Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK ISPs told to block 21 pirate sites. Do you download illegally?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Which part of "exactly the same as what's on your disc" is unclear? What do you think these 20GB+ downloads are?

Go test it out for yourself, look at the file sizes on the downloads. Yes there is some rubbish online that claims to be BR quality but is just normal hd instead, but this is just badly labelled.

BD25 and BD50 are the magical tags you are looking for...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Good luck to them blocking these 21 sites. And the 30 + replacement sites that would spring up if they were closed. And the replacement for those...and so on.

Even if they made torrents illegal, something else will replace it. And with each new file sharing technology, it becomes harder to stop. E.g...TPB got into legal trouble because it hosted the torrent files. So they responded with magnet links, so nothing is stored on their servers.

The only way to beat the pirates is to offer a service that is cheap, higher quality, more intuitive, more feature rich & offers everything the customer wants. But so long as a movie studios and record labels are around, they will try to stick with the current system because they make vast profits from it and don't want to risk losing their power/control.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The only way to beat the pirates is to offer a service that is cheap, higher quality, more intuitive, more feature rich & offers everything the customer wants. But so long as a movie studios and record labels are around, they will try to stick with the current system because they make vast profits from it and don't want to risk losing their power/control.

How can they really compete with it though?

In the sense that if they were to go as far as a film being legally downloadable 2 weeks after its cinema release they would need the file to be encrypted so as the file couldnt then spread for free.

Such an unhackable encryption cant come cheap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Music: I tend to download a lot of albums and, if I like the artist then I go see them live. I've seen all of my favourites live except Metallica who I'm not overly keen on due to their obsession with profits.

Films: If it's on Netflix, I'll watch it there. Otherwise, I tend to go for the download option.

TV Shows: I really wish HBO Go was available over here. Aside from that, Love/Hate is the only thing I've downloaded recently as I can't get RTÉ over here.

Games: I've forgotten the last time I downloaded a game. They're available so cheaply and legally on the likes of Steam and it's ilk. Plus, if it's not great, I can get them dirt cheap on Amazon second hand the the publisher doesn't see a penny.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Nope. High compression degrades the quality a lot

There's no compression in a 1:1 rip, which is what he's talking about. You're talking about mkvs, avis or mpgs. He's talking about a complete dump of a disc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

XBMC + plugins.

Pretty much eradicates the need for downloading while I buy my games nowadays.
    _Redzer_ wrote:

You can get perfect rips of Blurays, they're referred to as Untouched and not BRrips of which you seem to be thinking of. People do it all the time for backing up their own copies, they just rip the main video + audio and cut out all the extras to reduce size though they're still massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I buy blu rays and I buy music. The quality of the movies just can't be replicated in a download. It's not even close. Plus I like physical discs.
    I hate disks, seems pointless having a collection of plastic with pictures on them.

Yeah because a 5GB download is the same as a 50GB blu ray. If that was the case blu rays would never been invented as a 7GB DVD would be sufficient.
    You seem to be very generous with your disk capacities. A DVD is less than 5gb, a blue ray is 25gb unless it's double layered. Once you remove all the anti piracy stuff, ads and stupidly long intros the film is probably using less than 20gb of space.

Modern movies are digital data, you can download an exact copy of a movie (maybe not so easily done legally, but it's very easy to do it illegally), most people just download the compressed version because you're not going to miss the THC dolby 7.1 surround track being reduced to a more basic surround sound.
    Downloads can't beat out blu rays when it comes to sound and image quality. That's a fact.
    Of course they can, it's just data.

No no guys, there is magic pixie dust on the actual Bluray disk itself - this is what gives it superior quality. The movie industry has spent years perfecting this magic. When you pirate the movie the pixie dust falls off, leaving you with worse quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

srsly78 wrote: »
    No no guys, there is magic pixie dust on the actual Bluray disk itself - this is what gives it superior quality. The movie industry has spent years perfecting this magic. When you pirate the movie the pixie dust falls off, leaving you with worse quality.

i wonder how many people would actually notice a difference or think they notice a difference

Well not the people that have "hd ready" tvs that's for sure.

• Advertisement

:pac:

i was looking into something like that not that long ago & if you've a 32" TV, you've to be sitting 4 foot from it to notice the the real benefit of HD

that's the only one i can remember but you've to be ridiculously close to the TV, also you can be sitting too far from it to notice it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol pointless, never even heard of them websites

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Block 23 out of thousands? I've not even heard of most of those. Can't they just stick 1000 mirrors up?

jaysus, at least learn about these things. Of course you can download blue rays and have been able to do so for many years. It doesn't even take long with new high speed net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I've used the several of the sites listed, such as torrentz, torrenthound and a few others.

I don't download often (nothing in the last 6 months) but I mostly download tv shows, which are aired on tv anyways eventually. I just want to blitz through the show more quickly.

But yes piracy is wrong, and not the ideal solution to corporate greed. Rather piracy is a symptom of the problem and it will decline as affordable sites like netflix and others grow.

Alot of the music I like isn't every mainstream so I buy that to support artists I like.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    :pac:

i was looking into something like that not that long ago & if you've a 32" TV, you've to be sitting 4 foot from it to notice the the real benefit of HD

that's the only one i can remember but you've to be ridiculously close to the TV, also you can be sitting too far from it to notice it

The joke is that "hd ready" actually means "not hd at all".

The joke is that "hd ready" actually means "not hd at all".

720 is classed as HD

By marketing people, it's ancient at this stage and not really high definition at all anymore.

If 1080 is "full hd", is 720 only "half hd"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Music: I tend to download a lot of albums and, if I like the artist then I go see them live. I've seen all of my favourites live except Metallica who I'm not overly keen on due to their obsession with profits.

Films: If it's on Netflix, I'll watch it there. Otherwise, I tend to go for the download option.

TV Shows: I really wish HBO Go was available over here. Aside from that, Love/Hate is the only thing I've downloaded recently as I can't get RTÉ over here.

Games: I've forgotten the last time I downloaded a game. They're available so cheaply and legally on the likes of Steam and it's ilk. Plus, if it's not great, I can get them dirt cheap on Amazon second hand the the publisher doesn't see a penny.

Yup. Steam and Humble Bundle completely changed how I get my games. A huge variety of games with about 1500 for less than a €5. Quick to download and install, trustworthy and good forums.

I don't own a TV as I refuse to pay for tv stations that I would never watch. And even if they have the shows I wanted to watch, it would be months after being shown in the US etc. So I 'acquire' TV shows via other means.

Movies I know are going to be good, I watch in the Cinema. 2nd rate/mindless action movies are not worth the price of cinema tickets so I acquire them elsewhere also. The very best movies get bought on BR. I like to support the very best artists/directors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Yup. Steam and Humble Bundle completely changed how I get my games. A huge variety of games with about 1500 for less than a €5. Quick to download and install, trustworthy and good forums.

Im not a gamer but surely that cant be legal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Im not a gamer but surely that cant be legal?

It is. Steam sales in particular are notorious for this. Recent titles tend to only get reduced to only about £10-£20 but you can get the likes of Skyrim for well under a tenner in a Steam sale. There's also midweek sales every week. In short, purchasing games legally is actually more convenient than piracy. The head of Valve, Gabe Newell has said that the way to beat piracy is to offer a better service than the pirates which is exactly what he has done.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

He thought you meant 1,500 games, all for a fiver, when what you actually meant was a catalogue of over 1,500 games available @ €5-10 each

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I used to pirate music, movies, tv shows, video games. Then Netflix, Spotify and Steam came along. Now I don't pirate anything.

Offer me a better service than the pirates and I'll pay you for it. Blindingly obvious when you think about it. Adapt or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Never pirated games.

Never pirated music but my brothers do but only a tiny amount tbh.

Download Movies and TV shows like and for the reasons I explained earlier in the thread.

However, give me access to every Bluray Movie and TVshow released to date on a cloud server viewable as many times as I want, whenever I want, wherever I want (wherever I log into the service be it on any media device in my own home or someone elses) and I will pay you €50-€100 per month.

The powers that be need to realise that they'll lose a lot less from the people who now buy more than €50-€100 a month in Bluray's and TVshows (Premium TV subs) than they will gain from the 100's of millions of people who download everything and pay nothing now but who would give the powers that be €50-€100 every month for what I described above. Netlix still has too many restrictions still

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

All HD tv's are HD ready.They don't display HD pictures unless connected to a HD source.

I agree with what Scumlord said earlier,I gave up buying dvd's & blurays.They simply took up so much space & were possibly watched once.Everything I have now is digital,connect a portable hdd to my tv & choose what I want to look at.Before it was buy dvd,put it in dvd player,watch a load of crap before the movie,watch movie then put it back into the box & then onto a shelf to gather dust.

I also use XBMC a bit as does the missus,so long as stuff is available free online people will download/stream it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

It just so happens that carte blanche Netflix would cost around 2 euros more than that. 7 for Netflix and 5 to a website that makes your ISP go to America.

I havent tried it yet and of course we cant give out links here but there's plenty of info online, on YouTube especially

Do they have films as soon as they are released in the USA too?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Calibos wrote: »
    However, give me access to every Bluray Movie and TVshow released to date on a cloud server viewable as many times as I want, whenever I want, wherever I want (wherever I log into the service be it on any media device in my own home or someone elses) and I will pay you €50-€100 per month.
    A month! Such a service would have pretty low overheads, all they'd be doing is hosting files for streaming. You can get sky packages for much less than €50 and it's a much more expansive service so nobody should be paying €50 or more for access to a streaming service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I buy all my games from steam or amazon and most TV and films from netflix. The odd time something isn't on netflix (game of thrones) I will stream it online. If they offered me a way to stream it for 10 euro a series I would pay that but they dont so I have to go elsewhere.
    It just so happens that carte blanche Netflix would cost around 2 euros more than that. 7 for Netflix and 5 to a website that makes your ISP go to America.

I havent tried it yet and of course we cant give out links here but there's plenty of info online, on YouTube especially

There are free ways to watch the US netflix. I use a google chrome extension for my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Downloads can't beat out blu rays when it comes to sound and image quality. That's a fact.

pure and utter bull

tell me the difference between the encode and the source

example

http://imgbox.com/acstRzlz

The rays coming out of the encode aren't as "blu" as the original you see, this is related to the magical pixie dust previously mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭joostl

Do they have films as soon as they are released in the USA too?

Some yes and a lot are pretty close

Advertisement