Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accompanied driving-how to get enough practice?!

Options
  • 29-12-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm on a learner permit and live away from home due to work. I have been driving on and off for over 4 years and hoping this will be the year I finally pass my test! HOWEVER the accompanied driving rules make it extremely difficult for me to get enough practice...I only have my instructor and one friend here in Dublin to practice with, I cant afford to use my instructor all the time and my friend has very little free time. I can only go home approximately once a month so theres no option to practice regularly down there either!!! (Currently my family dont have a car either so even over Christmas I couldnt practice.)Everyone says "practice, practice, practice" but the accompanying driver regulations make it so difficult to do so. Has anyone else been in a similar position and if so how did you get round it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

In my case, I just drove unaccompanied. I had steadfastly resisted this option during my first two years of driving, but two failed tests a year apart convinced me otherwise. I am no way advocating this, nor am I encouraging you to break the law by doing so. However, it really was the only way I could build up enough experience to eventually pass my test. It is sheer luck that I was never once stopped by a guard, although I heard many stories from other L drivers who were stopped during that time, which just added to my nervousness. It was just a risk that I took, and it worked out. Others might not be as lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

In my case, I just drove unaccompanied. I had steadfastly resisted this option during my first two years of driving, but two failed tests a year apart convinced me otherwise. I am in no way advocating this, nor am I encouraging you to break the law by doing so. However, it really was the only way I could build up enough experience to eventually pass my test. It is sheer luck that I was never once stopped by a guard, although I heard many stories from other L drivers who were stopped during that time, which just added to my nervousness. It was just a risk that I took, and it worked out. Others might not be as lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Do any of your workmates live near you? I would imagine they would be glad of a free lift to work, and you get experience driving. Win win situation for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Likeafirework

I used to drive unaccompanied at home for a few months but I got stopped and got a caution. I didnt do it after that but I had no success in learning after that. Im too scared to drive unaccompanied in Dublin. :/ Plus now you can get penalty points...its all a load of crap!

Thanks for the suggestion about giving lifts to colleagues unfortunately its not an option either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I used to drive unaccompanied at home for a few months but I got stopped and got a caution. I didnt do it after that but I had no success in learning after that. Im too scared to drive unaccompanied in Dublin. :/ Plus now you can get penalty points...its all a load of crap!

Thanks for the suggestion about giving lifts to colleagues unfortunately its not an option either.

I see where you are coming from but you need to understand that it's not a load of crap; the new rules were brought in for the safety of all on our roads :)

Are you attending any courses or clubs etc where someone there could assist you?
    Safe Practice really is the key,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

There was a retired guy posting here relatively recently who was offering to act as an accompanying driver in return for a donation to charity. Pretty sure he was Dublin based too.
    Try a search, or maybe somebody else remembers his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Likeafirework

Thanks loobylou thats fantastic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Hi OP
    I totally understand your frustration. I have been in the same position.

I was one of the first people on this site to take up the offer of Sponsor for Charity as I needed the practice.

I took up Moomats offer of being my sponsor, we went out on the road once a week for 7 months, he was a great support to me as I learned, and it was so much better than having a partner/family member or friend sponsor me.

All in, I donated 750.00 euros to charity.

It got me to the level of driving whereby I didn't feel totally incompetent, and I could drive with my partner without it being tense, or an argument starting!

I went for the driving test in November, had a broken break light (I swear it was fine the night before!!), test could not be conducted and thus spent 30 minutes having a yarn with the driving tester in Raheny about my Journey learning to Drive. She thought it was a brilliant idea and since then I have put the suggestion to the RSA.

The thing is, the RSA now need to be seen to endorse this kind of initiative. They need to be more proactive. There are a lot more people in the same situation as you or I. And driving your workmate/close family member may not be the most positive route to getting the practice in. For example, in Australia, they have a panel of volunteer Mentors who and L driver can draw from, to get the practice in.

I am still in the minority, as is Moomat, in being a generous volunteer. Most L drivers do still drive on their own, (and not because of then penalty points) but because they have been led to believe that the only way they will pass the test, is by learning Independent Driving (ie, driving solo where you have to make your own decisions). If that is the case, then the format of the test needs to change.

I would love to see some positive input from the RSA on this Site, in supporting the idea of a national panel of Sponsor Volunteers.

So that's my tuppenceworth !

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

LilyShame wrote: »
    Hi OP

I took up Moomats offer of being my sponsor, we went out on the road once a week for 7 months, he was a great support to me as I learned

Glad it helped! :)

I would love to see some other people offering their time as sponsors. It can make a huge difference to a learners experience. For the moment I am unable to do it timewise but in the next few months I hope to start again.

If anybody has any questions feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement