Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help needed regarding Employment Rights

• 31-03-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I have been working for a company for more than 6 months now, on my contract it says the first 6 months are probationary after which I will be notified or will be kept. It has been over 2 weeks since my probation is over but I have not heard anything from the employer. Also myself and my co worker who also joined with me when the company was launched worked more than 40 hours per week , we have done 50+ hours weeks without any extra pay for working overtime but now our hours have been cut to less than 25. We are both on full time contracts..

What should I do about this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

dan786 wrote: »
    Hello there,

I have been working for a company for more than 6 months now, on my contract it says the first 6 months are probationary after which I will be notified or will be kept. It has been over 2 weeks since my probation is over but I have not heard anything from the employer. Also myself and my co worker who also joined with me when the company was launched worked more than 40 hours per week , we have done 50+ hours weeks without any extra pay for working overtime but now our hours have been cut to less than 25. We are both on full time contracts..

What should I do about this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you talked to your manager about these issues ??
    It has to be toe first thing you do..

If you don't get answers... then go looking for help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

bbam wrote: »
    Have you talked to your manager about these issues ??
    It has to be toe first thing you do..

If you don't get answers... then go looking for help

Well my manager never gets back to you no matter what you ask him. Where do I go for help?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How long ago did you ask him about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

dan786 wrote: »
    Well my manager never gets back to you no matter what you ask him. Where do I go for help?

Go to HR department or the next manager up the line..

TBH your not going to get anyone to come in and ask these questions for you.

At the end of probation there is rarely much to do about anything except if there is a problem and it needs to be extended.. I'm presuming that since you weren't asked to sign for an extension then your probation is over..

So you worked 10 hours extra a week for six months... You probably should have thought during that time to ask about being paid for it.. Its going to be a tough fought battle now, does your contract mention anything about OT pay rates??, have the hours been officially recorded ??
    I'd take it that you've learned one hard lesson there...if you don't value your time then nobody else is going to!

As for being cut back hours... there's little you can do.

Your there six/seven months, you could be let go at the drop of a hat !

Your stuck between a rock and a hard place... if you start a fuss now about the unpaid hours you could easily find your hours cut further or even suddenly that your services are no longer required at all.

If it were me I'd be looking for alternative work !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

bbam wrote: »
    Go to HR department or the next manager up the line..

TBH your not going to get anyone to come in and ask these questions for you.

At the end of probation there is rarely much to do about anything except if there is a problem and it needs to be extended.. I'm presuming that since you weren't asked to sign for an extension then your probation is over..

So you worked 10 hours extra a week for six months... You probably should have thought during that time to ask about being paid for it.. Its going to be a tough fought battle now, does your contract mention anything about OT pay rates??, have the hours been officially recorded ??
    I'd take it that you've learned one hard lesson there...if you don't value your time then nobody else is going to!

As for being cut back hours... there's little you can do.

Your there six/seven months, you could be let go at the drop of a hat !

Your stuck between a rock and a hard place... if you start a fuss now about the unpaid hours you could easily find your hours cut further or even suddenly that your services are no longer required at all.

If it were me I'd be looking for alternative work !

Have you tried putting your queries to your Manager by email in a non confrontational manner?

It may be worth a try. If you are getting no response , you could try raising the issues by email with HR with CC to your Manager.

Do you have a Union Rep?

• Advertisement
Advertisement