Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

broadcast charge

Options
  • 15-09-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

This is meant to cover the viewing of PBS tv/radio on all forms of digital devices and will replace the current tv licence.

However what happens when say for example your BB service is so poor that you can't use it to stream RTE/TG4 and you live in a black hole where tv and mobile reception is so bad that for tv you'd have to install a new aerial, do you end up paying €160 pa for radio services you never listen to.

Obviously this example is me as I found out to my detriment early this week when my sky subscription came to an end and the only FTA channels we can view are the UK ones.

I read a while ago that Rabbitte wants to go from radio via the normal route to internet only radio, well if he wants this then he needs to be able to provide everyone who would lose normal radio coverage with the ability to receive it via the net.

This country sucks at delivering a proper communications service and there's only so much leaving it to the private sector to provide can deliver, it's time Pat Rabbitte got his finger out and made good on the promises that got him and his party elected into government.

Incoherent rant over but hopefully you get my point!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Replacing Broadcast with Internet is fantasy. They are different things.

It's 10,000 times more expensive to deliver HD to EVERYONE via Broadband than Broadcast. Only possible with fibre. Broadband isn't portable and needs substantial power consumption compared to a broadcast receiver.

Mobile Internet can't feasibly EVER deliver even Radio to everyone at once (unless every street had several masts), nor compete with FM coverage, never mind the even better AM coverage.

The two systems are complementary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

funnyname wrote: »
    However what happens when say for example your BB service is so poor that you can't use it to stream RTE/TG4 and you live in a black hole where tv and mobile reception is so bad that for tv you'd have to install a new aerial, do you end up paying €160 pa for radio services you never listen to.

Didn't you get the memo? Everybody has fantastic broadband now so the Minister and Comreg say, so it's obvious you just don't want to pay your tax for the great service you get...really c'mon just pay up you know it's for the good of the IMF country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

watty wrote: »
    Replacing Broadcast with Internet is fantasy. They are different things.

It's 10,000 times more expensive to deliver HD to EVERYONE via Broadband than Broadcast. Only possible with fibre. Broadband isn't portable and needs substantial power consumption compared to a broadcast receiver.

Mobile Internet can't feasibly EVER deliver even Radio to everyone at once (unless every street had several masts), nor compete with FM coverage, never mind the even better AM coverage.

The two systems are complementary.

Can you clarify if a multicast IPTV system like Orange TV in France or the BT Sport channels delivered via multicast on YouView in the UK would be impossible without at least Fibre to the cabinet?

Can you clarify if a multicast IPTV system like Orange TV in France or the BT Sport channels delivered via multicast on YouView in the UK would be impossible without at least Fibre to the cabinet?

It can be delivered via ADSL2. I've only seen the French system and frankly it was pretty awful...so yes I would say that to have a proper experience you would need fibre to the home or at the least co-ax.

I haven't seen IPTV over VDSL as yet so I imagine it will be better for some people than the ADSL2 experience however the question would be does VDSL deliver enough "bandwidth"/"capacity" and will it ever?

I've seen BT Sport and ESPN in HD via YouView in a Fibre to the Cabinet connected home. The phone line into the house was an aluminum wire from the 1940s connected to an overhead line, though the cabinet was about 200 metres away. It was subjectively as good as HD delivered via satellite.

• Advertisement

I've seen BT Sport and ESPN in HD via YouView in a Fibre to the Cabinet connected home. The phone line into the house was an aluminum wire from the 1940s connected to an overhead line, though the cabinet was about 200 metres away. It was subjectively as good as HD delivered via satellite.

I haven't seen it on VDSL as yet but I'm sure it'll be ok(ish)

On ADSL2 it ate up most of the bandwidth leaving very little for internet browsing and general usage (the calculations are simple enough).

So the point is if you want to deliver IPTV then you really need FTTH, anything else is a fudge...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Ironically those who have left Ireland will most likely have a better chance of watch RTE online then those still here - since the chances are that no matter where they go they'll probably have better access to Broadband than here. So, I wonder ... do they plan on charging everyone outside Ireland €160 for the privilege of watching RTE online? (i.e. via subscription) - and if so what will the drop off rate be if they do? 100%?

If they want to charge €160 for a subscription they had better give us the full Saorview package!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

funnyname wrote: »
    This is meant to cover the viewing of PBS tv/radio on all forms of digital devices and will replace the current tv licence.

Obviously this example is me as I found out to my detriment early this week when my sky subscription came to an end and the only FTA channels we can view are the UK ones.

I read a while ago that Rabbitte wants to go from radio via the normal route to internet only radio, well if he wants this then he needs to be able to provide everyone who would lose normal radio coverage with the ability to receive it via the net.

This country sucks at delivering a proper communications service and there's only so much leaving it to the private sector to provide can deliver, it's time Pat Rabbitte got his finger out and made good on the promises that got him and his party elected into government.

Incoherent rant over but hopefully you get my point!

The new broadcasting charge is for anyone who can receive any RTE service where there radio TV or via the Internet

Simple so I don't see what your complain is

The poor Broadband is got to do with either if you live in the middle of no where which is your choice but you can still get satellite broadband or if the Internet provider won't put down a proper line but you can still get satellite broadband or MAN Internet either
    But these issuses have nothing got to do with RTE

Many people had to up grade their tv aerials when the digital switch was made so not really much of a point and with the digital signal the coverage is better and wider than before
    You can also get RTE via saorsat

On one hand you complain that you can't get RTE put then you say you have to upgrade your aerial so you therefore can get RTE and then you complain that you can't stream live RTE/TG4 but then you say you never watch them!!

Please make your mind up

This just sounds like you are ranting

Any way under existing law if you have a TV you need a TV licence this new law only affect you if you only have a radio or a smart phone
    So if you are a law abiding citizen nothing will have changed

el pasco wrote: »
    The new broadcasting charge is for anyone who can receive any RTE service where there radio TV or via the Internet

Simple so I don't see what your complain is

The poor Broadband is got to do with either if you live in the middle of no where which is your choice but you can still get satellite broadband or if the Internet provider won't put down a proper line but you can still get satellite broadband or MAN Internet either
    But these issuses have nothing got to do with RTE

wtf are you babbling about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

bealtine wrote: »
    wtf are you babbling about?

My post is up as I put that post up by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

When does the broadcast charge fee kick in?

Could I get away with not paying my TV licence now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Advertisement