Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working Hours

Options
  • 05-01-2015 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone

First time poster so please be kind. This is probably a silly question, but I could really use some advice.

I've worked at my organisation for nearly 2 years. Very recently I've been promoted into a new role in a new team (same department, but different people). I am not contracted to do set hours, but rather have to work "the hours needed to get the job done". They use 37 hours pw as a guideline. In my old role I worked 8am - 5pm with supposedly an hours lunch but I never had time to take it. In my new role, I want to ask if I can work 8am - 4.30pm with a 30 mins lunch. This is because I have a very long commute and want to miss the rush hour traffic.

The problem is that I am scared to ask my new manager if this is possible and, as I am fairly young and have been promoted quite quickly, feel that my colleagues may look down on me for doing so (they mainly work 9-5pm).

How do I go about asking him? Should I just go for it?

Thanks

:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Would there be any issue if the full team worked the hours which you are requesting?

It may be a reasonable request, but it will certainly then set a precedent which will make if difficult for others to be refused the same.

Do you take any break currently for lunch at all?

Advertisement