Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last employer delaying giving reference

Options
  • 06-01-2015 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have a job offer on the table that I have accepted subject to references, one of which has to be my most recent employer. The new company has contacted my last employer for a reference but they have 'not responded', and I have contacted my old boss (by text, email and today vmail) but have also not had any response.

I didn't leave on bad terms and there's no-one else who was above me in seniority who could give the reference except the person I gave. There's also no HR department. I can't really think of a reason why they would't give a reference, and to be fair they haven't refused as such, just not replied to anyone who asks...

Any ideas? Job offer is hanging in the balance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He may have just taken an extended holiday and isn't back in the office yet?

Is there a reception you can ring and ask to speak to him? Or someone else in your old department that you could check to see if the guy is around?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mongie

Thanks for the reply - he's not office based but he is around so to speak. He also is glued to his pda/laptop so I'm reasonably sure he's received all the correspondence relating to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does the company have a policy of not giving references?

Is there someone else who could ask him why he's not responding?

They usually give references (I wrote many during my time there as ops manager!) and to date I haven't contacted my replacement to ask if there's a reason the ops director isn't replying to reference requests.

There was a problem with a worker under me before I left but the ops director dismissed their issue as nonsense. I left shortly after, not because of that, and my exit was amicable. I can't imagine that has anything to do with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If they are not acting as per the norm, then I would take the view they are unwilling to give a reference particularly if they have been contacted multiple times by both you and your new employer.

Your best option might be to check their whereabouts with your replacement. Maybe they are away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

mongie wrote: »
    I have a job offer on the table that I have accepted subject to references, one of which has to be my most recent employer. The new company has contacted my last employer for a reference but they have 'not responded', and I have contacted my old boss (by text, email and today vmail) but have also not had any response.

I didn't leave on bad terms and there's no-one else who was above me in seniority who could give the reference except the person I gave. There's also no HR department. I can't really think of a reason why they would't give a reference, and to be fair they haven't refused as such, just not replied to anyone who asks...

Any ideas? Job offer is hanging in the balance.

Basic question, did you ask if the person was willing to give you a reference, before you used their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Basic question, did you ask if the person was willing to give you a reference, before you used their name?

+1 on this.

I would never mention someone as a reference unless I was 100% certain that they were going to sing my praises.

Jim2007 wrote: »

Yes I did, he brought it up on my last day (Christmas Eve) telling me to absolutely use him as a reference. I called the company today and they said he is working (but not replying to me/my new employer....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

Yes I did, he brought it up on my last day (Christmas Eve) telling me to absolutely use him as a reference. I called the company today and they said he is working (but not replying to me/my new employer....)

Then it looks very odd. Do you have his mobile number so that you could call him directly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OK, then I would suggest you try and call him directly and simply explain to him that you took him up on his 'kind' offer and that xyz & company are trying to contact him, when would be the best time that suits him? Something like that and see what he says, at all costs try to avoid being confrontational as that is not what you need.

For the future, I'd also suggest you try and get a written reference from him if possible, even if you have to write it yourself and just get him to sign it.

If it is a total fail, then all I can suggest is that you at least try to get a personal reference from some work colleague there and in such a case simply explain that Mr. X is unavailable, but that Mr. Y would be more than willing to talk to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement