Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

R&A Golf rules Online course - certified level 1

• 21-09-2014 4:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I recently completed level 1 of the R&A rules school, I can now do level 2 in Carlton house if I can secure a place.
    Level 1 is an online course follow the link http://rulesacademy.randa.org/. It cost 10euro to take the quiz

Its a basic quick guide to the rules, I would recommend it to all golfers who are interested in playing the game correctly. For example an interesting thing I realised was that if you let someone off with a rule in stroke or stableford, your not just cheating against your playing partners, your cheating the entire field. So why do a lot of golfers let go certain rules for example rule 8 (Advice). Is that rule less important than hitting a ball into a water hazard?

Some people think it is less important, yet the R&A penalises 2 strokes in stroke play for a breach of rule 8 and only 1 stroke for hitting the ball into a water hazard.

It seems that none of the guys I play with know the rules, understand the rules or care about the rules. Maybe its an Irish thing but some people think that giving advice isn't a serious rule. Or you'd be a right pr#ck to mention it.

Another incident in my last day out my partner hit a ball into a water hazard yellow stakes and then dropped his ball in front of the hazard just off the green. I mentioned that he can't drop the ball there and he picked it up and stormed off to the next tee. I felt like a right pr#ck.

I would love the game more if people knew the rules of golf and how to behave on the course.
    Should the GUI make everyone pass this online quiz before they get their GUI number? I know it won't happed but what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Hi Guys

I recently completed level 1 of the R&A rules school, I can now do level 2 in Carlton house if I can secure a place.
    Level 1 is an online course follow the link http://rulesacademy.randa.org/. It cost 10euro to take the quiz

Its a basic quick guide to the rules, I would recommend it to all golfers who are interested in playing the game correctly. For example an interesting thing I realised was that if you let someone off with a rule in stroke or stableford, your not just cheating against your playing partners, your cheating the entire field. So why do a lot of golfers let go certain rules for example rule 8 (Advice). Is that rule less important than hitting a ball into a water hazard?

Some people think it is less important, yet the R&A penalises 2 strokes in stroke play for a breach of rule 8 and only 1 stroke for hitting the ball into a water hazard.

It seems that none of the guys I play with know the rules, understand the rules or care about the rules. Maybe its an Irish thing but some people think that giving advice isn't a serious rule. Or you'd be a right pr#ck to mention it.

Another incident in my last day out my partner hit a ball into a water hazard yellow stakes and then dropped his ball in front of the hazard just off the green. I mentioned that he can't drop the ball there and he picked it up and stormed off to the next tee. I felt like a right pr#ck.

I would love the game more if people knew the rules of golf and how to behave on the course.
    Should the GUI make everyone pass this online quiz before they get their GUI number? I know it won't happed but what do you think?
    Great post, yes it appears it is an Irish thing and yes the GUI should have a mandatory test before allowing anyone to play, focusing mainly on ettiquette and the most basic/common rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2009/02/golf-rules-asking-for-and-giving-advice.html

I don't think a test is necessary, It would almost certainly put people off taking up golf knowing they must pass a theory test.

A better idea I think would be a meeting similar to the Safe Pass. 30-40 minutes highlighting (as above) the most common/broken rules used during competition and etiquette presented by your Comp Sec.

I can't really see it being an Irish thing either, I played with a couple of English guys and an Australian who all gave advice on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    http://www.barryrhodes.com/2009/02/golf-rules-asking-for-and-giving-advice.html

I don't think a test is necessary, It would almost certainly put people off taking up golf knowing they must pass a theory test.

A better idea I think would be a meeting similar to the Safe Pass. 30-40 minutes highlighting (as above) the most common/broken rules used during competition and etiquette presented by your Comp Sec.

I can't really see it being an Irish thing either, I played with a couple of English guys and an Australian who all gave advice on the course.

What about making a 3 tier system as in casual golfer, amateur golfer and pro.
    Casual golfer Hcp men's 16-28 and if you want to progress to Amateur status you must play a 15 over round and complete level 1 of the rules.
    That would keep bandits out of the serious competitions (by making 2 prize categories). It would also be a goal for golfers who want to improve.

At the moment all golfers are thrown into the same category from 0 to 28 it doesn't make sense to me. Golf digest is one of the few comps to have separate categories for long and short hcps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Casual golfer Hcp men's 16-28 and if you want to progress to Amateur status you must play a 15 over round and complete level 1 of the rules.
    That would keep bandits out of the serious competitions (by making 2 prize categories). It would also be a goal for golfers who want to improve.

At the moment all golfers are thrown into the same category from 0 to 28 it doesn't make sense to me. Golf digest is one of the few comps to have separate categories for long and short hcps.

I think most clubs do have category prizes?
    Our club has the membership split into 3 categories and prizes are awarded for best in each of those, as well as best gross and overall. A nice balance I feel.

And I think you're making a serious mistake assuming that the main issue with bandits lies in the 16-28 category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Doesn't seem like a bad idea but what about those who play to a high handicap due to age, health or skill level?

I know what your saying, its kind of like handing a new driver a full license and hoping they know the rules of the road.

Split prizes sounds good ( more chance to win after all) but I don't think it will solve any bandit issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement