Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underpayed?

• 16-12-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me to have an idea if Im underpayed at my work.

(english is my 2nd language)

I have no qualifications whatsoever but here is what I do in Small business where Im curently 2 years.

Credit control debt collection (~140k per month) (other office staff collects around roughly 20% out if it happens that customer places an order and they look at his account).

Sales/Purchase invoice processing and adding to general ledger (300-400 sales and 50 purchase per month)

Order processing (double checking prices ect before shipping)

Looking after couriers (organizing collection/deliveries)

Also taking orders over the phone/email if other phones are busy.

Account querys (sales/purchase).

some part of IT aswell as I set up all new softwares and troubleshoot if theres a problem in every IT aspect.

I work full week. (41 hours), I dont feel much of a preasure, but Id like to be paid a bit more than I am right now. or thats what you get since youve no qualifications.
    I get €8.65 an hour + theres this credit collection bonus a maximum of €250/month. (depends on how well I collect o/s balances €100 for 70% 200 for 80% and 250 for 90%.

Recently I asked for an increse on my wages but answer was negative as expected.

Im afraid to look for another job as I wont be getting similar role with no qualifications :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

OscarWill wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me to have an idea if Im underpayed at my work.

(english is my 2nd language)

I have no qualifications whatsoever but here is what I do in Small business where Im curently 2 years.

Credit control debt collection (~140k per month) (other office staff collects around roughly 20% out if it happens that customer places an order and they look at his account).

Sales/Purchase invoice processing and adding to general ledger (300-400 sales and 50 purchase per month)

Order processing (double checking prices ect before shipping)

Looking after couriers (organizing collection/deliveries)

Also taking orders over the phone/email if other phones are busy.

Account querys (sales/purchase).

some part of IT aswell as I set up all new softwares and troubleshoot if theres a problem in every IT aspect.

I work full week. (41 hours), I dont feel much of a preasure, but Id like to be paid a bit more than I am right now. or thats what you get since youve no qualifications.
    I get €8.65 an hour + theres this credit collection bonus a maximum of €250/month. (depends on how well I collect o/s balances €100 for 70% 200 for 80% and 250 for 90%.

Recently I asked for an increse on my wages but answer was negative as expected.

Im afraid to look for another job as I wont be getting similar role with no qualifications :(

Thanks

Two years for a job with some responsibility and on minimum wage? It seems low to me.
    What is to stop you looking for another admin job? You can do that while in your current job, there is nothing to lose. You may not be qualified, but you have experience.
    In the meantime, do the best job you can, it really makes a difference in your outlook. Good luck, you have options, you are not stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Im afraid to look for another job as I wont be getting similar role with no qualifications

I wouldn't be so certain about that.

Why don't you look anyway, and see what you can get offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OscarWill

I wouldn't be so certain about that.

Why don't you look anyway, and see what you can get offered?

Well Im looking for pas month or two, but all similar roles requires some kind of qualification
    I considered to do evening clasess with ATI (account technician Ireland )but it was canceled in my area.

So what you saying guys I could earn more than minimum wage?
    I dont want to be to greedy but 8,65 / h is not enough for me in order to pay all bills ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Well Im looking for pas month or two, but all similar roles requires some kind of qualification
    I considered to do evening clasess with ATI (account technician Ireland )but it was canceled in my area.

I dont want to be to greedy but 8,65 / h is not enough for me in order to pay all bills ect.

Of course it's not enough. Yes, you should get more. Your responsibilities go way beyond minimum wage territory.

Whether you can get more is a different story. Lots of people out there are on very lean wages at the moment. Do the ATI course and keep looking for a better paid job.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Do the ATI, but in the meantime just apply for jobs. If you lack the qualification but have the experience, apply anyway, experience is important and you may well be successful. Nothing to lose, don't give up trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I'd say your vastly underpaid, From your job description you should be on €27k+

What's your native language and where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OscarWill

I'd say your vastly underpaid, From your job description you should be on €27k+

What's your native language and where are you living?

I feel so frustrated reading all these replies and can't believe that my boss knows that I should be getting more than €8.65 and won't do nothing about it :(

I live in co. Louth for past 7 years
    I am Lithuanian, but as far as I know my English is fluent.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I feel so frustrated reading all these replies and can't believe that my boss knows that I should be getting more than €8.65 and won't do nothing about it :(

I am Lithuanian, but as far as I know my English is fluent.

Thanks

You should start applying for jobs , the majority of jobs will be Dublin based if your happy to commute or relocate?

If your English is fluent then don't worry about your lack of qualifications, as you have 2 years solid work experience

2015 could be your year to finally get paid what you deserve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That could be the problem then: your boss doesn't need to pay you any more to keep you, because there aren't many other jobs in Lough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I suspect when the time comes and you tell your boss you have a new job you'll get offered a pay rise to stay.

He's not increasing your pay because he thinks that's all he needs to pay you.

And do try to get a qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

qualification versus experience is 0 these days,since you can have diploma or cert and 0 qualification,but when it comes to work experience nothing beats that.

Only thing you need is to get interviews,if your fluent and can explain your roles,there wont be much stopping from anyone hiring you,and it wont be 8.65e an h rate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Thanks

If this is true then you are not under payed , pay is based on the market not a supposed effort or impact to your work.
    If the market will not pay you more to do this role elsewhere and your employer can replace you at the same cost then why would he offer you more ?

That said ,apply for other roles you might be suprised at what else is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Sounds like you are definitely underpaid. I employ peope doing far less than you on 10-12 eph. You are unlikely to get the 27k mentioned previously in the thread in one go however. Throw the line out and see what you get on the various job sites. It may be the case that your employer has a set wage for your role and will just slot in another entry level person rather than pay more.

Advertisement