Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

scrappage - owner transfer

• 08-01-2011 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi there. was hoping someone could help me, i am thinking of getting a new car with the scrappage deal but the car will be in my fathers name(he has a car to be scrapped) was just wondering how long does it need to be in his name before transferred over to my name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-scrappage-scheme.html

According to the above it has to be in your name.

Without knowing any more, the easiest thing is your father buys it and then "sells" it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your father qualifies for the scheme get him to buy and register the new car in his name, then he transfers ownership over to you. That is the only way afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dunkindonut1

thats great limerick man and bazz26 thanks. do you know though can he "sell" the car straight away to me or does he have to own the new car for a certain period?

Nope, he can "sell" it to you as soon as he recieves the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As long as the person who qualifies for the scheme is the first registered owner of the car then the Government/garage don't give a monkeys after that.

As soon as your dad receives the new registration cert, you can both fill in and sign the change of ownership section on the back, send it off and you will receive a new registration cert in your name a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dunkindonut1

thats brilliant thanks for your help! all i have to check now is whether or not i can transfer my insurance onto that car with his name on the car. fingers crossed!

thats brilliant thanks for your help! all i have to check now is whether or not i can transfer my insurance onto that car with his name on the car. fingers crossed!

Any time I've tranfered the car they've said "Will the car be registered in your name".

I'm sure your insurance company shouldn't have a problem.

Advertisement