Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom Fixed Wireless Access

Options
  • 19-07-2005 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have any experience of Eircom's FWA product?

I rang on behalf of friend in Meath covered by an exchange which is not on the "to be enabled" list and was told that FWA was likely to be there before DSL.

Does this Eircom FWA yolk work? Is anybody using it?

Can anyone confirm the pricing? The guy quoted me €450 to set up and €39 (he thought) rental per month. However, the website quotes €732 set up and €54 rental. Have they slashed the price of this product? [edit: rechecked pricing with eircom. It turns out the male biddy had quoted me the satelite prices in error. Web quoted prices are correct]

The eircom site suggests FWA is available in 63 areas of the country and to one third of the population. Any views?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

63 masts are "allegedly" enabled .

I know nobody who sucessfully managed to get Eircom to install this vapourificatious 512/64 product which has been 'on sale' for slightly over a year. I know of a few who heard all sorts of excuses why they could not, one of them lived on a hill 600m away from the tower .

The only way to get it is to email them, fwapacketandsatellite@eircom.ie .

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I used it once in Tipp at a broadband in Tipp show.
    Worked fine for browsing, though it never got over about 300kbps downloading.

Didn't get to do much else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That FWA that Eircom peddle is a farce. One of my local exchanges (Termonfeckin) has FWA yet has no DSL, nor was it included on the new upgrade list. It's slightly comical to see eircom putting an 8 metre wooden pole/mast beside the exchange, which is at the bottom of a river valley and is surrounded by drumlins up to 50 metres high on 3 sides. To complete the irony, the view that is available is of the Irish Sea, it being a little over half a mile away...

MJET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

vinnyfitz wrote:
    the website quotes €732 set up and €54 rental. Have they slashed the price of this product?

The eircom site suggests FWA is available in 63 areas of the country and to one third of the population.

David McRedmond and ComReg have the brass neck to go out and claim publicly that Irish broadband take-up was hampered by low computer penetration!

And then they admit they provide broadband to one third of the population at the speed of 512/64 for €54 per month and a substantial set-up fee. And even that claim is a lie. In reality this ****e of an offer is not available to one third of the population. Most of the not dsl served part of the population have to do with ISDN at per minute priced rates, that add up to many hundreds of € per month when used on an always on basis.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Eircom are required to say that they offer it for regulatory reasons. Otherwise the spectrum could be taken off them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

So no one knows of a subscriber to a Eircom Fixed Wireless Access product???

Nobody. Its 'available' in Bantry so why not mail them to see what the excuse is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i actually know of a hotel in donegal who use it from the mast at barnesmore near donegal town ( i firewalled it so it is there and working) there are i believe here are a couple of other customers can't get it myself cos i haven't got line of sight. although it is quite hard to find out about unless you have an account manager and hassle the daily until they get fed up.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Nobody. Its 'available' in Bantry so why not mail them to see what the excuse is ?

I have no idea if eircoms FWA is available in Bantry...but Chorus have plans for Wireless using a 60m mast!!!

zuma wrote:
    ..but Chorus have plans
    LOL , please don't mention that C word in here :)

• Advertisement

Yeah people in my area are not delighted either:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2742152&postcount=1

Advertisement