Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cutting hole in path around house

• 07-05-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭

Hi. I would like to cut out a 6 inch hole in the concrete path that goes around the base of the house. It would be cut approx 6 inches from the wall. The concrete is there about 60 years and I have a couple of questions:

1. If I cut a hole, could this lead to the foundation or material underneath being effected badly from water drainage ?

2. What is the likely hood of the soil underneath being in any way decent to plant something in the first place?

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi. I would like to cut out a 6 inch hole in the concrete path that goes around the base of the house. It would be cut approx 6 inches from the wall. The concrete is there about 60 years and I have a couple of questions:

1. If I cut a hole, could this lead to the foundation or material underneath being effected badly from water drainage ?

2. What is the likely hood of the soil underneath being in any way decent to plant something in the first place?

Cheers

Heres a 3rd and very important question....

Are there any underground utilities/services where you are proposing to dig the hole????

By this I mean gas,water,waste pipe,power cables????

A 6 inch hole is a very small hole if you are trying to grow something.

You will need to dig out existing hardcore/rubble below the concrete and add in new soil and manure/compost/grit.......depending on what you are trying to grow.

Would you not build or install a small rasied planter box instead??

Make it out of pressure treated railway sleepers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

paddy147 wrote: »
    Heres a 3rd and very important question....

Are there any underground utilities/services where you are proposing to dig the hole????

By this I mean gas,water,waste pipe,power cables????

A 6 inch hole is a very small hole if you are trying to grow something.

You will need to dig out existing hardcore/rubble below the concrete and add in new soil and manure/compost/grit.......depending on what you are trying to grow.

Would you not build or install a small rasied planter box instead??

Make it out of pressure treated railway sleepers.:)

Thanks for rhat. Yeah a planter might be best alright. I am planning on growing a clematis up a wall and thought that it would need deep soil to get good coverage on the wall. Would a planter restrict the height of the clematis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

A neighbour of my parents built a 4 foot wall right (very badly) beside their driveway. To disguise it they got a hole-boring company to drill holes in the concrete which could not be more than 6 inches in diamater. They planted various ivy's and they have all thrived, wall now covered.

Watch out for clematis - it will always grow towards the light and you may end up with most of it in a place that you dont want it and none where you do..

homer911 wrote: »
    A neighbour of my parents built a 4 foot wall right (very badly) beside their driveway. To disguise it they got a hole-boring company to drill holes in the concrete which could not be more than 6 inches in diamater. They planted various ivy's and they have all thrived, wall now covered.

Watch out for clematis - it will always grow towards the light and you may end up with most of it in a place that you dont want it and none where you do..

Hmm. It's a south facing wall. Will it not just grow upward?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I grew a few clematis in those large pots Dunnes sell. Gives you better control of them. If it starts to grow too much and get out of hand stop watering/feeding, or visa versa if its not growing enough.

• Advertisement

So I have decided to grow clematis in a planter box.

Can I get some advice on the soil make up for this type of plant? The box will be 1m x .5m x .5m high so there is still a decent amount of soil needed. A mix of top soil and potting compost? Should I add something that will help the clematis?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

is it to drain water

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Clematis like their roots to be cool. If the planter is facing south You should line that side with a piece of polystyrene to insulate it, and cover the top with a thick layer of pebbles or bark mulch.

I would have thought that a clematis would be happier in the ground and that your plan would work fine so long as you clear any hardcore from under the concrete. In a 60 year old house there is every possibility there is no hardcore and you just need to refresh the soil. You do need to look out for pipes and cables though.

looksee wrote: »
    Clematis like their roots to be cool. If the planter is facing south You should line that side with a piece of polystyrene to insulate it, and cover the top with a thick layer of pebbles or bark mulch.

I would have thought that a clematis would be happier in the ground and that your plan would work fine so long as you clear any hardcore from under the concrete. In a 60 year old house there is every possibility there is no hardcore and you just need to refresh the soil. You do need to look out for pipes and cables though.

Yes this was brought up earlier in the post about cables and pipes etc so I have decided to go with a planter. I also run the risk of rain water running in underneath e the concrete which good for the health of the house. If the clem isn't performing well then atleast I have a planter that I can replant into.

Any thoughts on mixture of soil I need?

Advertisement