Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Fuel Stove Downdraught in windy weather

• 09-12-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

I wonder if someone can give me some advise here.

We have a solid fuel stove which works fine in calm weather but when its windy the fire can be blown out or smoke comes into the room when we open the door. Obviously we really need to use the stove when its cold and windy!

Part of our problem seems to be that the flue is a bit short on the outside wall as its the back wall of an extension and only 8 feet high. The flue goes up about
    another 4 feet but its still below the ridge of the house.

Had a look on the web and maybe some sort of a cowl could solve this but I also see that this does not work in all cases.

Also, anyone know anyone in Wicklow who could come out and sort this for us?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

arctictree wrote: »
    I wonder if someone can give me some advise here.

We have a solid fuel stove which works fine in calm weather but when its windy the fire can be blown out or smoke comes into the room when we open the door. Obviously we really need to use the stove when its cold and windy!

Part of our problem seems to be that the flue is a bit short on the outside wall as its the back wall of an extension and only 8 feet high. The flue goes up about
    another 4 feet but its still below the ridge of the house.

Had a look on the web and maybe some sort of a cowl could solve this but I also see that this does not work in all cases.

Also, anyone know anyone in Wicklow who could come out and sort this for us?!

Thanks

Ideally the flue should be higher. Most stoves need a 4m chimney or some need even higher.

I would add some more twin wall flue or use a H cowel. These are brilliant for downdraught problems, but ugly.

http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/H_Cowl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Ideally the flue should be higher. Most stoves need a 4m chimney or some need even higher.

I would add some more twin wall flue or use a H cowel. These are brilliant for downdraught problems, but ugly.

http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/H_Cowl.html

Thanks for your response. Just wondering which one to order. Is the 200mm the diameter of the outside flue? Do you think I could just fix this on myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

arctictree wrote: »
    Thanks for your response. Just wondering which one to order. Is the 200mm the diameter of the outside flue? Do you think I could just fix this on myself?

If it's a twin wall flue it would be the inside diameter of the pipe it would have to slot into. So if 150mm internal then thats the size you need etc.

I would give them a ring and ask them if it will fit your make of flue. I'm sure it will as they mention fitting to twin wall fabricated chimneys.

They say to fit it by using some self tapping screws.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Also living in wicklow and have a similar problem when its cold. Have adequate length of external run flue and a H cowl. Did a bit experimentation and i find if i open the inspection elbow and heat the inside of the flue prior to setting the fire then I don't have a problem. Less than top notch flue methinks.

Advertisement