Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Rooting in Dublin

Options
  • 05-02-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I foolishly bought a samsung S5 when I was in china last year, the one country without google! So now I cant get the play store and various other things. I've been onto Samsung and they have unofficially told me that I have to root the phone myself. I've looked into this and would be confident doing it with a standard EU model but it seems a little more complicated with the china model.

Looking for somewhere in Dublin that I can get this done to that I dont ruin my phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Millser wrote: »
    Hi,

I foolishly bought a samsung S5 when I was in china last year, the one country without google! So now I cant get the play store and various other things. I've been onto Samsung and they have unofficially told me that I have to root the phone myself. I've looked into this and would be confident doing it with a standard EU model but it seems a little more complicated with the china model.

Looking for somewhere in Dublin that I can get this done to that I dont ruin my phone?

I rooted a New Zealand S4 myself, I just searched for "root s4" and downloaded software, it was easy and phone was absolutely fine until I replaced it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is that Chinese model the same as the Australian model? If so, it might be the SM-G900I.

There's a sticker behind the battery on the phone, which has the specific model number. Have a look at that to be sure. Once you find out the model, then you're sorted.

There's an app that might give you the correct model as well:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dama.hardwareinfo

There's also a tool that roots various models. I reckon it should work with yours, and you'll be good to go with it yourself.
    Have a look here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2696537

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Vital that you establish the exact model before you do anything else. The Chinese variants can be pretty different in terms of hardware and flashing an incorrect ROM can leave you bricked. You don't need an app for this, just go into the phone's settings and choose the phone section - it will give you the model number there.

Once you establish the model you can figure out if there will be benefits. I know with the Chinese variant of the s6 that it is unable to use 4g here as they use a different standard, the radio was different so not an issue fixable by flashing and the 3g frequencies were not supported here either.

Advertisement