Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beginner fishing please help

• 10-05-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hey im 22 and looking to go fishing , need advice on a rod prefer a spinning rod ,there's a few on Argos and littlewoods for cheap could someone check them out for me or let me know a decent rod thats not to expensive ,in looking to start fishing like trout pike stuff like that ,is there any clubs in coolock where i could go out with other people to show me some stuff ,is there anywhere near coolock that i can fish pike trout .need all the help i can get

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

lovebirds wrote: »
    Hey im 22 and looking to go fishing , need advice on a rod prefer a spinning rod ,there's a few on Argos and littlewoods for cheap could someone check them out for me or let me know a decent rod thats not to expensive ,in looking to start fishing like trout pike stuff like that ,is there any clubs in coolock where i could go out with other people to show me some stuff ,is there anywhere near coolock that i can fish pike trout .need all the help i can get

Personally, Argos/Littlewoods wouldn't be the first place I'd go for fishing gear. You'd be much better off going to a local store as most are good for giving advice also. Buying from an Irish online store is also a good option. Is it just a rod you're looking for? Have you got everything else? How much are you looking to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭lovebirds

I need all the gear to be honest looking to spend as little as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭.red.

You might get away with a cheap rod but a cheap reel will give up pretty quick. You dont need to spend big to get a bit of quality but cheap reels are a false economy.
    Something like a shimano catana front drag is about €45 and is more than good enough to start out. It will last a lot longer than a reel for €20/25. A 2500 or 4000 size hold plenty of line but which one depends on what kind of rod. Their the same reel just different size.
    For a rod the tronix pro rockfish ml is a good budget option. Its casting weight is something like 7-25g so will do for everything bar the heavier plugs. It about €45 depending on where you buy. There are cheaper rods out there too.
    You could get a combo for as little as €30/35 but if you are using them a lot they will wear down pretty quick and you will be buying again.

.red. wrote: »
    You could get a combo for as little as €30/35 but if you are using them a lot they will wear down pretty quick and you will be buying again.

This is the problem. Really cheap gear is pretty much disposable.

There are a few different price range rods on here that may be of interest with shipping included in price. I'd say something in around 8ft long would be fairly versatile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd suggest contacting local anglers or a club before buying anything. Best to talk to someone who will show you what you need and put you on the right path. Best to go out with a pike angler a few times too so you learn how to handle and unhook a pike.

Yeah ill definitely look into it more i think my local shop is barracuda tackle shop in artane , anyone know of any clubs in the area or where i might find out thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

If you find a local club you will probably be able to pick up all the gear you need second hand.
    Most fishermen have a few rods and reels that they never use and would be willing to sell on so you might be better off contacting a club before you buy anything.

Good idea ha anyone know where i could find a club or group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

try the search on facebook, just put in your area then fishing or angling club and you might get a few hits

just checked and there is a FB page for coolock fishing club, contact them and you should be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Alright pal,

I live in baldoyle and have a bit of gear, i can take you out once or twice this week but after that im moving to waterford.
    We wont be going very far ;) were the same age so contact me if ye want ill be going tomorrow

Hey man wats up yeah i think tomorrow be ok what time you thinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Lets go for the day, so 11 or 12.. do you have any gear? if not I have everything for ya, leave your number or ring mine and il tell ya where we will go..

hey i can go out anytime i lost ur number boards took it down

hey i can go out anytime i lost ur number boards took it down

You can send your number to him through a private message as it's not a great idea to display your number on a public forum.

Yeah thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Said I'd post in here rather than open a new thread.

Basically I'm looking to buy a rod and reel for spinning (mostly salmon/trout fishing) and could do with some guidance. I won't be using the rod constantly so not looking to break the bank (but at the same time don't want the thing breaking on me if I do catch something).

I was looking at buying maybe this as a reel (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/261469533284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

and this rod (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/261401742996?var=560296522525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

or this one: (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/400702427540?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

Have a couple of 14lb fishing lines and a number of lures already here.

My issue is that I'm not all that knowledgeable about the weights etc required or suitable for this kind of fishing, so any advice would be grateful. Also what kind of lures would you recommend? Thanks.

Advertisement