Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Cup Night - Meydan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

On so you think at 6/4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Double bollox to that.

Most overrated pile of ****e going.

Knew I should have just layed O Briens horses.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

20/1 Winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Double bollox to that.

Most overrated pile of ****e going.

Knew I should have just layed O Briens horses.:mad:

Than you would have had to pay out 9/1 or so on Daddy long legs :pac:

I agree about So You Think, the bubble burst a long time ago. I seen 11/4 earlier on and thought that was a tad short, couldn't believe when I seen the 11/8 show price. The layers at Betfair had him covered, stayed fairly steady at 7/4 on there. I was happy enough to lay at 2.7 still though

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Thanks Nulty, had a very close look at Montorosso after your OP and went e/w on him. Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Joesph O Brien is shocking (in general, i dont think anyone would have won on SYT)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Daddy Long Legs brilliant. Cannot work out the ride St Nicholas Abbey got,Didnt take long for the excuses for So You Think[didnt act on the surface].11/8 my god there are some very stupid people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

sting60 wrote: »
    Cannot work out the ride St Nicholas Abbey got

I watched this race and there was nothing wrong with it. His draw meant he had to wait it out until the gap appeared, and when it did he went for it not giving up lengths by going around the outside.

What do you think the jockey should have done differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Huntley wrote: »
    I watched this race and there was nothing wrong with it. His draw meant he had to wait it out until the gap appeared, and when it did he went for it not giving up lengths by going around the outside.

Nothing the jockey could do. Rode his horse perfectly and gave him every chance. Just found one better today.

When the race was so obviosly turning into a sprint from a mile out he let a confirmed speed horse and suspect stayer get 1st run on him. A more experienced jock would have gone for home and probably nicked it

• Advertisement

When the race was so obviosly turning into a sprint from a mile out he let a confirmed speed horse and suspect stayer get 1st run on him. A more experienced jock would have gone for home and probably nicked it finished fourth

FYP

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Nothing the jockey could do. Rode his horse perfectly and gave him every chance. Just found one better today.

Wrong. SNA stays really well, he was never going to outsprint the Champion Stakes winner off a stupid pace

FYP

See my next post, your wrong, you need to read races better

See my next post, your wrong, you need to read races better

I don't "need" to do anything. You need to stop talking through your pocket. Horse raced great - winner raced better. That's racing. If it was as easy as picking a favourite and declaring him the winner then they wouldn't even run the races - they'd just send the relevant connections a cheque.

I don't "need" to do anything. You need to stop talking through your pocket. Horse raced great - winner raced better. That's racing. If it was as easy as picking a favourite and declaring him the winner then they wouldn't even run the races - they'd just send the relevant connections a cheque.

I didnt back SNA, but your clueless, he was closing all the way to the line. He got a terrible ride. Thats my point.

When the race was so obviosly turning into a sprint from a mile out he let a confirmed speed horse and suspect stayer get 1st run on him. A more experienced jock would have gone for home and probably nicked it

He didn't have much option but to let the winner get first run, unless you think giving lengths up in the process going around the field would have been a better option?

I didnt back SNA, but your clueless, he was closing all the way to the line. He got a terrible ride. Thats my point.

Yes, I don't agree with you, therefore I'm clueless. Lucky for you you didn't back him, you have enough trouble figuring out what's going on after a race, nevermind beforehand.

Great racing today from Meydan, very enjoyable. Agreed about So You Think, where did 11/8 come from?? :eek:

He didn't have much option but to let the winner get first run, unless you think giving lengths up in the process going around the field would have been a better option?

It would have defo been a better option, but it was a slow pace from early so he had plenty of time but he let the race unfold against him. A more experianced jock wouldnt have. SNA has won over further and he got outsprinted. Thats jockey error

It would have defo been a better option, but it was a slow pace from early so he had plenty of time but he let the race unfold against him. A more experianced jock wouldnt have. SNA has won over further and he got outsprinted. Thats jockey error

No, that's racing. Do you think horses have Stop and Go buttons? A gearbox? Classic punter mistake: "he did it before so why not again??"

The jockey rode his horse perfectly and got beat by a horse who raced better than him on the day - by a head. End of story. Not every beaten favourite needs a 'bad ride' story... and this is one of them.

No, that's racing. Do you think horses have Stop and Go buttons? A gearbox? Classic punter mistake: "he did it before so why not again??"

The jockey rode his horse perfectly and got beat by a horse who raced better than him on the day - by a head. End of story. Not every beaten favourite needs a 'bad ride' story... and this is one of them.

SNA was closing at the finish, in a race that was in no way run to suit.

Your wrong.

And on ignore you go because my kid has more sense than you

• Advertisement

It would have defo been a better option,

It is impossible to tell whether that would definitely have been the better option.
    but it was a slow pace from early so he had plenty of time but he let the race unfold against him.

I wouldn't say he let the race unfold against him, rather that he decided to wait it out considering he was never going to be in a favourable position.
    A more experianced jock wouldnt have. SNA has won over further and he got outsprinted. Thats jockey error

Not necessarily, he had a poor draw and there was little pace. There is plenty of luck involved in winning races, and I think the horse just didn't get the run of the race today.

I have little interest in the flat but I would be extremely hesitant in referring to that as a "terrible ride". Different tactics could have yielded a different result but it is impossible to tell.

SNA was closing at the finish, in a race that was in no way run to suit.

Your wrong.

And on ignore you go because my kid has more sense than you

:D:D:D

As the young ones who hang round the street near my job would say: "Scarleh for ya!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I do think the jockeys were the difference in that race, but it was OP's brilliance, rather than JOB's ineptness that was the difference. The slow pace didn't suit either horse. One jockey was perfectly ok in the saddle, while the other was superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Richie I have to disagree with you to the extreme in claiming JOB is shocking. He is a very good rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Bang on Huntley - Nothing wrong with the ride. Perfectly executed, just found one too good under the circumstances

That's bull****. Did you see last years race? How many top class experienced jockeys were in that race? Joseph knew what he had under him and executed the ride perfectly well, he was beaten by a better horse on the day. St Nick is ALWAYS ridden that way. Using that race to beat Josephs talents as a jockey screams of desperation.

It is impossible to tell whether that would definitely have been the better option.

I wouldn't say he let the race unfold against him, rather that he decided to wait it out considering he was never going to be in a favourable position.

Not necessarily, he had a poor draw and there was little pace. There is plenty of luck involved in winning races, and I think the horse just didn't get the run of the race today.

I have little interest in the flat but I would be extremely hesitant in referring to that as a "terrible ride". Different tactics could have yielded a different result but it is impossible to tell.

I don't want to put words in your mouth but would "reluctant" be a better description of your thoughts? Its just hesitant suggests to me that you feel that way but don't want to say it. I'm complicating things as usual.

Nulty wrote: »
    That's bull****. Did you see last years race? How many top class experienced jockeys were in that race? Joseph knew what he had under him and executed the ride perfectly well, he was beaten by a better horse on the day. St Nick is ALWAYS ridden that way. Using that race to beat Josephs talents as a jockey screams of desperation.

Going down by a diminishing nose in a falsely run race is not 'executing the ride perfectly'.

The best horse in the race finished 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

There is a fine line, but i think it was a very good ride, and the horse in front just stayed better than expected, St Nick will probably improve for the run and will win a few G1s this year. The sight of him powering down the straight was something else despite the fact that he just failed to get there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gcy1980

The simple question to ask is "Would Ryan Moore have won on St Nicholas Abbey?" And the simple answer is "More than likely"! The best jockeys in the world can get the second or third best horses in a race to win from time to time but they, 99.99% of the time, win on the best horse in the race. For me Joseph O Brien is not in this category!! And for the biggest breeding operation and stable in the world, that is not good enough. I didn't back him either. I have an aversion to backing horses when I'm worried about a jockey!

Advertisement