Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haggle with a car dealer

Options
  • 02-10-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

hi all looking for your opinion

im going looking at a car in a in a garage on sunday and i was wondering about how much i could haggle with the car dealer

car is a 2011passat
    asking price is 16000

im not trading in any car and it will be paid by bankdraft do ye think i could haggle much

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

dk1345 wrote: »
    hi all looking for your opinion

im going looking at a car in a in a garage on sunday and i was wondering about how much i could haggle with the car dealer

car is a 2011passat
    asking price is 16000

im not trading in any car and it will be paid by bankdraft do ye think i could haggle much

thanks in advance
    My opinion is that car dealers expect to be haggled approx 10% obviously it depends on car, condition, spec etc etc
    I would be aiming for €14,500 if I was you. You can always walk back if you walk away you are not trading either so you are in a great position.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dk1345

Big Davey wrote: »
    My opinion is that car dealers expect to be haggled approx 10% obviously it depends on car, condition, spec etc etc
    I would be aiming for €14,500 if I was you. You can always walk back if you walk away you are not trading either so you are in a great position.

was thinking of saying my budget was 14500 and i would let on i could strech it to 15000 tops what else could i get out of them ive never really dealt in garages always bought private

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Depends on the car, if it's already cheap then there's less scope for bargaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Is €16k the advertised price or the discounted straight deal price?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dk1345

16000 is the advertised price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

There's no generic answer to this. Depends on the car condition, fuel type, mileage, warranty .....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Depends on the car, if it's already cheap then there's less scope for bargaining.

Agreed.

Try to establish what the car is really worth before making the visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Here's a recent discussion on this that might be useful reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One thing to take note of OP is that the new Passat is being launched next month. So if you have a bit of patience and can wait, prices of current models should start to drop plus dealers with used current models should be a bit more eager to shift them in order to make room for people trading up to the new model in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bazz26 wrote: »
    One thing to take note of OP is that the new Passat is being launched next month. So if you have a bit of patience and can wait, prices of current models should start to drop plus dealers with used current models should be a bit more eager to shift them in order to make room for people trading up to the new model in January.

+1 always be aware of new model launches that are going to affect the secondhand model you're possibly going to buy.

Was at work a few years ago and a colleague out of the blue told us he had just done a 'great deal' by buying a secondhand Passat. I knew that a new model was about to be announced within days, I'm sure so did the dealer but my colleague clearly did not so hadn't used the fact as leverage the way you described above which is good advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement