Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roedelius 'Snapshots/Sidesteps CD Reviews

• 03-05-2007 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

'Metro' Newspaper Thursday 3rd of May 2007

Hans-Joachim Roedelius
    Snapshots/Sidesteps
    Psychonavigation

In a world fairer than this one,Hans-Joachim Roedelius would be a household name.The Berliner was there with Brian Eno at the dawn of ambient music while his late-1960s experimental records were an influence on fellow countrymen Kratwerk.Drawn from a decade of collaborations,Roedelius's new album (issued by Dublin label Psychonavigation) walks a line between the mellow and the abstract.From 2003,Hoc Vola,is a sweet guitar instrumental,built around a crystalline looped riff.Elsewhere Elektrum,a 2002 hook-up with The Orb,is an understated groover; Ad Honoreum deals in found sounds and arthouse beats and Claire Obscure is a fragmented laptop symphony.For those under the misapprehension that electronic music should always be loud and insistent, Snapshots/Sidesteps serves as a delightful introduction to a realm of nuance and understatement. Eamon de Paor (Metro,Dublin Ireland)

Taken from May's edition of 'The Wire' magazine

Roedelius & Friends
    Snapshots/Sidesteps
    PSYCHONAVIGATION cd

In a career that spans more than 40 switched-on years,Hans-Joachim Roedelius has taken the opportunity to make many friends,and Snapshots/Sidesteps,from Dublin label Psychonavigation, is a testimony to some of them.Marking ten years of collaborations and remixes made between 1995-2005,this album's ten unreleased tracks are drawn from projects with artists including Seiichi Suzuki,David Bickley and the Orb's Alex Paterson and Thomas Fehlmann.

In the history of post-war electronica,Roedelius is one of the great linking figures, joining Fluxus to Eno and the post-Acid House era.If this is a big territory to fill,possibly the best angle on Roedelius is as a musician most interested in process,and this is certainly demonstrated by the vignettes - some sketchy ideas,others more fully formed - released here."Ad Honerem" (2003) with Suzuki falls into the former category; a sparse drum track with uncertain elements unfolding into the ether; so too "Claire Obscura" (2005) with Patrick Pulsinger and Werner Dafeldecker.This isn't to denigrate the tracks as on "Juste Milieu",a 1995 offering made with Fabio Capanni,these are moments of imaginative observation,often inspired by organic sounds such as water,birdsong and air currents.As one might expect on a track with The Orb,2002's "Elektrum" takes on a more dynamic format,as does "Fait Accompli", a 2002 track made with Cluster comrade Werner Moebius and littered with tiny explosive electro-beats and skittery piano.But it is 2003's "Hoc Vola" that carries the album.Made with Timothy O'Keefe,the track sets up an accoustic folk riff with some Aeolian atmospherics to reiterate what it is that Roedelius does best.Lovely .

LOUISE GRAY

Taken from 'The Irish Times' newspaper

ROEDELIUS

Snapshots/Sidesteps Psychonavigation [/B]*****

To say that Hans-Joachim Roedelius has form when it comes to electronic music is a bit of of an understatement. The Krautrock/ ambient pioneer has worked with a who's who of electronic shape- shifters, including Brian Eno, Holger Czukay and Dieter Mobius. These days Roedelius is still at the coalface, and Snapshots/Sideshots is a set of the German veteran's recent collaborations with Patrick Pulsinger, Thomas Fehlmann, Alex Patterson, Fabio Capanni and David Bickley. The textures crafted by Roedelius and his accomplices are the most intriguing characteristics of this album. Whether it's the beautifully serene Ad Honorem with Seiichi Suzuki or the mischievous pitter-patter surrounding his Elektrum workout with The Orb, Roedelius's handiwork makes for pieces that always look to project way beyond the horizon. www.psychonavigation.com

Download tracks: Ad Honorem, Dynamo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭psychonav

http://igloomag.com/doc.php?task=vie...tegory=reviews

Roedelius :: Snapshots/Sidesteps (Psychonavigation, CD)

"...Modern electro-wizards that range from The Orb's Alex Paterson & Thomas Fehlmann to Austrian wizard Werner Moebius join forces in recordings that span a decade..."

Matt Simpson, Contributor

(05.04.07) Collaborating with artists undoubtedly influenced by his work over thirty years ago, the legendary Hans-Joachim Roedelius explores new sonic territories with a host of friends. Already an electronic guru known for his work from krautrock pioneers Cluster to his collaborations with *******n peers Brian Eno and Holger Czukay, Roedelius continues to set standards with his new release, Snapshots/Sidesteps, released on Irish label Psychonavigation Records. Modern electro-wizards that range from The Orb's Alex Paterson & Thomas Fehlmann to Austrian wizard Werner Moebius join forces in recordings that span a decade.

As a collection of varied pieces, the album jumps between styles quickly from track to track. Roedelius allows his accomplices to guide the recording sessions, leaving his unique sonic imprint on what is primarily the accompanying artist's direction. As a result, the album is a bit uneven - some tracks feel less fleshed-out than others. More often than not, however, shining moments of collaborative genius dominate the album. The pieces where atmosphere and texture are the primary focus are where the album excels, such as "Elektrum" and "Fait Accompli."

Fans of Roedelius or any of the collaborative artists would enjoy the diversity and quality found on this record.

Snapshots/Sidesteps is out now on Psychonavigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭psychonav

Interview taken from : http://igloomag.com/doc.php?task=view&...tegory=profiles

HANS-JOACHIM ROEDELIUS :: Music expresses itself

"...From his early work with Kluster/Cluster to his collaborations with Brian Eno, Roedelius has shown no signs of slowing his innovation. Matt Simpson caught up with the master to pick his brain about life, the universe, and everything following the release of his most recent opus, Snapshots/Sidesteps..."

Matt Simpson, Contributor [read all]

(05.14.07) THE legendary Hans-Joachim Roedelius needs little introduction for those familiar with the history of electronic music. From his early work with Kluster/Cluster to his collaborations with Brian Eno, Roedelius has shown no signs of slowing his innovation. We caught up with the master to pick his brain about life, the universe, and everything following the release of his most recent opus, Snapshots/Sidesteps, out now on Psychonavigation Records. Highly recommended, this release contains intense blasts of oft-spontaneous collaborations with many artists inspired by Roedelius - many of which were recorded countries apart from each other.

::..:::.....:..::....:::::..:::..:::::::......:::...::.:::....::::..:..:::...::.
    ......:::::

Igloo :: The music on your most recent release, Snapshots/Sidesteps, spans over 10 years. Was this a long-time plan, or is this a collection of various collaborations that you are most proud of?

Hans-Joachim Roedelius :: It's as it says - a sidestep, not planned at all, it just happened like all what I'm doing happens somehow, accidentally, when time allows, when I'm in the right mood, when I like to do it.

Igloo :: Were there any particularly memorable collaborative sessions from the album that you'd like to share?

HJR :: There were only real sessions with Werner Moebius, this track is an excerpt of a live performance in one of the most beautiful places in Lower Austria where I live, another was with Alex (The Orb) Paterson along with Thomas Fehlmann in Thomas studio in Berlin and with Fabio Capanni in my little studio in Austria. All the other tracks are modified materials made from original tracks of the mentioned composers.

Igloo :: Which party (yourself or the collaborating artists) normally set up the chance to record together?

HJR: Depending on the project of course, but as I'm mentioning in the beginning, the chance happens mostly by chance.

Igloo :: Describe the future of Roedelius, and what we can expect sonically.

HJR :: The future is now and I don't know what you have to expect other as what I'm doing now. I myself expect that I'm doing serious work with the same great joy as ever over all the time that's left for me at my age.

Igloo :: Are there any thematic motives that underly the flow of this album? That is, are you trying to relate a particular theme through every song, or even through several?

HJR :: Just take it like it is - if you have fun with it, take it like that.

Igloo :: Working with artists that have been undoubtedly influenced by your previous work, did you find yourself inspired by the feedback received from your collaborators?

HJR :: Of course; it's very nice to be that well respected.

Igloo :: The music throughout the album spans a wide variety of electronic styles. Did you find this experience rewarding, and was it a challenge to make your own unique music within such varied genres?

HJR :: Don't forget - music expresses itself. I don't think I did much on those tracks, I just took care of the material and the spirit of the material!

Igloo :: How do you feel about the term "krautrock" and its use as a catch-all term for German "psychedelia" in the 1960s and 70s? Is the term "kosmische" more widely used, or even acceptable?

HJR :: I know that people like categories. If they put me in whichever, it's okay for me.

Igloo :: Could you discuss how the Brian Eno collaborations came to fruition, and the results?

HJR :: It was a lucky momentum in all of the participating artists / friend's lives / careers!

Igloo :: With the upcoming release of one of the Human Being recordings from 1968, could you tell us more about your time with the Zodiak-Artslab?

HJR :: This was for me the release from something I never did appreciate as much before, as much as I appreciated what opened itself to me as a result.

Igloo :: With the mixed political situation in Germany at the time, how did this affect the music and arts scene in the area? Was there ever any communication with like-minded artists in the East?

HJR :: Anything that happens influences everything - of course was there a great discourse throughout Germany at the time.

Igloo :: Do you have any particular favorite bands or musicians from the era of Cluster, and what are you listening to now?

HJR :: I still like Can, Third Ear, Capt. Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, The Band, Crosby, Stills&Nash and Young, Joni Mitchell (what a beautiful voice) and many, many others, such as Edith Piaf, Eric Satie, Judy Garland, Jaques Brel etc. Today's pop music has of course some pearls to offer as well, that I like, but I can't tell titles.

Igloo :: Describe your early influences – art, artists, musicians, literature, etc. Is there anything recently that has been a particular inspiration sonically?

HJR :: It was always and still is nature. I love the voice of the coucou, the owl, especially the swallow, the sound of wind and water, my wife and my childrens voices.

::..:::.....:..::....:::::..:::..:::::::......:::...::.:::....::::..:..:::...::.
    ......:::::

Thanks to Hans-Joachim Roedelius for taking time out of his busy schedule to chat with us. You can check out the results of his 10+ year collaborations with Snapshots/Sidesteps.

For more information about Hans-Joachim Roedelius, visit his website here. http://www.roedelius.com

Buy the cd here : http://www.psychonavigation.com/snapshots.html

Advertisement