Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

grizzly wrote: »
    Didn't even know about this game until a few weeks ago. Too many other games!

Is it available as a direct download on the PC? and would it be better in every regard on the PC vs 360? (assuming enough specs to play smoothly).

Definitely on pc, this is no console port, it feels just like its made for KB and mouse. Amazing gameplay, this game has exactly what Crysis was missing, fun. Just playing it is reminding me of how excited I was when I started Vice city, but that was on PS2, last pc game that really got me like this was HL2. I'm thinking of excuses in my head to ring in sick to work :D can't wait to get back at it.

Graphics are very good, although not as good as Crysis I'll admit, but not far off. Added bonus is that it runs so well, I've it running very smoothly with all settings on Very high, 2x AA and this is at 1920x1200 :eek: with just a single HD4870.

Oh, and its not available here yet, lets just say I got the trial copy ;), but in all honesty I'll be buying this one. I bought Crysis and COD4 after I'd played them, I respect this and will be buying it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Played a quick bit last night, first 2-3 little quests/missions.

First thing, plays grand on my laptop @ medium [c2d 2gig, 4gigs ram, 8600mGT]. Looks great and plays smooth; no noticable slowdown.

Intro is very very good. Tho I was just wishing it would end so i could try some gameplay!!

At last an fps that doesnt use the regen health system. A change and the heal yourself works pretty well so far.

The effects from teh malaria are very cool; the blur when sprinting, the pov when aiming down the iron sights..they all work well and look good.

Weapons are very inaccurate from the hip.

Not a huge spoiler but it's at the start anyway
    the car you get
    took a woeful amount of bullets and petroleum before it blew up on me, hope they aren't all like that :/

Well impressed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Can anyone notice that annoying pop up **** like what crysis has in Far cry 2 ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I got an email from direct2drive saying Far Cry 2 is available to buy now. Their emails are not regional obviously. Gits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Played for an hour or so last night, it's very good fun and they seem to have really made the concept work. From reading the build up I was afraid this was going to be another Boiling Point (*shudder*), but they really have pulled it off well.

Graphics are very good, looks fantastic on my TV and runs very smoothly @1920x1080 with everything on full (except AA) on only a 9600GT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

kaimera wrote: »
    Played a quick bit last night, first 2-3 little quests/missions.

First thing, plays grand on my laptop @ medium [c2d 2gig, 4gigs ram, 8600mGT]. Looks great and plays smooth; no noticable slowdown.

Intro is very very good. Tho I was just wishing it would end so i could try some gameplay!!

At last an fps that doesnt use the regen health system. A change and the heal yourself works pretty well so far.

The effects from teh malaria are very cool; the blur when sprinting, the pov when aiming down the iron sights..they all work well and look good.

Weapons are very inaccurate from the hip.

Not a huge spoiler but it's at the start anyway
    the car you get
    took a woeful amount of bullets and petroleum before it blew up on me, hope they aren't all like that :/

Well impressed so far
    Yeah, I love the old fashioned health system. Unfortunately, it takes too few shots to kill you on hard difficulty, so I never have time to use my health kit. :(

I really like the plot so far. Rather than the blockbuster action movie style plot of most games today this is much more an Apocolypse Now style. Much more somber and thought provoking than the original (but then again that isn't hard).

Oh, and just an note about the characters for those starting a new game. The list of mercenaries you can pick at the start is also the list of buddies you find in the game. You character doesn't actualy say or do anything in the game, so if you want, for example, to hear the Irish guy talking then you have to pick a different character to play with and you'll meet the Irish guy in-game. I don't think there's actually any difference in which character you pick to start with other thant he fact you obviously won't meet them whil playing.

Reading back over that, it makes little sense but it's early and I'm tired. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

@Pog: Did you get the new ATI Hotfix drivers for Far Cry 2? I'm using them myself but I find they keep resetting my overclock from Rivatuner.

I'm able to play this game on my sig rig with everything at Ultra High @ 1920x1200 w/ 8xAA, although I've lowered it to 4xAA as at the resolution I'm playing at AA is mostly useless. I was also experiencing some bad tearing, but this was easily fixed by enabling vsync. It's not really a patch on Crysis' graphics tbh. Reminds me more of a better Call of Juarez with the DX10 patch.

Certain things like distance haze or skin specularity seem oddly missing. Bump mapping of textures seems to of been kept to a minimum and there are obvious polygon corners visible on some rounded objects, something even increasing the AA couldn't resolve.

Most people won't probably notice these but I guess graphics in games is something I'm very interested in.

Gameplay wise, it can't really be faulted thus far. It is a blast and I'm glad to know you can't possibly survive that first gunfight. I retried it multiple times before accepting my faith, lol. Only thing missing is a cover button. Much like when CoD first introduced being able to look directly down your sights, being able to put your back against a wall and lean out from cover has become a must have feature for me. They don't even support leaning left and right which I found very odd.

Still though, I've a feeling I'm going to be immersed in this for a long while. That opening does do an excellent job of immersing you right into your environment.

EDIT: btw, for anyone with ATI cards in vista, these RC drivers seem to be doing pretty well, compared to the Far Cry 2 Hotfix ones, http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-radeon-display-drivers/171282-catalyst-8-11-rc1-8-542-download.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thinking of getting this one! How much are they charging for it in stores? I am not sure if I have the patience to order it online!

Jaysus, its going real cheap on Ebay.ie!! Not sure I trust these people though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Definitely on pc, this is no console port, it feels just like its made for KB and mouse. Amazing gameplay, this game has exactly what Crysis was missing, fun. Just playing it is reminding me of how excited I was when I started Vice city, but that was on PS2, last pc game that really got me like this was HL2. I'm thinking of excuses in my head to ring in sick to work :D can't wait to get back at it.

Graphics are very good, although not as good as Crysis I'll admit, but not far off. Added bonus is that it runs so well, I've it running very smoothly with all settings on Very high, 2x AA and this is at 1920x1200 :eek: with just a single HD4870.

Oh, and its not available here yet, lets just say I got the trial copy ;), but in all honesty I'll be buying this one. I bought Crysis and COD4 after I'd played them, I respect this and will be buying it too.

I agree with you completely Pog, Pc game through and through...

that said, i'm having a bit of a dilema at the moment, My PC is at home in ireland, and ill only be back in Irl end of January...(the day college starts...good timing, I know). So without my PC with me, I went and bought an xbox360 for my time here in Germany...

my dilema:

wait until the end of january to play it on the PC

or

buy it tomorrow and play it on xbox360

argg...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

my dilema:

wait until the end of january to play it on the PC

or

buy it tomorrow and play it on xbox360

argg...

It won't look as good on a console, plus playing an FPS with a joypad is criminal, keyboard and mouse is the only way.

TC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is anyone else getting motion sickness from playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

keane2097 wrote: »

its probably the headbob when running. Maybe try turning on the lights in your room and sitting further away from the screen. I used to get slightly motion sick in Prey, but then that wasn't your average FPS being that there was a lot of anti-grav and being upside down in it.

Once the game is officially released there should be a guide on how to disable the headbob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

L31mr0d wrote: »
    @Pog: Did you get the new ATI Hotfix drivers for Far Cry 2? I'm using them myself but I find they keep resetting my overclock from Rivatuner.

From what I've read I thought the hotfix was only for the X2, not the single HD4870, maybe I got it wrong tho. I've not tried the RC drivers, dl'in now. You think its worth installin the hotfix also? Can u not overclock with overdrive in CCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

keane2097 wrote: »

I got some eye strain after playing for about 2 hours lastnight....think it's just the detail of the world makes it tough on the eyes.

CC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

So people are playing this how?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

musician wrote: »

Twas a leak as per usual. Really no point downloading it though at this stage unless you have a monster connection just wait for tomorrow

Stev_o wrote: »
    Twas a leak as per usual. Really no point downloading it though at this stage unless you have a monster connection just wait for tomorrow

I was fairly sure it was out there but assumed some of these guys might have gotten it legit through gifting on steam or US proxy etc. 10MB download with NTL by the way :) but I'm buying it tomorrow. Just bored here and would love to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I was fairly sure it was out there but assumed some of these guys might have gotten it legit through gifting on steam or US proxy etc. 10MB download with NTL by the way :) but I'm buying it tomorrow. Just bored here and would love to play it.

I feel your pain i want to play it badly too especially with this ****ty whether alas my download stuck at 71 odd % so will just to have wait one more day grrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Stev_o wrote: »
    I feel your pain i want to play it badly too especially with this ****ty whether alas my download stuck at 71 odd % so will just to have wait one more day grrr.

Long weekend + far cry 2 + slab of cans + ****ty weather = heaven ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's €40 in gamestop but I hope to find the LCE in the states this week and I'll pick it up then if it's cheaper than home.

I just had to try it out is all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

kaimera wrote: »
    I just had to try it out is all!

Aye, same here... My preorder still hasn't dispatched from sendit, so I just grabbed a cheeky copy. There's no way in hell that I'll cancel my order though, the devs deserve every penny they get for crafting a game this fecking awesome!

How far are you into it Tman?? A question that I haven't been able to get an answer to -are there bullet wounds on the enemies? I know it sounds sadist, but I took great joy in the first one sniping guys and then seeing exactly where they'd been hit :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Picked it up a few minutes ago in gamestop something nice about buying a pc game and having it at 2/3's of the cost of 360/ps3 game.
    No idea when I'll get to play it though.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Picked it up a few minutes ago in gamestop something nice about buying a pc game and having it at 2/3's of the cost of 360/ps3 game.
    No idea when I'll get to play it though.

They've broken street date?? Aw christ I wish I wasn't working till 10 :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Aye every street break is broken always now
    got dead space, far cry 2 and Disaster day of crisis in gamestop
    and fable 2 in Xtra-vision

In recent weeks any game release I've wanted i've got on the thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

mayordenis wrote: »
    Aye every street break is broken always now
    got dead space, far cry 2 and Disaster day of crisis in gamestop
    and fable 2 in Xtra-vision

In recent weeks any game release I've wanted i've got on the thursday

ah flaps!

I knew i should have hung around town a little longer. Might do that next week in hope that RA3 breaks release.

EDIT: I wanted Dead space. Play already sent far cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

DarkJager wrote: »
    How far are you into it Tman?? A question that I haven't been able to get an answer to -are there bullet wounds on the enemies? I know it sounds sadist, but I took great joy in the first one sniping guys and then seeing exactly where they'd been hit :D

12% complete according to my savegame, with 3:30 playtime so far.
    So at least 30 hours of gameplay if you go by that, but including side quests and buddy quests, I'd say 40+ hours is easily possible:eek:
    Haven't noticed bullet wounds yet, I'll have a quick play around in a while and let you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

This is incredibly geeky but I really want to play the map editor so I can recreate levels from goldeneye and play them in lovely-vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

grizzly wrote: »
    Didn't even know about this game until a few weeks ago. Too many other games!

Is it available as a direct download on the PC? and would it be better in every regard on the PC vs 360? (assuming enough specs to play smoothly).

It's on steam but only in NA. They haven't announced when it will be available on steam in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's on steam but only in NA. They haven't announced when it will be available on steam in Europe.

Probably won't. Ubisoft don't seem to want to release games for EU steam. I remember reading a thread about it on steam forums.

Advertisement