Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Fri/9/2013

Distance | Time | Avg Pace/km | Avg HR
    6.66 | 45:38 | 6:51 | 136

Beautiful morning, nice and cool to begin with but soon heated up. I was feeling sluggish from last night's LT-paced kms, but nowhere near as sluggish as my HR monitor was trying to tell me. Settled down after a km, and trotted slowly out by the water and back again. Running to HR can be a frustrating experience, so whenever I felt glacial, I daydreamed of graphs plotting avg HR and pace against time for September to December.

Patience...

Looking back at yesterday's run, I was wrong re: Hadd on LT, who recommends (for my range) something in the region of 145-150 bpm. I think I'll stick to low-mid P&D ranges for now, since that's what I'll be following next marathon, but I'll try keep drumming the principles of Hadd into my head.

Month | Runs | Wk | Month| Year
    Sep | 5| 29.45 km | 49.95 km | 1215.33 km

Sat 7/9/2013

6.8 | 43:37 | 6:25 | 135

Easy evening run, light drizzle, cool breeze, autumnal and quiet. Lovely! LSR tomorrow in my new GT2000s, before the hurling.

Sep | 6 | 36.25 km | 56.75 km | 1222.13 km

Sun 8/9/2013

23.07 | 2:29:38 | 6:29 | 136

Long slow run, ran 18km by myself, then added 5 slow km meeting up with my partner and her brother. This was very easy effort, legs got tired for the last 15 mins, but pleased overall. Kept HR under 142 for the entire run, and was cruising along. Rest day tomorrow, I think.

Sep | 7 | 59.32 km | 79.82 km | 1245.2 km

Wed 11/9/2013

9.5 | 1:02:24 | 6:34 | 137

Dull day and a dull easy run. Whatever about my running, reading this log is probably guaranteed to keep the heart rate well below recovery effort. But needs must, and all that. I need consistent base building right now, from the very bottom up, so I'll continue on this path, hopefully with results to show by December.

I've been feeling a little tired this week, with a lot on, and a bit of stomach trouble, so it's no surprise that this felt like a bit of effort after a while. First one of the week. Planned sessions this week are 8.5km of continuous LT on Friday, and LSR of 25km on Sunday, with the rest made up of easy runs @ avg HR 136 or so.

Sep | 8 | 9.5 km | 89.32 km | 1254.7 km

Thurs 12/9/2013

Distance | Time | Avg Pace/km | LT Pace/km | LT HR
    11.8 km | 1:04:09 | 5:30 | 5:10 | 160

I had planned to do this session on Friday, but I was feeling pretty ok this afternoon when I got down to my usual running spot, so I said I'd chance it. 2 slow warm-up km, and then down to business, 8.5km at LT effort. HR started at high 140s, settling on 151-152 for the opening km, before drifting up to 159-160 for the middle kms, and then up to 167-168 for the final kms.

Splits were:

5:06; 5:07; 5:08; 5:09; 5:15; 5:13; 5:04; 5:17; 2:31

Trying to be patient, but I can't wait until these are consistently sub 5:00 splits! :rolleyes: I was running again according to HR rather than keeping an eye on time, so I was pleased enough to see some consistency in the opening splits, albeit I was probably working a smidgen too hard, judging from the later splits. But overall, I'm pleased enough, I could have tacked on another 1km when I was finishing up, which is always reassuring, and it was good to put some hard effort in. I suppose that's the only real gauge of whether there's been any improvement since last week, although any training improvement in reality is a couple of weeks away from taking effect. Regardless, it is getting me used to running at a quicker pace.

Two more of these sessions to go in the next couple of weeks, with the distance being pushed out gradually again, then I'll settle on a pace for Cork Cobh on the first Sunday of October. Then it's back to some more LT/HMP pace sessions to prepare for Waterford or Clonakilty in December. I really want to be in good nick for that. My HM pb is rubbish, 1:48:3x set in Clon last year. With three month of proper aerobic training, long runs and HM specific sessions, I want to knock 19 minutes off that. There... I said it. :eek:

The plan for the rest of the week: Friday 8-10km at easy effort; Sat 6.5km at easy effort; Sun 25km LSR (might try run this at a slightly higher effort than previous runs - I'm in two minds as to whether running LSRs at easy/recovery pace obtains optimal results :confused:).

Sep | 9 | 21.3 km | 101.12 km | 1266.5 km

• Advertisement

Fri 13/9/2013

6.54 km | 40:49 | 6:15 | 134

Nights are coming in much quicker now, and cooler to boot! This was a very basic recovery run, I was expecting to be running it at around 6:45/km, given yesterday's exertions, so I was pleasantly surprised to be around the 6:15/km mark for pace. Hopefully this represents a little bit of a leap forward in aerobic fitness. I'm nearly three weeks running to HR, so I should have some data to back that up from by mid October. Also I've been pushing my distance up over the last four weeks (42, 39, 51, 59 km), and lengthening my LSRs accordingly (16, 18.5, 20.5, 23 km), so the benefits of these should also be starting to kick in soon.

I was about to say that it's a long road back to fitness, but in reality, even at week 12 of P&D, I wasn't properly fit. So it's a longer road then, to proper fitness!

Rest of the week: Today, 8-10km of easy running. Tomorrow, 25km LSR (maybe with some PHMP kms thrown in, as practice for Cork-Cobh).

Sep | 10 | 27.84 km | 107.66 km | 1273.04 km

Sat 14/9/2013

Distance | Time | Avg Pace | Avg HR
    8.09 km | 51:08 | 6:20/km | 137

Easy run, felt a bit tired and heavy-legged about half way through, hence the latter half was a bit harder work.

Sun 15/9/2013

25.54 km | 2:46:17 | 6:31/km | 138

This was hard on the legs. My fifth day straight running. I originally planned to do three laps of the Mahon walkway/Harty's Quay loop, but I knew after one lap that I'd bail after two if I continued. So I went off towards Monkstown and cut back to Rochestown. There was a steady 3km long climb of about 120m in total from 20-23km, which was a struggle, but I'm all the better for doing it.

This didn't feel especially fun, but it was of great psychological benefit. All the effort was felt in the legs rather than in my heart, with the exception of the hill, of course! Doing the hill on tired legs allowed me to tap into a bit of fatigue I hadn't felt since the marathon. I did this again by HR rather than pace, and looking subsequently at the splits, they were quite consistent again, and it's a massive amount of time to be out on my feet. Should be of great benefit to my endurance, certainly.

Anyway, time to listen to my body. Definitely taking a rest day tomorrow, and I think maybe a step back week might be in order, focus on being fresh for the midweek LT/HMP pace session, and a shorter LSR at the weekend.

Sep | 12 | 61.47 km | 141.29 km | 1306.67 km

Thurs 19/9/2013

8.18 km | 50:17 | 6:09/km | 136

Motivation a little lacking this week. I'm completely wrecked from long nights struggling with work, and all of the other real-life niggles that chip away at you. But the best cure for a runner demotivated by the thought of running is to run. So that's what I did. Nice day, but very breezy. Kept HR to around the 136 mark, pushed up towards 140-141 for the last couple of km, but wasn't any real effort at all. The plan for the rest of this step-back week is:

Fri: 13-14k w/ 8k LT
    Sat: 8-10k easy aerobic
    Sun: 21k LSR

I'm no longer running Cork-Cobh at the start of October, as I've been booked in for a weekend away instead. Love may not conquer all, but it can pull rank over running! So it looks like a long build up to the HM in December, but I'll try find something short in November to get used to racing again.

Sep | 13 | 8.18 km | 149.47 km | 1314.85 km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

scriba wrote: »
    Motivation a little lacking this week. I'm completely wrecked from long nights struggling with work, and all of the other real-life niggles that chip away at you. But the best cure for a runner demotivated by the thought of running is to run. So that's what I did.
    I love that quote! I am embracing that as my new motto!

Time to get this log back up and running, like myself. Since last September, I've done precious little, apart from thesis rewrites, eating, and moving to Kerry. Mostly eating, by the looks of my scales. :o:mad:

Started back running on the 13th of January, some 17lbs heavier than I was while marathon training last year, with a couple of runs a week. With Ballycotton now about 5 weeks away, I gave myself a good mental kicking last week, starting up 'my fitness pal' (again!), and getting myself out there more frequently, in abominable weather.

The 'plan' for Ballycotton is to get my 'long' run from 9.5 up to about 16km in a couple of weeks; and get as many km in as possible between now and then, so that I can a) finish it, and b) keep up with my brother doing it for the first time. I have no chance of coming close to last year's ~76 min, but I'll be very happy with sub 85. So that's the immediate target.

After that, it's going to be some HADD-esque HR watching all the way, and build my fitness properly (slowly), getting some kms into these legs. I'm going to have to enter races to have something to aim for, otherwise I'll lose interest. Thankfully, I've moved to a particularly scenic part of the world, with lots of hills, green stuff, mountains and wild sea to look it, so that should help with motivation!

Goals for the year:
    - run 2000+km (2012 - 805km; 2013 - 1355km)
    - build up running base properly; review 6 months after Ballycotton.
    - get weight down to 175lbs
    - run (and finish) a steady marathon at the end of the year, probably Clon in December.

And that's it really, fairly simple goals. I'll think a little about paces when my 135 bpm easy pace starts to come down a bit.

And onto this week so far:

Mon 3/2/2014
    Distance | Time | Avg Pace | Climb| Avg HR
    8.01 km | 51:03 | 6:22/km | 101m |

Tue 4/2/2014
    7.5 km | 50:18 | 6:43/km | 93m |

Wed 4/2/2014
    7.04 km | 43:48 | 6:12/km | 73m |

All of these were done with fairly strong winds, so each had rather tough sections where I was clearly working too hard. I need to find some place flattish to try some race pace sessions too. For the rest of the week, a nice slow run for 90 mins, and another 7-8km at an easy pace. Feeling strong generally, although my breathing is all over the place. Won't be following a plan for the next five weeks, just going to try average 50/km a week for the next five weeks, with a few sessions incorporating target race pace; 2-3 long runs at race distance; and give it a lash on March 9th.

So here it is, my umpteenth restart. :)

Feb| 3| 22.55 km | 22.55 km | 56.58 km

• Advertisement

Thurs 6/2/2013

13.14 km | 1:29:37 | 6:50/km | 132m |

With the 10 miler just over a month away, and my longest run so far this year being a whopping 9.17km, I need to get the long runs longer, so the goal here was to do 90 mins at a consistent easy pace. It wasn't that easy going up hills, but overall it was very manageable. No wind or rain this morning was a bonus, as was the free bottle of water from a guy passing in a van, doing a water drop for some runners further up the road. Sound! :)

The main thing about this run was that I can easily manage 16km next week at the same pace for the long run, which is one hurdle crossed. ;) Did a bit of thinking as I ran, and tried focus on the work I'm doing right now, rather than fixating on past paces and fitness levels. Made me feel much better, it's all about the here and now. Thanks to a week of my fitness pal, I'm down a couple of lbs too. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Feb| 4| 35.69 km | 35.69 km | 69.72 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great to see you back!
    best of luck with the goals:) I'll be following with interest.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great to see you back!
    best of luck with the goals:) I'll be following with interest.

Thank you. :D I've been back lurking for a few weeks, and I've been following your log. You're doing great, gobbling up miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Scriba

Glad to see you back again. :)

I'm on the comeback trail myself so will be following your log again with interest. Only if you promise not to piss off again without saying goodbye :pac:

Only if you promise not to piss off again without saying goodbye :pac:

Ha, I never piss off. I slink or slither away into the shadows.

Sat 8/2/2013

5.15 km | 45:37 | 8:51/km | 67m |

Easy, mega-slow, recovery run with my better half. That's it for this week. :)

Feb| 5 | 40.84 km | 40.84 km | 74.87 km

Mon 10/2/2013

8.11 km | 52:41 | 6:30/km | 101m |

Easy run to start the week off on a lovely morning. Finished off with 8 or 9 50-60m strides.

Feb| 6 | 8.11 km | 48.95 km | 82.98 km

Today's run not an option with the flying debris and all that down here in the SW, followed by a (still ongoing) power cut. Hoping for calmer weather, and a working shower tomorrow.

Thurs 13/2/2013

13.56 km | 1:25:16 | 6:17/km | 109m |

The 'plan' is to try fit in three relatively speedy sessions before Ballycotton, with the third one to give me a rough idea of my race pace on the day. The wind was quite strong today, and not ideal for 1k intervals, especially since flat areas around here are generally quite exposed, but between yesterday's environmental assault and another storm due tomorrow, running beggars cannot be choosers. The session was to be a 3k w/u; 6 x 1k splits with 90 sec recoveries; and 4k w/d. The target was around 5:20 place. I knew this would be difficult enough, physically and psychologically since I haven't run at anything close to this pace or effort in five months. Anyway, to the splits:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
    4:56 | 5:20 | 5:21 | 5:20 | 5:22 | 4:56

1st and 6th splits were a bit mad, with no wind blowing in, as I was trying to see what I could do, before and after being flogged. 2nd split into the wind, and the remaining three were half into the wind, and half back, to balance things out. The wind wasn't consistent in its strength, but I'll take these numbers, and I'm glad to get a decent session down. I've plenty of time to worry about discipline getting numbers tighter, the main thing was to get 6 quicker intervals done. At present, I am Hadd's unsqueezed toothpaste tube.

Feb| 7 | 21.67 km | 62.61 km | 96.64 km

Fri 14/2/2013

8.06 km | 53:55| 6:41/km | 101m |

This was very hard work, for a so-called recovery run. My legs were heavy after yesterday. I ran this with the GPS in my pocket, (i.e. out of sight) so that I would ease myself into a natural rhythm, but couldn't really get comfortable at all today. I should have slowed down, especially on the inclines, but I didn't. A bit of stitch, and horrible breathing accompanied me for most of this. Positives though were no wind and no rain. Not the most enjoyable of runs, but there you go. To be honest, it's all going to be varied shades of gruesome until I get a few more weeks under my belt, and lose a bit more weight, so I just have to get on with it.

I've been monitoring my weight closely. 2 weeks of exercise, diet clean up and calorie counting have me down 6.5 lbs. Just as well, considering I'm going to dinner tonight. I'll be good though. Good-ish.

Feb| 8 | 29.73 km | 70.67 km | 104.7 km

• Advertisement

great weight loss! Well done:D
    Enjoy tonight. Think I'll let loose myself for once:) Haven't had a proper blast out for ages.
    Great to see your running going well even though today wasn't particularly inspiring but I'm sure the next one will more than make up for it.

great weight loss! Well done:D
    Enjoy tonight. Think I'll let loose myself for once:) Haven't had a proper blast out for ages.
    Great to see your running going well even though today wasn't particularly inspiring but I'm sure the next one will more than make up for it.

Thanks! I'll be having some fizzy, and possibly the cheesiest thing on the menu! :P Yeah, things are generally going well. Most of the discomfort is due to my lack of conditioning, which makes it easier to accept, somehow (as punishment :o)! I just have to keep working, and I should begin to see some improvements in a couple of weeks time. Besides, seeing your sub 8:00/mile pace intervals has given me a target. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

To be honest, it's all going to be varied shades of gruesome until I get a few more weeks under my belt,

After approx 3 months out that sounds about right: I reckon you'll see improvement soon enough. I think you'll be much closer to 80 than to 85 come Ballycotton. Glad to see you posting in here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

It's all progress Scriba. You know yourself - some runs are harder than others but overall the progress is clear to see.

outforarun wrote: »
    After approx 3 months out that sounds about right: I reckon you'll see improvement soon enough. I think you'll be much closer to 80 than to 85 come Ballycotton. Glad to see you posting in here again.

Thanks outforarun, I've been watching your log with interest once more. Great consistency. Re: Ballycotton, we'll see. Considering it's only 23 days away, there's not a lot of scope for improvement, but getting the weight down as low as possible, and fitting a couple of 16k runs and some solid LT/HMP type sessions in between now and then should leave me feeling more confident towing the line. One session at a time though. ;)

Thanks! I'll be having some fizzy, and possibly the cheesiest thing on the menu! :P Yeah, things are generally going well. Most of the discomfort is due to my lack of conditioning, which makes it easier to accept, somehow (as punishment :o)! I just have to keep working, and I should begin to see some improvements in a couple of weeks time. Besides, seeing your sub 8:00/mile pace intervals has given me a target. ;)

Thought you said 'cheapest thing on the menu' when I read it first:D Cheese sounds good:D

Sun 16/2/2013

16.22 km | 1:50:01| 6:46/km | 209m |

Took a rest day on Saturday and was all the better for it this morning. Did 5 slow kms with my partner, before dropping her back at the door to do a longer 11km loop door to door. Fit in 40 mins of tempo running up and down some hills (just over 7km @ 5:35/km average pace), and a slow warm down to finish. Felt strong throughout the run, though was blowing a bit heading up a hill towards the end of the 40 mins tempo section. Distance wasn't a problem, and neither was time on my feet. Enjoyable run, signs of progress. Maybe I might just be able to keep my brother in sight. :)

Next week, the plan is another midweek session of maybe 5x1.5km @ 5:00/km; lots of easy running, and another MLR with 40-45 of tempo in the middle. Should be a howl.

Feb| 9 | 45.95 km | 86.89 km | 120.92 km

Thought you said 'cheapest thing on the menu' when I read it first:D Cheese sounds good:D

Urgh. No. More. Cheese.

Thurs 20/2/2013

5.4 km | 39:xx | 7:23ish/km | 63|

Easy jog with my partner, who's speeding up a little, did a known route with just my wristwatch to time it.

I went on an 8 mile hike on Tuesday night with a local walking group, up through the windmill-filled hills by the road to Listowel. We went at a fair clip, I had no problems doing it, but some DOMS on Wednesday. Should be good for the endurance anyway.

Tomorrow's plan is to do 5x1.5km @ 5:00/km, first thing in the morning, like most runs. My legs are still a bit heavy, but we'll see how I get on. They could end up being anything :p

Feb| 10 | 5.4 km | 92.29 km | 126.32 km

• Advertisement

Fri 21/2/2013

12.36 km | 1:13:18 | 5:55/km | 109 |

This was my second 10 mile-dedicated session, the plan was to hit 5 x 1.5km intervals at 5:00/km pace, leaving myself 2 minute recovery between each one. This was very tough, and to make things worse, I had to abandon my planned flat stretch after the second interval, because a strong wind was blowing directly into me, and tackle the remaining three on a somewhat uneven and predominantly uphill route back home. [If anyone knows any flat sheltered stretches to the west or north-west of Tralee, let me know :)]

Anyway, the intervals ended up bang on, in terms of time, although I shudder to think at the effort levels. Paces/km for 1.5km intervals were:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4| 5
    4:58 | 4:59 | 4:59 | 4:56 | 4:56 |

I felt like bailing about 1km into the fourth split, but I just about managed to hold on. Then there was only one left to do. This session has definitely boosted my confidence. Whether it has any real bearing on my target pace for Sunday fortnight, I'm not so sure, but we'll see.

I'll do some recovery running tomorrow morning, and then a 16-17km MLR on Sunday. I may throw in 30-40 mins of 5:20/km into the middle of this, depending on the legs. I'm aware that at the moment, nearly 40% of my running is at the quicker end, which is obviously unsustainable in the long run (ahem). Having said that, this hard work is exactly what I needed mentally. :)

16 days to go.

Feb| 11 | 17.76 km | 104.65 km | 138.68 km

Advertisement