Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Obsessed river noob needs help.

• 20-07-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I grew up beside the sea and have spent years fishing it, this year I took up freshwater fishing. I find freshwater fishing alot more interesting so far.

I have 2 cheap light spinning rod setups. I began with course fishing and have had success with the open feeder.

I am now obsessed with catching myself the elusive trout.

I live in limerick and have been fishing the plassey section of the river using various methods, spinning with a meps, toby, float with worm and recently tried the bubble and fly.

I am from south donegal and have spent the last 4 days fishing Lough Melvin, Assaroe Lake and the River Drowes using the above methods.

I inadvertently hooked what i believe to be a salmon on the Shannon using my meps, unfortunately i failed to land him due to inexperience. :mad:

I am not going to invest in fly fishing gear this year, I will be sticking with my "conventional" setups.

I have too many questions but here's a few people might help with:

1) anyone have any good trout spots they can recommend to me around the above areas?

2) Which method should work best between meps, toby, float and worm or bubble and fly

3) keep catching perch (4 on worm, one on toby) , they take the hook very deep and even though I have a forceps, i'm upset that I killed 3 of them trying to remove the hook, I freed one cleanly and one I left the hook in. Is there a hook that disolves? or maybe thats BS, can perch be eaten? dont like killing fish un-necessarily.

4) considering fishing a rainbow stocked lake in Newmarket on Fergus, Co Clare. http://www.wix.com/fintanmehan/rta
    anyone fished here? Is it worth a shot? Even just to boost moral at this stage.

any help advice appreciated lads/ladies

regards..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lukich79

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/manns/hook_in_out.shtml

found this info regarding fish taking hook very deep,
    think part of my problem is i'm trying to fish 2 rods at once and am not sriking quick enough, allowing the perch to swallow the hook.

any help with any of the above appreciated

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

to unhook the perch on worm get a slammo disgorger and learn how to use it.

its the easiest way. Forceps is fine for lures but not deep single hooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

a simple enough solution would be to debarb your hooks. Makes life a hell of a lot easier when trying to remove a deep hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Perch are a delicious fish. Need to be a reasonable size though otherwise there will a lot of bones .

As for the fishery in Newmarket on Fergus, i have Emailes Fintan a good few times without any answer.... So i don't know. I should stop by sometimes as i live down the road.

THANKS LADS.

Hey tin 79 is that a "slammo" disgorger in the attached pic?
    If so I had one in my box, a friend gave it to me last week, i forgot I had it and used forceps :confused: doh!!

Will also remove the barbs thehamo, from reading that article i attached, bronzed hooks should release over time ahead of stainless steel ones.

I rang that fishery in Newmarket yesterday BoarHunter, they are open untill nightfall, gonna swing by there on my way to limerick from donegal this evening to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Thanks Lukich79 I'm only 3 minutes from there so i might give a go with the fly rod !

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Thanks Lukich79 I'm only 3 minutes from there so i might give a go with the fly rod !

fished it yesterday boarhunter, have my doubts that its been stocked lately, or else I just suck.

Still very little surface activity and no other anglers on water on a saturday eve :(

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

hey lukich, like yourself iv also just got back into fishing, im from bruff just outside limerick, my local lake lough gur has plenty of rudd and pike, always good fun and guaranteed to catch plenty, for the rudd i use a waggler float and my bait is maggots which i get in the tackle shop in limerick. in february i plan to get a season permit for bleach lough out by mungret, its stocked with salmon, trout, pike, rudd, roach & perch, it looks great. you should try using the bubble & fly at night time aswell, iv hooked plenty of trout with that method on my local river

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Barbless is the way to go if you keep having that problem, but learning to use a disgorger correctly is best.
    All down to getting the experience, as for eating perch I have never tried it nor would I, small perch have no eating in them, many are against it and I think that if you are lucky to catch a big perch it should be returned to give another angler the pleasure I got out of catching it.
    A big perch is a delight to catch and worth sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Barbless is the way to go if you keep having that problem, but learning to use a disgorger correctly is best.
    All down to getting the experience, as for eating perch I have never tried it nor would I, small perch have no eating in them, many are against it and I think that if you are lucky to catch a big perch it should be returned to give another angler the pleasure I got out of catching it.
    A big perch is a delight to catch and worth sharing.

Certainly barbless hooks are easier to unhook. A good disgorger and practice is vital too.
    On the general point of eating/taking perch I think it's worth while pointing out that All perch over 25cms (About 10") are protected and only 4 below 25cms are allowed per angler per day.

As a novice angler it is worth taking time to look up the current legislation.
    Bye law No. 806 is the one relating to coarse fish. If you intend fishing for pike 809 is the bye law.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

my local lake lough gur

What a pity Lough Gur wasn't stocked with Trout!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

ya its a pity, its got great potential, they should even stock it with perch aswell,i wonder why they dont stock it with trout or with anything for that matter?? any ideas??

nice one tony,
    will give that lough a look when i get time off work, going to try for pike. have never fished for them before.
    whats the most interesting way to fish for em?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Every angler will have their prefered way, some will say one way is better then the next, its all about getting out and trying various techniques until you find what suits you, maybe youll keep trying them all. Lure fishing being one of my favourite but now im trying dead baiting.. float fished baits, poped-up baits and some on the bottom.

One more thing is search google about handling pike, you will find plenty of info and its very essential to have the basic equipment to unhook them and to do it the right way and C&R. :D

Advertisement