Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

fishing near croke park

• 01-06-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Does anyone fish the canal behind croke park is there many fish ? Where exactley do you fish the canal thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

Im not to far from croke park but always go at least as far as leixlip to fish the royal. But have seen pics of a pike or two in cabra and a good few on the inner city grand canal stretch but dont know about the numbers of perch and roach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I'd be more worried about the lads hanging around that end of the canal than I would the number of fish in the water!

Id say it be a bit busy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭lovebirds

Just looking for somewhere close enough is there parking near lexlip where abouts do u fish it ? Thanks

I fish from leixslip to clane and usually park at any of the locks. There is good parking at maynooth train station and kilcock harbour. And although iv never fished the train station as its a bit crowded for me iv seen nice fish been taken from there.Watch vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAz4jXsrZ7w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I fish from leixslip to clane and usually park at any of the locks. There is good parking at maynooth train station and kilcock harbour. And although iv never fished the train station as its a bit crowded for me iv seen nice fish been taken from there.Watch vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAz4jXsrZ7w

Ah wearing gloves, no proper net, no unhooking net. A full house of fishing bad practice all in one video. The music doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

What's the fish stocks like in the canals now since they were decimated by those who would eat anything that swam?

Flysfisher wrote: »
    What's the fish stocks like in the canals now since they were decimated by those who would eat anything that swam?

Its still quite mixed IMO. Some areas that undoubtedly went downhill are still low on stock whereas some others with faster growing species seem to have recovered (due to faster repopulation and growth by Roach etc).

I few areas I used to fish for good tench are still depressed due to the lower fecundity and growth of tench.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Ah wearing gloves, no proper net, no unhooking net. A full house of fishing bad practice all in one video. The music doesn't help either.

Give the lad a break, his first pike he could be doing a lot worse things then fishing...

Great little video, shows interest which can keep a lad from straying into worse things....

Fair play keep it up...

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Give the lad a break, his first pike he could be doing a lot worse things then fishing...

Great little video, shows interest which can keep a lad from straying into worse things....

Fair play keep it up...

I was hardly being the harshest critic in the world was I? No name calling just observation on bad practice. Did I call him a noddy? No. Did I tell him to pack up fishing? No. I just highlighted bad practice, which is what it is.

Essentially I just pointed out some rookie errors. He would do well to loose the gloves before the fish looses its slime, get a proper net for your target species and use an unhooking mat when fishing from a hard concrete and gravel bank which will cut fishes flanks open. I know as I have fished there for years and seen that exact thing happen.

If you have issues with that I would worry about how you handle your own catch and release fish. I would also point out that this is not Kerry where fishing pressure is low. This is suburban Dublin essentially where fishing pressure is high and most fish of that stamp will be caught more than once. Treat them wrong and they go back damaged.

I have also, in the past, spent years encouraging the youth of Dublin into angling and given up thousands of hours of my time to do that. But what we always highlighted was good practice. The guy in the video seems like a big lad. I am sure he wont go crying off and give up angling because I highlighted the need to handle vulnerable fish properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Fair play keep it up...

It is a good video, great to see someone catch a nice fish, but Bio Mech is right, if someone sets out to target Pike they should be prepared to handle one properly.

(Although I know Dan knows this) Despite their appearance, Pike are a very delicate fish. At least the post highlights to newbies (which there seems to be a lot of around here these days) that they need to take a bit of extra care with species such as Pike.

EmptyTree wrote: »
    It is a good video, great to see someone catch a nice fish, but Bio Mech is right, if someone sets out to target Pike they should be prepared to handle one properly.

(Although I know Dan knows this) Despite their appearance, Pike are a very delicate fish. At least the post highlights to newbies (which there seems to be a lot of around here these days) that they need to take a bit of extra care with species such as Pike.

Good post. Balanced. In addition to pikes natural fragility you have pressure issues at the water in the video too.

At that spot over the years I have seen: Pike stuffed in black bags (before the coarse fish bye laws), pike belly up in keep nets, lads landing pike and being afraid of them leading to them being left kicking around on the bank (which is an odd mix of concrete and sharp gravel) and lacerating their flanks, people with no unhooking gear afraid to touch pike, dead pike with traces in their mouths attached to five pound mono, people using milk bottles as floats, and one pike that had its mouth trapped shut by treble hooks attached direct to mono. That fish was alive but just sitting on the top of the water, we netted him only to realise that he was in such bad shape he was suffering from extreme parasitisation including of the eyes. He was completely blind. I also saw one guy pike fishing with a gaff on the bank behind him. A young lad, he got it off his uncle who was a salmon angler.

And that's just the stories related to pike.

Here is a picture of that blind pike actually.

pb3.jpg

You can see the cloudiness of the eye. It looks like a massive cataract. The hole that looks like the pupil is actually an open hole that was filled with small red worms.

I am guilty of my own fair share of damage to fish in the past too BTW. In the days of poor quality keepnets etc in the 80s. So I am not claiming to be without sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

I was hardly being the harshest critic in the world was I? No name calling just observation on bad practice. Did I call him a noddy? No. Did I tell him to pack up fishing? No. I just highlighted bad practice, which is what it is.

Essentially I just pointed out some rookie errors. He would do well to loose the gloves before the fish looses its slime, get a proper net for your target species and use an unhooking mat when fishing from a hard concrete and gravel bank which will cut fishes flanks open. I know as I have fished there for years and seen that exact thing happen.

If you have issues with that I would worry about how you handle your own catch and release fish. I would also point out that this is not Kerry where fishing pressure is low. This is suburban Dublin essentially where fishing pressure is high and most fish of that stamp will be caught more than once. Treat them wrong and they go back damaged.

I have also, in the past, spent years encouraging the youth of Dublin into angling and given up thousands of hours of my time to do that. But what we always highlighted was good practice. The guy in the video seems like a big lad. I am sure he wont go crying off and give up angling because I highlighted the need to handle vulnerable fish properly.

Encouragement Bio, encouragement is the key with young people...

What you may see as wrong, might not be wrong.. Id rather see him fishing then anything else...

Boards is not the place to be telling people whats wrong or right, its far better practised on the bank which i am pretty sure you do... No harm meant just taught you where down his throat a bit..

Encouragement Bio, encouragement is the key with young people...

What you may see as wrong, might not be wrong.. Id rather see him fishing then anything else...

Boards is not the place to be telling people whats wrong or right, its far better practised on the bank which i am pretty sure you do... No harm meant just taught you where down his throat a bit..

No offence taken Dan, its hard sometimes to convey context through typing. We are on the same side here. But I think on a public forum like this if you don't highlight some things it can cause problems. So Boards I think can be the place to air your views on whats right and wrong once you do it properly.

I agree on the encouragement I agree fully. But if you look at the picture above and my previous experiences you might see where I am coming from. Over time it can get under your skin.

I also don't think its actually Zombiekiller in the video is it? The way he posted suggested it was just a video he had seen? I only posted here tongue in cheek and didn't post on the Utube video. If it is the OP in the video I didn't mean to offend.

Anyway I shall move along....

BTW down in Dingle first week in July. 22nd consecutive year. Wouldn't miss it. Only a week this time unfortunately.

No not me guys just a video i came across as i know the area. I have been invited to a fishing club event next week and am hoping to catch my first pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

I caught that fish Arthurs day it tried to take a bream few mins before great spot

Fair play keep it up...
    Thank you that wos me that caught that fish and we were only starting out i now go to cavan but it's some size for canal my now pb is a 23

Good post. Balanced. In addition to pikes natural fragility you have pressure issues at the water in the video too.

At that spot over the years I have seen: Pike stuffed in black bags (before the coarse fish bye laws), pike belly up in keep nets, lads landing pike and being afraid of them leading to them being left kicking around on the bank (which is an odd mix of concrete and sharp gravel) and lacerating their flanks, people with no unhooking gear afraid to touch pike, dead pike with traces in their mouths attached to five pound mono, people using milk bottles as floats, and one pike that had its mouth trapped shut by treble hooks attached direct to mono. That fish was alive but just sitting on the top of the water, we netted him only to realise that he was in such bad shape he was suffering from extreme parasitisation including of the eyes. He was completely blind. I also saw one guy pike fishing with a gaff on the bank behind him. A young lad, he got it off his uncle who was a salmon angler.

And that's just the stories related to pike.
    I caught the fish it went back unhsrmed

I caught that fish Arthurs day it tried to take a bream few mins before great spot

Yes it can be good alright. I used to fish it a lot. I would suggest an unhooking mat there though the bank can be very damaging if you drop a fish on it.

There has always been some very good pike there. The silver fish spawn there and the pike are usually waiting. I am glad you didn't take offence to my post BTW as there was none meant. Well done on a good fish.

• Advertisement

I caught the fish it went back unhsrmed

Good stuff.

Yes it can be good alright. I used to fish it a lot. I would suggest an unhooking mat there though the bank can be very damaging if you drop a fish on it.

There has always been some very good pike there. The silver fish spawn there and the pike are usually waiting. I am glad you didn't take offence to my post BTW as there was none meant. Well done on a good fish.
    none taking pal that's wen we first started hadn't a clue have it all now matt nets alarms etc i go to cavan alot the ramour is great wen it's cold.. That day maynooth we were there hours not a thing we had 2 deadbait out and 2 stick float with worms i got a bream decent size and just as wos bout to take him ove water mr pike had go at him i dropped the rod and ran lol no mess then a few mins later deadbait float went and there he wos didn't get a exact weight but wos a guy that works inland fisheries there he said biggest he seen long time

Good stuff.

We put him in shallow part held him for bout ten mins and he flew away i wouldnt mind meeting him again 2 years later

Advertisement