Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mega **Management Company** thread

1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GregGregson

Its a 96 unit development so it´s big but not huge.Unfortunately the current directors are acquiescent to the management as they live in the houses which only have to pay half the amount in fees so they´ll want to keep the status quo. I live in a duplex and we were told at the last agm that Wyse, not us, own our backgarden which were never told when buying the house from the estate agents nor has it ever been alluded to before.In that case shouldn´t they be coming around to cut the grass in my backgarden as well. I couldn´t make it to that agm but i´m looking into it. They just seem to play by their own rules

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jd

Wyse do not own your back garden. They are the Management Agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GregGregson

I don´t know why they said that then.

I don´t know why they said that then.

Perhaps they said the Management Company own the gardens. This wouldn't be Wyse.

You have a long lease on your property (maybe 900) years, probably including the garden

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Its a 96 unit development so it´s big but not huge.Unfortunately the current directors are acquiescent to the management as they live in the houses which only have to pay half the amount in fees so they´ll want to keep the status quo. I live in a duplex and we were told at the last agm that Wyse, not us, own our backgarden which were never told when buying the house from the estate agents nor has it ever been alluded to before.In that case shouldn´t they be coming around to cut the grass in my backgarden as well. I couldn´t make it to that agm but i´m looking into it. They just seem to play by their own rules

You really need to read up on management companies, management agents, your Lease contract, the MUD Act, and more. Your management fee is a set percentage of the cost of running the development. I can't see how someone can be allowed to only pay half a fee, legally.

Either way, it sounds like you have a lot of questions to ask at the next AGM. And, don't forget, if you can't make it in person, you can send someone in your place, who can ask questions and vote on your behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Ring up the ODCE and ask for a free copy of the management company handbook to be posted out to you, then get your companies articles from the CRO site for a few quid. You will need to get your solicitor to get your contract lease document unless you already have a copy.

Houses are not paying 'half' they are paying their proportional part of the service fee as calculated and as laid out in the budget issued to you prior to the AGM which even if you could not attend you should still be able to read.

You will see that the houses are private dwellings and so contribute towards things like the greens, boundary walls and company costs like everyone else. What they don't pay for is elements associated with the common buildings (apartments.) As the company pays for the maintenance and block insurance on this building for all those who own a unit in it that element is built into the service fee. It will obviously be higher. Bear in mind that home owners have to procure their own buildings insurance and pay for all their own maintenance which can work out more expensive. Be sure you make a like for like comparison.

If your OMC owns the garden then maybe they should be cutting it. Are they open and accessible or secure to each owner? Do the company have access at all times unhindered? Is this outlined in the contract lease? read, read, read....otherwise its just guess work and someone's 'honest word' that what they are telling you is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭In the wind

Hey, who out there has had experience with Wyse Management? I´ve been dealing with them for five years now and am sick of their smug attitude and paying out for nebulous expenses such as ¨sundry items 500E¨, ¨secretarial cost 1000E¨(should that not be included in their fee of 16,000?), ¨after hours helpline (for what ?!) 1,000E¨ - among many other things. These manag1ement companies have been taking the piss for too long, and now with the property tax and water tax coming there is no possible justificiation for these kinds of extraneous expenses

Hi Greg,
    I am currently looking at Smithfield Village as a potential property & I noted that they are managed by Wyse also but the projected annual fee is much smaller.
    I'm alos surprised at these extra perfectly round figures, I'd be seeking a breakout of these expenses - withiut detail & perhaps receipts it looks like they may be pulling numbers out of the sky & also why are these not planned in the first instance?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

usefulltip wrote: »
    Your absolutely right they never itemise anything so you get screwed! Ask Wyse about cost efficiencies and they play bumb. Challenge them on everything and insist on getting costs down by 25% or else they will get bined for new progressive management companies over old inefficient pratices!

Wyse are not the management company, they are only a management agent. At your AGM, the full budget should be proposed and voted on. If you have queries, that is your chance to raise them. The directors of the management company should be able to justify any proposed costs. Wyse simply do as they are told by the directors of the management company, who you elect.

Paulw wrote: »
    Wyse simply do as they are told by the directors of the management company, who you elect.
    Ha, Wyse resigned as agents of our development a few years ago! They didn't like being told what to do by the owners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jd wrote: »
    Ha, Wyse resigned as agents of our development a few years ago! They didn't like being told what to do by the owners :)
    It's possible that the owners were being unreasonable.

• Advertisement

It's possible that the owners were being unreasonable.
    I'm sure that happens too.

Advertisement