Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cathal McGee pantomime on RTE

• 19-11-2003 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

The Eircom head of Sales in an interview recorded earlier and just played on the business news just claimed that DSL was €45 including VAT. He had been asked was DSL here not very expensive.

Even when RTE pressed him he swore it was 45 including VAT not 54.

Fair play to the journo (John Murray) though - he asked him again, Magee had to call over some assistant who actually told the truth.

Very funny radio!

But depressing that Magee - who is on the Eircon Board I think does not know the price of the products.

Worth listening to when its up on the RTE site a bit later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yes I just heard it on the radio. Fair play to the journalist he went after them and finally got a straight answer. Goes to show Eircom are not thinking of residential customers when one of their senior marketing types doesn't even consider VAT as part of the price.

It was a bit depressing to hear Dermot Aherns response to questions about Eircoms monopoly by saying that Eircom were the most competitive of all the players in the market (or something to that effect). Then rolling out comments about the wireless licenses being the saviour of all and how it will bring competition to the marketplace. We can only do as much as the legislation allows was another comment I think.

None too encouraging for the future if thats the official attitude.

Still nice to hear Eircom caught out properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Comedy moment all right if it wasn't so unbelievable!

It's almost as if certain senior staff have been brainwashed to some extent and must never EVER EVER admit to the price being over €50 so its €45 in all their minds not matter what!

I caught most of it live and was most impressed with John Murray's reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I heard it too. John Murray would not allow McGee to prattle on about the fictitious €45 BB package for residential customers, he must have given McGee about 4 chances to correct hiimself , nicely, and to add VAT. At the end you hear McGee asking a PR bunny to calculate the VAT and he finally admitted it was €54.45 a month. John then pointed out that the price was outrageously high and we heard McGee blow on about signing up 1000 a week and about Phil Nolans 100000 punter target being met by the end of next year (that requires that they sign up more like 1500 a week Cathal, there are 60 weeks to go and you are shy 85000 punters you dope).

John Murray is an example of a journalist who knows his facts and wont take crap from Eircom, Congratulations should be sent directly to news@onbusiness.ie and to murrayj@rte.ie and 57live@rte.ie . We want more of this man.

The interview (the Business News bit) will shortly be available on the RTE website Here. , you will need Real Player. (ta Viking)

Played John :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

The interview is available on the RTE website Here. , you need Real Player.
    I think thats yesterdays one Muck.

Direct link here

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

and now this chap is head of the HSE eh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Really worth dragging up a ~7 year old thread for that? (Hint: no).

Advertisement