Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elementary [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

Could be worse, I remember when Fringe was first released, there was maybe a three month wait between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK, there seems to be a fair few middling-positive to positive reviews for the pilot so maybe I'll check it out...... But I really can't stand Lucy Liu!!!!

(Still think that promo earlier was one of the worst promos I've ever seem though)

OK, there seems to be a fair few middling-positive to positive reviews for the pilot so maybe I'll check it out...... But I really can't stand Lucy Liu!!!!

(Still think that promo earlier was one of the worst promos I've ever seem though)

Lucy Liu is really coming into her own on TV shows as of late though; with the likes of this and Southland, which I really think she was excellent in, she's really shown herself as a more matured and better actress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Seems to be a general consensus on the forums, it's alot better then expected. It's basically a higher end proceadural....something CBS is known for. As stated it's like Monk meets Castle or The Mentalist, not my COT but must mirror comments that Lucy Lui shocked everyone how good she was re; Southland.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

While Miller is good as Holmes I'm still not keen on Liu as Watson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    While Miller is good as Holmes I'm still not keen on Liu as Watson
    your the first person ive come across thats indifferent to her,

Officially kicks off tonight in that HD goodness, personally i'm gonna give it a miss, too much comparisons and chatter about Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You'll watch Femme Fatales, yet you'll skip this. Oh Richard, you are a puzzle!

Officially kicks off tonight in that HD goodness, personally i'm gonna give it a miss, too much comparisons and chatter about Sherlock.

That's a bit silly. Of course there's going to be comparisons, especially when they're both loosely based on the same source material, but individually they've gone off on their own little routes - while BBC's Sherlock sticks to the original stories, albeit with a modern twist, Elementary seems to have taken the characters and planted them in a completely new setting with new stories. The only real comparison is the fact that one is called Sherlock Holmes, the other Watson.

That's a bit silly. Of course there's going to be comparisons, especially when they're both loosely based on the same source material, but individually they've gone off on their own little routes - while BBC's Sherlock sticks to the original stories, albeit with a modern twist, Elementary seems to have taken the characters and planted them in a completely new setting with new stories. The only real comparison is the fact that one is called Sherlock Holmes, the other Watson.

If they play out this "will they, won't they" stich with Holmes and Watson.......and if they hook up in season 6 :mad:

• Advertisement

If they play out this "will they, won't they" stich with Holmes and Watson.......and if they hook up in season 6 :mad:

I think it would be interesting, Richard if you tried to only post about shows that you watch or plan on watching. Much as we all appreciate you're thoughts on ratings and demos I really dont think many others are as interested as you'd like to think that we are.

Why not? Holmes and Watson have always been fond of each other in every material based around their stories, at least this way it's more acceptable if they do hook up.

don ramo wrote: »
    the official pilot is the 27 of september, so it gonna be 4 weeks before episode 2 is out:(,

Very good ratings for the pilot for CBS

Watched this just now out of curiosity and my gut instinct was correct...it's not for me. It's not a bad show per se but it's very much a proceadural with a twist, and not even a Holmes-ian twist.

The shooting style and film quality and some of the sets remind me alot of UK shows, it's as i said a quirky Monk type charcter mixed with The Mentalist or Lie To Me or sundry other shows of it's ilk.

The deduction style is played out different to the UK version...feels more normal and unHolmes like. Miller is good in the part but i'm not sold on Lucy Liu considering her excellent Southland acting.

I can already sense sexual tension and the will they won't they mantra played out to death on shows like Castle and Bones. It's a higher end proceadural....that's not the tv i watch.

3/5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

interesting that the had mini moriaty there, with the super manipulative doctor, but who will be the big bad?

Perhaps the strongest of the new shows. Intelligent, well made drama with a fine cast and a hell of a lot of potential to grow into a real winner. Really don't see why people are complaining about the possible will they, won't they relationship that may develop over the series. It makes sense that the writers would bring in a little sexual tension between the leads and I doubt that it's going to turn into six seasons of Holmes and Watson skirting around their feelings from one another.

Why not? Holmes and Watson have always been fond of each other in every material based around their stories, at least this way it's more acceptable if they do hook up.

Maybe it is only me and the show has only started but I see zero chemistry and sparks between Miller and Liu

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah there is a little bit, Liz. Some of the banter between them was playful and good fun.

I really liked this show, I'll definitely be sticking with it. The resolution to the case was very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes, much better than I'd hoped it would be. To be honest when I heard about the show first I thought WHY??? It's turning out quite well based on the first episode. I see it as a worthy successor to House which was loosely based on Holmes. I think I could end up really liking this a lot. Will they, won't they, I don't care really. As long as the plotlines remain strong I'll keep watching.

I think the standard of the first episode carried through to the second. Interesting story, clever resolution, entertaining all the way through.

• Advertisement

Another crime-of-the-week story, but it was excellently done. I can see it playing out that over the next few weeks it will keep like that, to get the audience hooked in, before throwing us a story arc. Hopefully Moriarty will make an appearance in some form.

Yep, since Watson only has to be a companion for 6 weeks, something major has to happen at the 6 week point to make her stick around for longer.

I just did some reading in to Sherlock's drug habits and it seems that Holmes did frequently partake in substances.
    Holmes occasionally uses addictive drugs, especially when lacking stimulating cases. He believes the use of cocaine stimulates his brain when it is not in use. He is a habitual user of cocaine, which he injects in a seven-per-cent solution using a special syringe that he keeps in a leather case. Holmes is also an occasional user of morphine but expressed strong disapproval on visiting an opium den. These drugs were legal in late 19th-century England. Both Watson and Holmes are serial tobacco users, including cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. Holmes is an expert at identifying tobacco-ash residues, having penned a monograph on the subject.

Dr. Watson strongly disapproves of his friend's cocaine habit, describing it as the detective's "only vice" and expressing concern over its possible effect on Holmes's mental health and superior intellect.[19][20] In later stories, Watson claims to have "weaned" Holmes off drugs. Even so, according to his doctor friend, Holmes remains an addict whose habit is "not dead, but merely sleeping".[21]
    From Wikipedia.

I'll have to re-watch the two episodes again, but was it said if something happened in London, to explain his going across the Atlantic?

Show is playing out EXACTLY as expected, that said....ep. 2 was strong with a couple of good twists. Poor Jennifer Ferrin...The Cape, lol.

I can see how the *series* will play out, following the Monk model...Sherlock leaves London under mysterious/tragic circumstances. Over the series (8 seasons and 200 episodes) Watson will uncover the truth and peel away at Sherlocks layers.

Crime case-of-the-week mixed with some season long stroy arcs...notably at the beginning and end of each episode. Moriarty gets introduced....he teases Sherlock all series long until the final showdown in episode 199.....

Ishould be writing for tv!....it's 100% proceadural...with a twist, i'm not saying it's bad but it COULD be much more!, hell i'd like it more if they followed the UK style....the sleuthing and deduction style of the UK show is tremendous!

I just find Miller flat....though i did like his joke about the rubber sex mask in the closet + burning the violin....eh, how is that still working after he burned it?

My issue is i see WAY too much of Monk/House/Lie To Me/Castle/The Mentalist and Bones and sundry other US proceadurals....with a twist.

The sexual tension between Holmes and Watson has already started, this i hate you stay outta my business woman! malarky has been done to death, Watson already trying to figure out Sherlock to be closer to him, living in his house....walking around in undies.

How before Sherlock starts porkin some random chick and Watson disaproves ergo jealous. Seen it all before people.......

burning the violin....eh, how is that still working after he burned it?

Different violin. The one at the end was in a case.
    My issue is i see WAY too much of Monk/House/Lie To Me/Castle/The Mentalist and Bones and sundry other US procedurals....with a twist.

Nothing wrong with that, when done well. And it is done well in Elementary.

Just bring in the story arc soon, please. It needs that hook to move the story forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't see a problem with the show or the chemistry, and have never bothered my arse watching Castle, Monk, The Mentalist, or even Lie to me, none of which appealed to me.

Show is playing out EXACTLY as expected, that said....ep. 2 was strong with a couple of good twists. Poor Jennifer Ferrin...The Cape, lol.

I can see how the *series* will play out, following the Monk model...Sherlock leaves London under mysterious/tragic circumstances. Over the series (8 seasons and 200 episodes) Watson will uncover the truth and peel away at Sherlocks layers.

Crime case-of-the-week mixed with some season long stroy arcs...notably at the beginning and end of each episode. Moriarty gets introduced....he teases Sherlock all series long until the final showdown in episode 199.....

Ishould be writing for tv!....it's 100% proceadural...with a twist, i'm not saying it's bad but it COULD be much more!, hell i'd like it more if they followed the UK style....the sleuthing and deduction style of the UK show is tremendous!

I just find Miller flat....though i did like his joke about the rubber sex mask in the closet + burning the violin....eh, how is that still working after he burned it?

My issue is i see WAY too much of Monk/House/Lie To Me/Castle/The Mentalist and Bones and sundry other US proceadurals....with a twist.

The sexual tension between Holmes and Watson has already started, this i hate you stay outta my business woman! malarky has been done to death, Watson already trying to figure out Sherlock to be closer to him, living in his house....walking around in undies.

How before Sherlock starts porkin some random chick and Watson disaproves ergo jealous. Seen it all before people.......

When I was watching the second episode, I kept in mind the whole "sexual tension" thing and there really wasn't any really. One happens to be a man and one happens to be a woman. You could argue the point that there was far more tension in BBC's Sherlock than there is in this one. If anything Elementary will likely go the route of them having a strong friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watson and holmes always had a bromance going on, it wasnt sexual, like here, it just so happens watson is a woman, and watson is living with holmes cause that how the sponsor program works richard,

i do wonder what their gonna do in episode 5-6 when watsons time is up alright, will holmes do something that will end up requiring her to stick around for a year or more, should be interesting to see how that works out,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭squonk

God Richard you're far too cynical. I've seen a fair bit of Monk, all of House and I'm still up for Elementary. Maximus from Gladiator sums up my attitude to judging most shows... "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??". Some shows leave me feeling very under entertained. Some leave me felling highly entertained. Elementary so far has left me feeling pretty well entertained. It's starting to move up my 'must watch' list which is a good thing. The show needs to grow into itself a bit but, for episode two so far, it's off to a fine start. I'm hoping it continues in the same vein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Just after seeing skys ad for episode one, manage to give two twists away,gobsh*tes

Advertisement