Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Torrent users beware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Yeah, thought i was in serious trouble there but i dont download music anyway, especially irish music.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dahamsta wrote:
    On price, well, perhaps I'm old-fashioned but I believe that most people ultimately want to be honest. So I believe that if the prices were reasonable and no barriers are put in the way of my using my music fairly, the majority of people will take the honest route.
    Good post Adam, quite in line with what I'm thinking. The above though, I think is true too. Particularly now that it's been made clear that it's illegal, ultimately most people will pay simply because it's the right thing to do. It needs to be made easy though. For Joe Soap, it *is* easier to sign up to a website, punch in some credit card details, and start downloading what they want. Downloading a BitTorrent client, going searching for torrents, tweaking your settings and getting frustrated when you're not getting any downloads isn't the realm of the ordinary user. Regardless of what anyone thinks, using BitTorrent isn't easy for Joe Soap.
    All they need to do is drop the price (like AllofMP3.com), add some incentives such as having a physical album, say a memory stick with inlay cover, or a bonus DVD snail-mailed to your house when you download certain songs/albums, or getting 10 free tunes for every 100 you download. How music is delivered to the end-user needs to be redefined and reinvented to cope with the technology. People don't want to download an mp3 that will only play on their computer anymore than they want to buy a DVD that'll only play on Sony players.

There will always be the fringe few who think it's OK, simply because they're "big, evil corporations, stifling the free movement of data, and killing the music industry".

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cazeone

from a moral standpoint I see nothing wrong with downloading music.

people often compare it with stealing a cd out of a shop, but it isn't the same thing at all. downloading is not stealing because stealing requires that something be taken away from the party stolen from (the RIAA often say that sales are down since p2p arrived on the scene, but there is not a shred of independant evidence to support this), making a digital copy of something does not take anything away from anybody.

now, if someone were to soley take art for free and not support the artists they like (by buying the occasional CD, attending gigs, sending them a cheque in the mail) then there is an obvious moral problem with this, but I don't see any evidence that this is how most downloaders act. the people with prodigious collections requiring terrabytes of storage would hardly have bought the same collection if it weren't available for free.

There's also an obvious problem with people making a profit from other peoples efforts, whether it's asian/russian DVD/CD pirates, allofmp3, or even KazzAA and the likes who no doubt make a tidy profit in advertising.

Music Industry types constantly try and confuse the three issues, and they seem to get away with it too. The majority of news coverage seems to take a very uncritical view of their position. Even Jim Caroll of the Irish Times was on Morning Ireland this morning saying the coming lawsuits were a good idea and they had every right (not in the legal sense) to do so.

I really don't know why they are bothering though, the lawsuits have had no impact in the states.

The majors need to realise they're never going to make money with cumbersome DRM technology, they need to implement something simple like bleep or maybe some mix of regular p2p program with audio fingerprinting (though there isn't the technology available to make that a viable option at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

who the hell would waste there bandwidth on paddy casey???? :eek:

you use shareaza for tv shows paddyofnine, is it not ****??? used to use it for torrents and it was just bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

So does IRMA only represent Irish music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

surely there is a quick and easy way to block suspect addresses?
    Its not so much as blocking suspect addresses, its more for hiding your own IP.
    gsand wrote:
    everyone who is engaging in similar activities should really think about using protowall or peer guardian or anohter peer protection utility
    Neither gets on well with the Eircom routers... so I've been told :rolleyes:
    seamus wrote:
    the days of pirate digital information are coming to an end
    ...only for Napster Users, and for those who expect it on a silver plate. For those who know how, this will be not but a glitch in the line.
    norbert64 wrote:
    Granted it's good for all you P2P & BT users, but why Xactly are they bothering suing just 20 ppl.
    What makes them different to the rest of y'all. :confused:
    Each of thos 20 could be seeding an album to 500 n00bs. Each of those 500 n00bs woulnd't know how to set up a seed, so if you gut off the head (jail the main seeder), the body will die (the n00bs will go back to buying the music).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cazeone

the_syco wrote:
    Its not so much as blocking suspect addresses, its more for hiding your own IP.
    Well, you can't hide your own IP with p2p programs (aside from freenet and the like, which require too much bandwidth to be of much use at the moment) and proxies are either too slow or expensive, the only solution is to block incoming IP connections from known baddies, though even this isn't much use as they could just keep change their IP ranges (though at least this would cost them, hastening their downfall :cool:).
    Neither gets on well with the Eircom routers... so I've been told rolleyes.gif
    I don't see how their routers could know what firewall software you have installed on your PC. One problem I have noticed is that their blocklists contain loads of perfectly valid ranges, my email stopped working after I installed PeerGuardian for example.
    Each of thos 20 could be seeding an album to 500 n00bs. Each of those 500 n00bs woulnd't know how to set up a seed, so if you gut off the head (jail the main seeder), the body will die (the n00bs will go back to buying the music).
    Well, when most people in ireland are downloading from ppl in the US or UK then suing irish sharers isn't going to accomplish much, and as the numbers in the US and UK are so large, legal action is never going to be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Most important part of all of this is that downloading is not distribution. Uploading is the issue.

Also screw the 'precedents' in the states. What Irish judge is going to prosecute someone for downloading stuff?

I mean the police dont proactive go after the people who buy pirated goods do they? It's the the distro, that's why I never seed, but I'll try and keep a high ratio.

was just listening on the news there. there going after 17 seeders who where seeding something like 3000 songs maybe, cant really remember, but there only going after the uploaders, for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

off irishnews.com

The Irish Recorded Music Association has announced plans to take legal action against 17 Irish people who illegally make copyrighted music available over the internet.

IRMA said the Irish music industry was losing €3.8m annually because of illegal downloading and had seen its revenue fall from €146m annually to €118m over the past three years.

It also said legal action against music fans worldwide had led to a 21% decline in downloading.

IRMA said the 17 "file-sharers" it was targeting had made hundreds if not thousands of tracks available over the internet and were “effectively stealing the livelihood of the creators of music”.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

IRMA will settle them all in the end, the last lot of settlements in the UK (in March 2005) averaged UK£2000 each or €3000 Each and the defendants paid their own legal costs, or else their daddies and mummies paid their fine and costs for them .

Story on that

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/04/bpi_fileshare_settlements/

IRMA will also sue Eircom, it has been rumoured .

wonder how much of the monies raised by these fines actually gets back to the artists?? seeing as IRMA and the rest of them have the artists livelihoods at heart....don't think so tim...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

ha!! good luck to them getting anywhere trying to sue eircom!! not even in america would that work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Well their revenues might not drop if they stopped bringing out reality TV inspired crap and started to bring out music again.

Looks like it's back to ftp again soon then hehe.

music???? what the hell is that??

oh wait, hang on, i have a vague memory of this thing you speak of.

I shall consult my local library for more information.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

i wonder if these 17 people do exist? if they have been contacted or should we all be checking our mail!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

So really now they've just given "the 17" plenty of time to, if they want, burn all their songs to cd's and hide them, wipe their hard drives, and pretend as if nothing happend.

Would they get anywhere with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya im one of em.....I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cazeone wrote:
    I don't see how their routers could know what firewall software you have installed on your PC. One problem I have noticed is that their blocklists contain loads of perfectly valid ranges, my email stopped working after I installed PeerGuardian for example.
    I think its something to do with the type of router. Not sure; its been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved over to computers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Gryzor wrote:
    IRMA said the Irish music industry was losing €3.8m annually because of illegal downloading and had seen its revenue fall from €146m annually to €118m over the past three years.

Please, they just exagerrate the figures and blame p2p for all their problems. The RIAA in the states did the same but an independent study caught them out for not including the post 2000 economic trends, the post 9/11 and dotcom crash effects. They even forgot to compensate for the physical bootlegging of music as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Makaveli wrote:
    What can IRMA actually do? Are ISPs even allowed disclose information to them or is that in violation of the Data Protection Act? And even then, do ISPs log all bittorrent traffic, and what if you use private trackers, how can IRMA trace what gets sent?

I think sum1 said in the security section a few months back, that Eircom could be fined up to 12000 if they don't release your info, rest assurred that Eircom will shop us down the river in a heartbeat, lol.
    the_syco wrote:

So am I to assume that the 20 being sued are the seeders or main culprits, lol, then. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The worst offender was sharing a whopping 3000 songs! :eek:
    (according to the head of IRMA on Today FM an hour ago)

Iv more then that on my MP3 player... Its just pathetic death throws of an industry that cannt see whats in front of their faces for the last 3 or 4 years...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rew wrote:
    The worst offender was sharing a whopping 3000 songs! :eek:
    (according to the head of IRMA on Today FM an hour ago)

Iv more then that on my MP3 player... Its just pathetic death throws of an industry that cannt see whats in front of their faces for the last 3 or 4 years...

well I suppose 3000 songs is alot for a person using Kazaa considering most people only share out one or two files when using it as they don't want loads of people leeching of them using their upstream. ;)

Which makes me think its some dumb ass who left all their songs in the shared folder. That of they have the bandwith/conections limited way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Some sites of interest at the moment...

Link listing the countries and number of cases against P2P worldwide here.
    Inerestingly all the irish cases are civil cases rather than criminal.

The IRMA are just tools.The mother of all fatcat groups the IRPI's statistics here. (WARNING: the following statistics from the IRPI may be distorted and exaggerated due to executive sleazyness and corruption.) :D

from link above ....

According to several IFPI's local operations, including Finnish ÄKT, the lawsuits were targeted to P2P users who were considered as "heavy file uploaders", people who share thousands, maybe tens of thousands of files via P2P networks. It should be remembered that downloading from P2P networks is perfectly legal in most of the European countries.

this can't include copywrited material :confused: Is it legal in our fair land??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

...and again from that link

"Internet piracy in Ireland
    Around 20% of all adults claim to have purchased blank CDs at some point. 14% claim to have done this in the past year - around 400,000 people."

My God 20% of people have bought blank CDs, have they NO shame.
    Arrest them at once!

Coz blank CD's can only be used for dodgy stuff... It mind numbing how dumb these people can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS ACT, 2000

Especially the offences section [chapter 13]. Ask yourself the question how many "friends" do you have on P2P ;)
    Mind you under that same section you can be done for having a CD-Burner in your PC.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Advertisement