Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Thank you for the kind replies. It been 3 days now, I feel so much better today, while I still have lots of problems in my life, my head is so much clearer.

I really want to do it this time and I'm trying to be honest with myself. For years I have blamed shyness and depression for my drinking. Be honest for the first time in my life I can see what the problem is.

I feel so good today and thinking to myself why do I put myself through all of this? I know it's going to be a long hard road but for the first time in my life I'm serious about stopping drinking. It's easy to say but I know it will be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

mixed up wrote: »
    Thank you for the kind replies. It been 3 days now, I feel so much better today, while I still have lots of problems in my life, my head is so much clearer.

I really want to do it this time and I'm trying to be honest with myself. For years I have blamed shyness and depression for my drinking. Be honest for the first time in my life I can see what the problem is.

I feel so good today and thinking to myself why do I put myself through all of this? I know it's going to be a long hard road but for the first time in my life I'm serious about stopping drinking. It's easy to say but I know it will be hard.
    In time you will peel back the layers of the onion. Since giving up 11 months ago, I've saved 30k, and looking at buying my first property later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LENNY86

I hope you discover the joys hidden within the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. I havent touched a drop of alcohol for a number of years given a daily reprieve by attending meetings.

It DOES get better and you WILL inherit a life beyond your wildest dreams.

5 days, I'm not going to lie, a few things getting to me today, I keep playing things over and over in my head, I know that I'm just being paranoid. I normally would of just drank myself stupid.I not going to give in this time, I don't care how hard it is. I'm not doing it anymore.

7days, Today was fine, never crossed my mind to have a drink, I got to spend time with my daughter this evening, if only every day was this easy ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LENNY86

7days, Today was fine, never crossed my mind to have a drink, I got to spend time with my daughter this evening, if only every day was this easy ha.

If your in Dublin and require to be brought to an AA meeting let me know. Willing to collect and drop you home.

Remember there is no change, Without Change.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

31 days. Had a glass of sparkling at Xmas, and 2 at New Year's eve, after a spell of almost fifteen months alcohol free. I could already feel myself normalising things in my head, introducing compromises and acceptable scenarios for taking a drink. And every glass tasted like one more! So I had to say no, and I'm already much happier having made that decision (again!) Let the numbers clock up!

Hope everyone is doing well here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

scriba wrote: »
    I could already feel myself normalising things in my head, introducing compromises and acceptable scenarios for taking a drink.

That happened me last Sat night. My original plan was Dry January. I was doing so well I decided that I would stay off it until May when I ran my next marathon.

I finished work last Sat night and got home at 1am. My wife was having a few drinks with 3 of her friends and the kids were in her Dads house. After 15 mins of saying I was not drinking I ended up drinking. A few beers and a few gin and tonics.

I didnt see it as a set back, It would be rare that the wife would have friends in the house for drinks so that prob wont happen again until the summer.

However yesterday I was off work and had a few jobs to do around the house. I got those done and a thought went through my head "Should I head out for a few pints and do a dry February"

I was amazed how quickly it could be normalized. I did not have any cravings are anything like that. I didnt have a drink and cooked a nice meal instead.

Thanks for the offer LENNY86, I don't live in Dublin though, I live in a small village in the country, it doesn't help that there's nothing in the village only a shop, post-office and pub.

9 Days today, I know it's going to take a long time to sort out the mess that I have made of my life but all I can do is keep staying away from the drink and hopefully things will work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

This year I decided to do dry January - it was a lot easier than I thought - and in fact I think I'll extend it to a dry February too!

• Advertisement

11 Days, Today was fine, by the time I got home from work, seen my daughter then. I hadn't got time to think about having a drink.

Nearly approaching a year without a drop, still get temptation but defo no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 newinvestor

Probably xmas day was my last pint , I used to drink a lot when I was younger , I never decided to give up alcohol I just found something I love doing which is running and the appeal of drinking faded fast . I don't drink at all now I like having a clean healthy mind my advice to people who drink a lot is find something to replace drink and you will never feel like you had to give up anything. I love been in control of my own body and mind I don't like what alcohol does to me. Good luck on your journeys I will never drink again , this country is a joke though .

Probably xmas day was my last pint , I used to drink a lot when I was younger , I never decided to give up alcohol I just found something I love doing which is running and the appeal of drinking faded fast . I don't drink at all now I like having a clean healthy mind my advice to people who drink a lot is find something to replace drink and you will never feel like you had to give up anything. I love been in control of my own body and mind I don't like what alcohol does to me. Good luck on your journeys I will never drink again , this country is a joke though .
    I actually went to south America and did a shamanic retreat. It showed me how I was damaging myself with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

11 Days, Today was fine, by the time I got home from work, seen my daughter then. I hadn't got time to think about having a drink.

well done, stay strong you can do it

well done, stay strong you can do it

Thank you, 14 Day's today, 2 weeks 😊 I need to stay doing this because if I break I'll go off the rails again. If I have a drink it won't stop and could last for weeks.

A small thing that happened today meant a lot to me. I can already see my life being so much better and happier for myself if I can stay off the drink. I had my daughter again this evening and that's what's important to me. I've already f___ed up so much of my life with drink and even drugs when I'm on a bender.

I hate myself when I'm like that, I don't have a care in the world, the whole world is against me and I don't care if I die when I'm like that. I don't want to spend my life like that, I'm determined to do it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Thank you, 14 Day's today, 2 weeks 😊 I need to stay doing this because if I break I'll go off the rails again. If I have a drink it won't stop and could last for weeks.

A small thing that happened today meant a lot to me. I can already see my life being so much better and happier for myself if I can stay off the drink. I had my daughter again this evening and that's what's important to me. I've already f___ed up so much of my life with drink and even drugs when I'm on a bender.

I hate myself when I'm like that, I don't have a care in the world, the whole world is against me and I don't care if I die when I'm like that. I don't want to spend my life like that, I'm determined to do it this time.

I wont say i was a big a drinker as yourself but i was at it every night. I replaced it with walking. Not mad power walking just strolling

So id usually open the first can at half 8. Now i go walking at that time do about 4-8 km a night. Give it a try i find it good for the head and by the time im home im too wrecked for anything but the cot

18 Day's, It's going well so far, having to deal with things where I normally would of just went drinking to forget about.

I'm surprised how quickly the days are building up. I can only just stay taking it one day at a time, I'm determined to make a better life for myself and don't want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

510 days. :)

bikubesong wrote: »

Fair play :) I nearly cracked last week. My anxiety levels went through the roof. Glad I didn't though.

Do you feel different?

• Advertisement

bikubesong wrote: »

Fair play to you, that's brilliant. 22 Day's for me today, A long way to get to where you're at but can just keep going 1 day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

50 days. Things are very busy in my life right now with very little down time. I thought about having one beer the other day at a kid's birthday party, but I passed on every offer. I would only have drank that one beer that day, but it's not about that. Every time I drink just one beer increases the risk of going back to how things were. And I'm never going back to that. Hope everyone is doing okay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I went to mass in Christchurch today, to hear the choir, I hadn't actually realised it's a CofI church - I went up for Communion and was then given the cup of wine! :eek: I only pretended to drink it, had a good shniff of it though ... have to get my wee thrills some way. :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

scriba wrote: »
    50 days. Things are very busy in my life right now with very little down time. I thought about having one beer the other day at a kid's birthday party, but I passed on every offer. I would only have drank that one beer that day, but it's not about that. Every time I drink just one beer increases the risk of going back to how things were. And I'm never going back to that. Hope everyone is doing okay. :)

That's great, good on you! It's hard to avoid situations where drink is around it can't always be avoided. Obviously heading off to a big birthday bash or the like in a pub isn't a good idea, like not early on as there's no need to put extra pressure on. Doesn't mean you can't have a social life though. But being able to say no when in a typical everyday situation like you were in was a real step up. You should be well chuffed with yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

40 Years today , how time flies . Gone in the blink of an eye .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

marienbad wrote: »
    40 Years today , how time flies . Gone in the blink of an eye .

“Life goes by like a flash in the sky, then the evening comes and its night time forever”

Big congrats marienbad! How different those 40 years could have been!

Garrett81 wrote: »
    “Life goes by like a flash in the sky, then the evening comes and its night time forever”

Big congrats marienbad! How different those 40 years could have been!

Indeed Garrett , and the first thing of which I have absolutely no doubt is that there wouldn't have been 40 years , long dead or a vegetable .

There is no forgiveness in alcohol

Fair play marienbad, 40 years is incredible. Well done.

30 Day's for me today. I do feel so much better in myself. Still paying for my drinking as my ex girlfriend has made it clear that we're never getting back together. That's the price I have to pay for my drinking. It really hurts as we have a child together and I still love her.

Sometimes I think to myself will it ever get any better but I'm just going to stay away from the drink and hopefully I'll find happiness eventually :-(

Fair play marienbad, 40 years is incredible. Well done.

30 Day's for me today. I do feel so much better in myself. Still paying for my drinking as my ex girlfriend has made it clear that we're never getting back together. That's the price I have to pay for my drinking. It really hurts as we have a child together and I still love her.

Sometimes I think to myself will it ever get any better but I'm just going to stay away from the drink and hopefully I'll find happiness eventually :-(

Remember mixed up that the old cliché is true that who ever was up earliest this morning is sober the longest . Take life a day at a time and live right as best you can and who knows what will happen .

I am a member of A.A and everything that I am and have I owe to those rooms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement