Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FTA Self Install

• 14-06-2005 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

I just bought a setup in Aldi germany that I got sent over. Including shipping it cost me 100euro. Once received I tried to install it the hard way with a small compass and basic tools. Could get nothing and got worried. Decided to buy a Sat Finder kit where of course I got RIPPED OFF in Maplin near parnel street (65.99euro !!!!) but it did the job thankfully. Now I am all setup and I mounted my 60cm dish at the back of the house.
    But of course after reading all your posts !! I got addicted and I bought a Moteck Motor from satellite.ie where tony was very helpful ! I cant wait now to receive the motor and get more channels. But yes I know I will have to get a bigger dish now to get even more channels! But it will wait for now.

I wanted to share my selfinstall experience and as I read in some other post it feels good to have it done successful.

Now I am saving some cash to get my hands on a DreamBox 7020s. Any irish reviews yet ? anybody has one ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I sincerely hope thats not you Tony :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Welcome to the boards, aledoux. What kind of Sat Finder meter was it?

Good luck with the motor setup, though I do strongly recommend at least 80cm for a motor.

As for the Dreambox 7020S, I dunno of anyone here who has one, though Ronan|Raven on these boards does have the 500S AFAIK. Maybe a few others too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I sincerely hope thats not you Tony :)

LOL I think i'd be a bit more subtle :) Aledoux thanks for the kind words

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aledoux

Well yes I need a 80cm dish alright. But I ll get that a bit later.
    Would you recommend a dreamBox or a DG Station ?
    Anybody has a DG Station. I would be interested on being able to record on hard disk of receiver.

I have a problem as well:
    I have the aerial cable and the satellite cable connected to a dual socket bought in B&Q and when I watch TV3 with satellite cable connected the pictures is of bad quality. When I unplug the satellite cable from the socket it is fine.
    Any solution for that except than not having the dual socket ?
    Any experience.

The sat finder was:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?Criteria=sat%20finder&doy=15m6

858i0.jpg

Ok received the motor one day after I ordered it. I installed it following the manual but wasnt too clear with the declination angle for the dish so here is a tip if you plan on installing a motor yourself with basic equipment like me:
    - compass
    - sattelite finder
    - moteck motor
    - 60cm dish
    - Aldi FTA receiver

I had the dish installed on the mast and connected on the receiver was all working fine.
    I then bought that motor and installed it. Once you have everything connected I couldnt receive any satellite so I just connected my satellite finder on the cable and searched for a satellite and setup the declination angle myself. And there you go that is alll setup.
    I then moved to the receiver and was searching was other satellite found only a few coz of the size dish I have :(

Anyway the installlation was pretty easy and everybody can do it no problem, well using a satellite finder of course.

Now I receive channels from Astra 28.2E, astra 19.2E eurobird ??E, hotbird 13E. That gives me around 100+ channels (french/english) wish I could speak german.

QUESTION:
    The dish holder on the wall seems to be designed just for a dish and not for a dish and a 4kg motor. Any tips on reinforcing my current wall bracket other than changing it and making more holes in the wall ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

aledoux wrote:
    I have a problem as well:
    I have the aerial cable and the satellite cable connected to a dual socket bought in B&Q and when I watch TV3 with satellite cable connected the pictures is of bad quality. When I unplug the satellite cable from the socket it is fine.
    Any solution for that except than not having the dual socket ?

Worth a read:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/Resources/Multiple%20Outlet%20Plates.pdf

aledoux wrote:
    Now I receive channels from Astra 28.2E, astra 19.2E eurobird ??E, hotbird 13E. That gives me around 100+ channels (french/english) wish I could speak german.

Hispasat 30 West should also be fine on a 60cm and it would be a good test to check that your motor is fully aligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I find using the actual satellite to set declination is the easiest and most accurate way (as I think you did) , 5 and 8 w are useful for this

aledoux wrote:
    Ok received the motor one day after I ordered it. I installed it following the manual but wasnt too clear with the declination angle for the dish so here is a tip if you plan on installing a motor yourself with basic equipment like me:
    - compass
    - sattelite finder
    - moteck motor
    - 60cm dish
    - Aldi FTA receiver

I had the dish installed on the mast and connected on the receiver was all working fine.
    I then bought that motor and installed it. Once you have everything connected I couldnt receive any satellite so I just connected my satellite finder on the cable and searched for a satellite and setup the declination angle myself. And there you go that is alll setup.
    I then moved to the receiver and was searching was other satellite found only a few coz of the size dish I have :(

Anyway the installlation was pretty easy and everybody can do it no problem, well using a satellite finder of course.

QUESTION:
    The dish holder on the wall seems to be designed just for a dish and not for a dish and a 4kg motor. Any tips on reinforcing my current wall bracket other than changing it and making more holes in the wall ;)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

I'll be facing the self-install lark myself too - with the help of friends - have just ordered some kit at Conrad.de (80 cm dish, digital receiver, wall mount, simple (acoustic) sat finder and 25 m cable set for 128 E incl. shipping and insurance) and want to point to ASTRA 1 - for all them German channels :D. I can see myself hopping around the chimney (at least a nice long pole is alrady there, new dish will go on top (after removing that old Mulitchannel (oops Chorus) MMDS thingie). Am a bit scared escpecially about the "on the roof" bit - at least it is just a bungalow and the slope of the roof isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

There's no advantage in putting a dish on a chimney, unless you're unable to get a line-of-sight on the ground. You also run the risk in high winds of your dish and chimney ending up in the front lawn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Kinda took the advice from here too re: chimney mounting. Luckily managed to get line of sight from the shed wall, so now just got to bury the cable! I really wouldn't fancy trying to do a self install on a chimney myself - it can be a lot of messing to get the best reception. Much better on two feet on the ground :D

Then again height's wouldn't be my favourite anyway - delighted I got the analogue terrestrial reception with the aerials in the loft... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

aledoux wrote:
    - compass
    - sattelite finder
    - moteck motor
    - 60cm dish
    - Aldi FTA receiver

)

Aledoux Can you do me a favour plz? Give a signal / quality reading for "Classic FM TV" on 28.2
    Also what is your general location

regards
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Macy,
    Just a pointer, if ytou are going to bury the cable, make sure you run it in some piping / ducting to stop rats or mice or other little things eating it.

MJ

Tapest,

My location is rush, co Dublin and dish is mounted above back sliding door. I will post the signal quality tomorrow.

mjsmyth wrote:
    Macy,
    Just a pointer, if ytou are going to bury the cable, make sure you run it in some piping / ducting to stop rats or mice or other little things eating it.

MJ
    Yeah was planning on running it through some qualplex that's left on site. Was more thinking protection from compression damage as it'll be under stone/gravel rather than vermin tbh....

Tapest,

Signal reaading for classic FM TV is C/N 8.5 the signal is between orange and green in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

aledoux wrote:
    Tapest,

Signal reaading for classic FM TV is C/N 8.5 the signal is between orange and green in fact.

Thanks aledoux, but..................

It's probable me, being a bit thicker than usual, but that makes no sense to me. I was expecting a percentage reading, eg Strength 82% , Quality 78% dropping to 50% fluctuating rapidly.........or something similar.

I have a couple of experiments to try , when i get a chance, to see what I need to upgrade ( lnb or dish etc) to get my one "must have " station. This Quality fluctuation only happens on a couple of transponders, the rest of 28.2 satellite is near crystal clear.
    If you get a chance to flick the "info" button on your control I'd appreciate it.
    Regards
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Macy wrote:
    - delighted I got the analogue terrestrial reception with the aerials in the loft... :cool:

You're in wicklow . right ?
    maybe you can get digital terrestrial too ?

worth a shot

Pal wrote:
    You're in wicklow . right ?
    maybe you can get digital terrestrial too ?

worth a shot
    It's on the list. Particularly when in the new house and the new tele I got a (unwatchable) ITV Wales on a set top areial though one of the shít booster's. Which reminds me to check what channel its on so I have some idea where it's coming from....

Height not the issue, local terrain maybe - no line of sight to any transmitter. At the moment, it isn't really priority though with a FTV card. Also a question of my bottle for roof working. :D

Advertisement