Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Short time work and employer employing new people.

Options
  • 09-09-2014 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm in the same job 10+ years. 3 or 4 months ago i was laid off for a month due to a lack of orders. I was then brought back on a 3 day week and have been told a few times that things are still bad but will be brought back full time when things improve.
    Two weeks ago they brought in another worker and gave them a weeks work cash in hand doing the same job as me. I was overlooked and it annoyed me but i let it slide.

I've just been out and bumped into another ex-employee and she told me that she is coming back to work for a few weeks, doing the same job as before which is the same as mine. She left a year ago and was only 6 months in the company before leaving.

I've also found out that people are getting overtime i.e Saturdays.

Seems to me my employer is taking the p*ss with me.

Is this legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yes. Provided that they're fulfilling the legal aspects of your contract it's legal. Unless you have it specifically in writing that they would give you the hours back over another employee (which I'm 99.9% you wouldn't have).

Maybe there's an underlying issue with your work that they aren't discussing with you? Are they paying these temporary workers less?

Advertisement