Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Perugia

Options
  • 22-05-2005 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I'm studying Italian in college, and this summer I'm going to Perugia for a month (july) to study Italian...the only thing is I've never been to Italy before-well skiing across the border doesn't count-and I'm quite nervous, I can read Italian pretty well but when it comes to actually talking to people I can understand what they are saying...it just takes a while..particularly if they have a southern accent-ba!

I'm also nervous about public transport (it's a thing I have&also I'll be relying on it quite a bit).

Basicly I was just wondering has anyone been to Perugia, if so, what is good and what should I avoid :) And if anyone could explain how the public transport system works, my mind would be greatly relieved! (e.g. can you pay on the buses there like you can here, or do you have to buy a ticket before hand-if so where? Also with trains, I was told that I'd have to validate them before i got on the train.....huh...? Basicly what is the public transport system like-reliable, or is it like the French system, constantly on strike...?or so it would appear at times)

Also in Rome is Termini station as dodgy as I've been led to believe (ie dont trust ANYONE, they are ALL out to steal your personal belongings...think that lady might o gone in for a lil bit of overkill...hmm)

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated!!

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

In Rome, and Termini in particular, the old adage of fidarsi è bene, non fidarsi è meglio is a good rule of thumb. This is not to mean that everyone is out to scam you - but the ones that do are more likely to approach you and offer to ‘help’ (most notably unregulated abusivi cab drivers).

There’s no reason to be completely paranoid though. Just a little bit. Just keep your wits about you as you would in any big city, that’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Just remember to validate your ticket on any form of transport. This is done by inserting your ticket frontways into the validator (which shouldn't be hard to find in a station, on the wall somewhere). The amount of times I forget to do this...

On buses usually you have to buy your tickets from the local tabaccheria/bar. However, some services will sell you a ticket onboard at a slightly higher price.

Public transport in Italy is generally very good. Trains especially leave on time. You shouldn't have a problem.

Advertisement