Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Looks like they are putting in some permanent car parking spaces. Space has been very tight in there recently alright, since the builders took over a lot of the space in the previous temporary parking area.

From Derek Mitchell
    "The recent harbour agreement has resulted in work starting on 60 houses and they are likely to be on sale next Summer. This progress is welcome and I am sure the area will be tidied up when the houses are being sold. The clubhouses are due to be finished this December."
    22471817083_a015e4f66d_c.jpgGreystones Harbour 17th November 2015 (14) by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Could do with a McDonalds down there! :D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Langerland wrote: »
    Could do with a McDonalds down there! :D:D:p

Anything would be better than the mess there at the moment, even McD's.
    The common denominator being our elected representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    From Derek Mitchell
    "The recent harbour agreement has resulted in work starting on 60 houses and they are likely to be on sale next Summer. This progress is welcome and I am sure the area will be tidied up when the houses are being sold. The clubhouses are due to be finished this December."

That sounds like good news! By the way pixbyjohn, were these photos taken on the 17th or earlier? How is the progress on the club house and other buildings? Is the car park finished? (Sorry, I'm just living in Dublin now so I don't get to see my lovely Greystones any more). :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

From Derek Mitchell

i dont know Derek Mitchell or for that matter neither do i have any party affiliation but why does Derek seem like an apologist for everything Sisk havent done. The harbour and its surrounding area are an eyesore for the last 7 to 8 years. As a public representative surely it would have been incumbent on Derek and all public representatives to make sure that sisk and wicklow county council at least did some minimum amount of landscaping work while this project is ongoing.
    The entrance to greystones from the cliff walk is like a bomb site. why do we always have to wait for houses, berths etc to be sold before the place is at least made some way decent looking, maybe a public toilet and a few bins / dog litter bins.
    for a public representative to say "I am sure the area will be tidied up when the houses are being sold" is beyond a joke . They shouldnt be allowed build them in the first place without proper maintenance and landscaping / traffic management in place. rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

From Derek Mitchell

i dont know Derek Mitchell or for that matter neither do i have any party affiliation but why does Derek seem like an apologist for everything Sisk havent done. The harbour and its surrounding area are an eyesore for the last 7 to 8 years. As a public representative surely it would have been incumbent on Derek and all public representatives to make sure that sisk and wicklow county council at least did some minimum amount of landscaping work while this project is ongoing.
    The entrance to greystones from the cliff walk is like a bomb site. why do we always have to wait for houses, berths etc to be sold before the place is at least made some way decent looking, maybe a public toilet and a few bins / dog litter bins.
    for a public representative to say "I am sure the area will be tidied up when the houses are being sold" is beyond a joke . They shouldn't be allowed build them in the first place without proper maintenance and landscaping / traffic management in place. rant over

DM is an original sponsor and supporter of this development. Over the years he has promoted it and challenged anyone who disagreed offering lame excuses on behalf of the developers and promoting its long term [so called] benefits. Sisk are delighted with this arrangement of course because they can claim he, as an elected official (who just so happens to support the program) is representing the Greystones community.

It is odd that he seems to have the inside skinny on whats going before any other councilor. Go figure.

To your point above its all the more frustrating that he does not, at the very least pretend he is considering the community by forcing Sisk & co ensure the area outside the works are maintained instead he comes out with statements like "I am sure the area will be tidied up when the houses are being sold" as if that's sufficient assurance. What he's really saying is that he's not bothered and ye lot can put up with it.

red_bairn wrote: »
    That sounds like good news! By the way pixbyjohn, were these photos taken on the 17th or earlier? How is the progress on the club house and other buildings? Is the car park finished? (Sorry, I'm just living in Dublin now so I don't get to see my lovely Greystones any more). :pac:
    Taken on the 17th. Will post a few more over the weekend for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've deleted off topic comments about McDs

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

22919360580_ff53220629_c.jpgGreystones Harbour 22nd November 2015 (17) by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Click on photo to take you to my flickr photostream for more photos

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

New car park opened this morning. Looks terrific. Seems that part 2 will be at the other side towards Joe Sweeney's. Great to see construction work coming to an end. Now all we need to see finished is the residential section. Congratulations to Sisks for such good efficient work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

vinpaul wrote: »
    New car park opened this morning. Looks terrific. Seems that part 2 will be at the other side towards Joe Sweeney's. Great to see construction work coming to an end. Now all we need to see finished is the residential section. Congratulations to Sisks for such good efficient work.

dww.gif

Going by that map, the Cliff Walk access seems to be back to the old route, past the old sailing club. For the next 18 months, anyway (give or take a few years)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

recedite wrote: »
    Going by that map, the Cliff Walk access seems to be back to the old route, past the old sailing club. For the next 18 months, anyway (give or take a few years)

no, looks like it'll be along the path beside the marina then across the "new" north beach.

loyatemu wrote: »
    no, looks like it'll be along the path beside the marina then across the "new" north beach.

When are they going to make the broadwalk? Those pylons are just sitting in the water still, right? I haven't walked down there in a while. Will they be sticking with that path instead?

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    OK I have been using using that route anyway, the last few times I went down there. The only thing is, the gates usually get locked up in the evenings.

recedite wrote: »
    OK I have been using using that route anyway, the last few times I went down there. The only thing is, the gates usually get locked up in the evenings.

They will probably put a new gate beside the marina just to the right where I've marked the horizontal line. The original gate is to the left.

By the way, the person who created the map loves "costal walkways!" :D

red_bairn wrote: »
    When are they going to make the broadwalk? Those pylons are just sitting in the water still, right? I haven't walked down there in a while. Will they be sticking with that path instead?

Costal & broadwalk :D

Lots of work going on there, RTE coming to the harbour market in The Boatyard next weekend, so all this work will look great in Nationwide.

^^^
    Wonder how long before some notices the appalling state of the road that stretches from Spendloves back to Centra. Hardly a great introduction to the harbour.

legrand wrote: »
    ^^^
    Wonder how long before some notices the appalling state of the road that stretches from Spendloves back to Centra. Hardly a great introduction to the harbour.

with another couple of years of constructions traffic ahead I wouldn't expect it to be resurfaced in the meantime. Possibly it's Sispar's responsibility to relay it when they're finished?

^^^
    It has been noticed >>
    Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Absolutely, I'd love to know who gave this needless nonsense the go ahead and what it cost...meanwhile the main road to the harbour between Bradys and the harbour entrance is like a feckin' goat track...:mad:

^^^
    But probably not by those who should know better. Well they probably have but well, you know, its too much like hard work.

^^^
    But probably not by those who should know better. Well they probably have but well, you know, its too much like hard work.

In fairness the council has resurfaced a number of roads around the town this year and done a good job on them. If they haven't done Victoria Road it's probably for the reason I outlined above - it's going to get pounded by construction traffic for the next 2 years.

• Advertisement

you mean 5 years (the expected duration of the residential build).
    Totally unacceptable in my view. You should have seen it last week during the heavy rains - a river of water and traffic passing soaking the foot paths and pedestrians - next time I'll bring a camera. Just because they surfaced other parts of Greystones does not excuse the current mess leading to and around the harbour.

Advertisement