Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding advice - Too generic a title?

• 10-03-2012 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My fiancee and I live in the Czech Republic. She is Polish and I am Oirish. and we hope to get married later this year. Marriage in both Poland and CR is really bureaucratic(really, really!). Im wondering if an Irish wedding would be easier to organise(no language barrier for a start).

However, money is a factor(in that we dont have very much), and the reception etc would be so much cheaper over here.

Its going to be a civil wedding as I am atheist and she is something else.

So I am asking, would it be easier to have a civil ceremony in dublin, with just her and my parents and a reception/party here with everyone. Or better to have every thing in one place?

Thoughts please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Keep in mind that the HSE only do Mon-Fri weddings, at particular times, and different rules in different counties. If it's easier for you guys to have the wedding here and the reception there, then do it. It's about what makes it special for you, but also affordable.
    It's also important to consider how feasible it is for your families to travel, irrespective of where you have your wedding.
    You can have a low-key legal ceremony and then celebrate the marriage separately. Personally I wanted to have everything on the one day so I'd have one day to remember and cherish. However, that's just me and there are lots of people who've had separate days for the two.
    btw, if you're interested in having a legal wedding celebration at the marriage venue, like a hotel, it can be done through spiritualceremonies.ie or the Unitarian Church. They do others' non-denominational ceremonies, no religion mentioned...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Gatica wrote: »
    btw, if you're interested in having a legal wedding celebration at the marriage venue, like a hotel, it can be done through spiritualceremonies.ie or the Unitarian Church. They do others' non-denominational ceremonies, no religion mentioned...

http://spiritualceremonies.ie/?page_id=14
    Please note you will still have to have the civil recognition of the partnership carried out by the HSE registrars as currently religious solemnisers cannot perform such a service, although we have petitioned the Minister for Justice on this matter.

Sorry OP, are you having a civil partnership? I didn't get that from your post.
    For regular marriages, the ceremonies apply, as I mentioned previously.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

syklops wrote: »
    My fiancee and I live in the Czech Republic. She is Polish and I am Oirish. and we hope to get married later this year.

Hi syklops,
    Here is the list of requirements for the HSE.

I got married to a French man and it was easy enough to organise.
    He had to get a birthcert and a document stating he was not married already.
    These then had to be professionally translated here in Ireland.

oh and btw, non-Irish birth certs have to get an apostille stamp for them to be accepted by the HSE. Try to get that done before you go to have your marriage licence application appointment. The stamp can only be done in the country of origin of the document.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Gatica wrote: »
    Sorry OP, are you having a civil partnership? I didn't get that from your post.
    For regular marriages, the ceremonies apply, as I mentioned previously.

Not that it should matter but it will be a normal marriage between a man and woman.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

no problem....

Sorry for the misunderstanding, it doesn't matter in terms of your vows to each-other; however the marriage laws in Ireland are different for man/woman couples and for civil partnerships between same-sex couples. The comment by niallam confused me a little as I thought maybe I misread something wrt to the type of marriage for which you were looking for info, as I had just mentioned other possible solemnisers as an option for a (legal) wedding ceremony.
    Best of luck with your plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zebra12345

If it helps, I got married in Poland last year and found it about as bureaucratic as it would have been in Ireland -the process of organising the civil ceremony was problem-free for us.

I had the same dilemma as you as to whether we should have the reception in one country and ceremony in the other. But to be honest, I decided it would have been a bit strange to get married where my family and friends are and not invite them, and then ask them to pay a whole lot of money to come over here for a party. I reckon it's better to decide on one place and just have it all there. If it were me and if you could get over all the bureaucracy in the Czech Rep., I would do it there -it would mean both families travelling for it, so there'd be no favouritism, and like you say, it would be cheaper. Probably less stress for organising as well, since you're living there.

Advertisement