Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to look for trainee job?

• 16-07-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

I've recently finished an ordinary degree in accounting and finance, my overall grade was a first. I completed this after the doing the Accounting Technician course. So therefore I am exempt from Cap1, if I do Aca. Or 7 exams if I go with Acca.

I have been looking for jobs online at jobs.ie, gradrecruid and the chartered accountant trainee vacancies. Is there somewhere else I should be looking as there is not a lot of roles available. Also even though they say you need a honours degree is it worth my while applying and saying I have full Cap1 exemptions.

I'm currently working as a accounts payable clerk and have being doing my study part time. Also I'm based in North Kildare but looking at Dublin jobs too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Theflyingegg

Yes it is worth applying. Cap 1 exemptions are appealing.

Use Irishjobs.ie too and create a monster profile with your cv. Be sure to edit all your monster settings to your liking and re-upload your cv every 3 days or once a week. Some firms will hire recruiters who will look on places like monster for candidates and won't advertise online. By refreshing the cv regularly you get put to the top of the pile for employers' search results.

Your experience will be an advantage, especially if you are look to go into industry.

Look for trainee jobs on indeed, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I have been looking for jobs online at jobs.ie, gradrecruid and the chartered accountant trainee vacancies. Is there somewhere else I should be looking as there is not a lot of roles available. Also even though they say you need a honours degree is it worth my while applying and saying I have full Cap1 exemptions.

I'm currently working as a accounts payable clerk and have being doing my study part time. Also I'm based in North Kildare but looking at Dublin jobs too

There are loads of jobs available in accounting, even at junior levels. Not all jobs are advertised so make a list of companies you'd like to apply for and start applying. A lot of companies use agencies so no harm in registering with some & tell them what sort of area you are looking for work in (although be careful as agencies have a habit of trying to railroad you into jobs you don't really want).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Yes it is worth applying. Cap 1 exemptions areappealing.

Use Irishjobs.ie too and create a monster profile with your cv. Be sure toedit all your monster settings to your liking and re-upload your cv every 3days or once a week. Some firms will hire recruiters who will look on placeslike monster for candidates and won't advertise online. By refreshing the cvregularly you get put to the top of the pile for employers' search results.

Your experience will be an advantage, especially if you are look to go intoindustry.

Look for trainee jobs on indeed, too.

Thanks I never heard of Irish jobs and never knew that you could upload a cvto monster. I will upload them over the weekend. I'm hoping more for a practisejob over industry. But my main goal is to get a job that will allow be toprogress and move up as I continue my studies. Can't spend the next yearopening post and just registering invoices. I need something that will helpwith my studies. I just keep seeing honours degree but even if I did an extrayear and got my degree it wouldn't give me any extra exemptions. So it feelslike a waste of €2500 and a year.

tenifan wrote: »
    There are loads of jobs available in accounting,even at junior levels. Not all jobs are advertised so make a list of companiesyou'd like to apply for and start applying. A lot of companies use agencies sono harm in registering with some & tell them what sort of area you arelooking for work in (although be careful as agencies have a habit of trying torailroad you into jobs you don't really want).

Thanks I'll have to make a list of all the companies that are nearby andapply. I wouldn't mind using an agency but as I’m working I don't want to betrekking in and out meeting agency to do the pre-interviews before theyactually put you forward for a job.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement