again over the weekend but I notice this morning its gone again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jerbust21

Just noticed RTE Radio 1 stream will not play once again on me Reciva radio, and it also seems it won’t play via their web site. All this when they closed down their MW service. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

More Music wrote: »
    Can somebody post up up the full Windows Media Audio links.

I've tried http: and mms: with .asf and .asx extensions using the format suggested by Watty.

I refuse to use Real Audio!:mad:

Why refuse Real Audio? At least you can use alternative players. Windows Media is even more proprietary.

My links are NOT REAL!!!!

They are suggestions of the kind of links RTE ought to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

It's just a preference really. Used it years ago but found RA installed so much rubbish it just seemed to bog down my PC.

I can get RTE on my radio anyway so I'm not too bothered. Why do RTE use RA and nearly every other station use WMA? WMA is available to nearly everybody with a computer.

I know the BBC use RA but if you have a UK IP address you can also use WMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

Updated Information http://www.rte.ie/radio/worldwide.html
    Internet Radio
    We are informed that Internet Radios which do not support Realaudio format were purchased by listeners. Presently RTÉ streams to the Internet ONLY on Realaudio so unfortunately some listeners cannot receive us on those radios. Please ensure that your intended Internet Radio purchase supports Realaudio format.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

More Music wrote: »
    It's just a preference really. Used it years ago but found RA installed so much rubbish it just seemed to bog down my PC.

I can get RTE on my radio anyway so I'm not too bothered. Why do RTE use RA and nearly every other station use WMA? WMA is available to nearly everybody with a computer.

I know the BBC use RA but if you have a UK IP address you can also use WMA.

Not finger waging at anyone, just a more general point, its been mentioned a few times throughout boards before. I could understand why people were don't like if it installed loads of systray icons etc, hijack file associations, but if care was taken in the install process, it is avoidable.

As for using real audio in the first place, its a legacy from the mid to late 90's, when Real Networks were one of the first to do streaming audio.

As watty correctly said, Windows Media has been seen as anti-competitive, thats why the EC said that when Microsoft sold Vista in Europe, it must have separate versions that do not have Windows Media Player installed, hence Vista Home Basic N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lamplighter

I got this directly from RTE towards the end of March:

"I am happy to report that we are in the final testing phases of Windows Media versions of all our radio streams. We hope to launch it by next week."

So with any luck that will be going live soon. I think enough people have actually complained about the Real format. They've saved about €1m on closing down MW so rather than blow it all on DAB it would be good to see them deliver a decent quality set of streams.

There are alternative to Real player to play RealMedia. IMO they should do 3 or 4 (QT, WM, Real and whatever is favorite OSS at the mo).

The biggest issue is how inaccessible the links are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

watty wrote: »
    whatever is favorite OSS at the mo
    Probably Ogg Vorbis for streaming audio. It would be nice if they offered that and or MP3 or AAC at a reasonable bitrate for people who care about sound quality - if they just offer the URL hidden somewhere it wouldn't use too much bandwidth. And for the case of Vorbis it won't cost them anything in licensing and is supported by pretty much every computer platform one way or another (unlike every other codec - dunno about support with internet radios).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lamplighter

The WMP streams have been live now for over a month and working really well. Found by Fugros from the Sonos forums but they are not published yet.

Radio 1:
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1.asx

Radio 1 Extra:
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1extra.asx

2fm:
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/2fm.asx

Lyric FM:
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/lyric.asx

Radio na Gaeltachta:
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/rnag.asx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The worst is the fact that they used to have good podcasts that could use iTunes - easy and pleasant to navigate, and you could save them to iPod or CD and play them in the car.

Trying to navigate on Real Player is hideous - a blunt instrument. If you try to move the cursor back a smidge to hear a sentence again, you have to patiently listen to three or four paragraphs before getting to it. Horrid.

Why on earth did they revert to a worse technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

Hey, I can't get rte rtsp streams to work on my E51, realplayer says it can't find the server... have tried all the addresses supplied above... anyone know of a stream address that'll work on E51? (ha, can listen fine to BBCWS)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 odonnghaille

Did anyone get the Irish internet stations working on Linuxs Rhythmbox?

Could open a big discussion here... Why does Rte broadcast in WM format and Real player?? They make tonnes of cash surely they can deliver to the open source community and make it patron friendly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"patron friendly" and "open source streaming" do not go hand in hand.

The best format available, AAC+, means that Windows users have to download codecs and Mac users have to download alternative programmes AND change file handlers as iTunes will try; and fail to handle it

Ogg requires 90% of users to download codecs which, on Windows, are really flaky.

mp3 isn't actually a good stream format...

RTE keep changing the URLs. I've given up on them and just use VHF/FM radio for RTE now.

BBC don't, I have real player links saved over a year ago on my E65. They are very big links created by browsing BBC website on the phone.

You can try these for BBC.
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio1/live/r1_dsat_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/1xtra/live/1xtra_dsat_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio2/live/r2_dsat_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive-acl/ev7/live24/radio5/sportsextra/live/r5sx_tl_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/6music/live/6music_dsat_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/bbc7/live/bbc7_dsat_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive-acl/ev7/live24/radio5/live/r5_tl_g2.ra
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/worldservice/liveinfent.ra
    rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/worldservice/livenews_v8.ra

They are NOT the links I use on my phone, but the R4 one works pasted into "File Open" on "real alternative"/"Media Player Classic".

On PC you don't have to use RealPlayer:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_Alternative.htm

This also looks good resource for rtsp bbc links on phone
    http://beebotron.org/

Also
    http://mymediasystem.org/wiki/index.php/RadioStations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

MYOB wrote: »
    ... Ogg requires 90% of users to download codecs which, on Windows, are really flaky ...
    I believe direct support for ogg (vorbis and theora) is to be integrated into Firefox. Perhaps that will change the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jaedi

watty wrote: »
    What would be so hard about
    rtsp://rp.rte.ie/1.rm

I live abroad and don't fancy the idea of being tied to my computer to listen in.

I've bought an Apple AirPort Express to stream MP3s, podcasts, etc from iTunes to another room over wifi but iTunes can't read RTE's RealAudio stream.

VLC seems to support streaming so I installed it in the hope of converting the RTE stream to a local stream in a format that iTunes can read. Unfortunately, I can't get the configuration right. Would anyone be able to help? The current streaming URL in radio1.smil is rtsp://live2.rte.ie/redundant/1516.ra.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

All help greatly appreciated!

Update:

Some success with RTE's wma stream mms://live2.rte.ie/wmtencoder/1516.wma. I've configured VLC to convert to an MP3 stream locally over http.

There's a bit of a delay compared to the direct live stream on RTE's website. Also seems to struggle at times if the computer is busy with other processes so maybe not the best for music unless you've got a powerful CPU - but possibly good enough for talk radio.

A bit flaky but it's the best result I've had so far.

Update 2

Finally, I found a solution that removes the weakest link (iTunes):
    http://jaedi.eu/2009/04/rte-radio-audio-streaming/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tretle

hmmmm.... .ogg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grellan1

Having updated to Ubuntu9.04, I lost my Irish radio stations on Linux Rhythmbox Player...
    I then installed the vlc player and used the .asx links as per Lamplighters post. They worked.

On the Rhythmbox Player I inputted the following which have worked:

RTE Radio 1
    mms://live1.rte.ie/wmtencoder/1516.wma
    RnG Radio
    mms://live1.rte.ie/wmtencoder/2122.wma
    RTE RADIO 2fm
    mms://live1.rte.ie/wmtencoder/1718.wma
    Lyric FM
    mms://live1.rte.ie/wmtencoder/1920.wma
    NewstalkFM
    http://newstalk.fmstreams.com:8080/

Has anyone got up-to-date BBC radio links?
    I,too, try to avoid Realplayer if I can!
    Grellan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭click_here!!!

Hi, I'm Shane and I'm new here.:D

I've been using Ubuntu for the past few years and have enjoyed it immensley, including the Rhythmbox music application. I am writing this post to ask what do you think about my idea on Ubuntu Brainstorm ( http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25364/ ) - to get Ubuntu LoCo (localization) teams to populate different radio lists for each country for Rhythmbox (or other linux radio applications). That way, as soon as the new user sets up their Ubuntu desktop, a list of radio stations that they are familiar with is available at their fingertips. It will be easy as going to an analogue radio and turning the dial!

I realize that this is an old thread , but I would like some Open-Source users to critique my idea. :D

Advertisement