Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piratebay ISP block (See Mod Note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Not posting any direct link but it's very simple, just googling "TPB proxy" seems to be the best way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MOH wrote: »
    Don't joke. I say that's in the pipeline, they'll be demanding Google remove information on how to access copyright material.

How about a government "sponsored" search engine, in conjunction with our friends at IRMA, EMI, $ony :P

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

No problems with piratebay in Oz

ISP's are not responsible for piracy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It looks like Vodafone have already started putting the block in place.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

3 are blocking PB now :mad: . . . ffs nanny state run by chicken livered brown envelope loving twats.

Ken

Tried to access TPB on my UPC connection tonight...

noooooooooo.jpg

621852d1359704711-playstation-4-neue-hardware-spezifikationen-aufgetaucht-fuuuu-meme-generator-so-has-begun-52bb25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

On UTV Internet and no blocking TPB yet, long may it continue :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

IT-Guy wrote: »
    On UTV Internet and no blocking TPB yet, long may it continue :p

ISPs were given a month were they not?

2 more days left

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

So sad unable to access piratebay on UPC today.

Rumour has it that a Bill is being prepared in the Dail to outlaw the sale of blank CDs and DVDs.

• Advertisement

practice wrote: »
    Rumour has it that a Bill is being prepared in the Dail to outlaw the sale of blank CDs and DVDs.

Sounds like bull to me, sure many use CDs/DVDs for backing up photos/storage etc. A CD/DVD tax may be suggested, but even then I cannot see how it would be justified. I'm sure most piracy doesn't use CDs/DVDs anymore anyways

Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That would be so funny if it were true. :D

"Ireland - responding to piracy from the 1990's in 2013"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This ****ing state is a joke. We should find out where these politicians live and reclaim the wealth they have stolen from us. It makes me sick knowing the likes of bertie Ahern and his Cronies are still collecting fat pensions when they sold out our resources for 3 magic beans. The ****ers should be tarred and feathered and dragged through the streets of Dublin as a warning to the rest of them.

They can only keep taking things away from people for so long. But we're Irish and we'll put up with it instead of showing them we won't. We don't even protest these things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Surely they will ban VHS tapes too? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Time to update my bookmarks, now which proxy to use...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Does anybody know what ISPs aren't doing this censorship ? I'd rather give my broadband fee to somebody else if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Still up on Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what ISPs aren't doing this censorship ? I'd rather give my broadband fee to somebody else if possible
    Sky were not included

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Bah! Up until a few days ago I was able to visit piratebay and now its blocked!!!

It's good I downloaded all the stuff I wanted to before piratebay got blocked... Now will need to look elsewhere in the future... :(

I'm on magnet btw... So it really seems to be happening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

Well damn you Mr High Court Judge it must have taken me an extra 20 seconds to find what I was looking for,do they really think blocking a website will stop what's going on?

• Advertisement

All ISPs will be forced sooner or later, don't think Tesco Mobile are blocking it either. Sky aren't but that's because they weren't in Ireland at the time,

Nick

Well it's not really the ISP's fault in fairness. UPC fought it for as long as they could! There's simple solutions to getting around the block, without going into much detail, TPB themselves have a proxy version of their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Haven't used the piratebay in months, there's tons of other sites out there so no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

All should remember that it was a Labour Minister that made this possible, by getting a bill passed in the Dail. As minister with responsibility for Research & Innovation in the Department of Enterprise Mr. Sean Sherlock should be proud.
    In his hands we can all move forward in this country the responsability should be mine and mine alone as to what sites I visit.
    If UPC and others are not giving me a full internet service can I claim a price reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Doesn't change anything, there is so many PB proxies to choose from...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

wilford wrote: »
    do they really think blocking a website will stop what's going on?

I highly doubt the powers that be truly understand any of this in detail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Bah! Up until a few days ago I was able to visit piratebay and now its blocked!!!

It's good I downloaded all the stuff I wanted to before piratebay got blocked... Now will need to look elsewhere in the future... :(

I'm on magnet btw... So it really seems to be happening!!

I'm on magnet and its still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    ISPs were given a month were they not?

2 more days left

They were given six weeks.
    In fairness, it's not just Ireland that's gone insane. Printer prices may rise as a result of this insanity:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    The European Court of Justice has just ruled that printer companies will have to pay levies to copyright holders because you, the user, could print out something copyrighted without permission

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MOH wrote: »
    In fairness, it's not just Ireland that's gone insane. Printer prices may rise as a result of this insanity:

Why not just force developers to charge more for the "Print" function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Still up on Vodafone.
    It was down for me yesterday. For the first time in I don't know how long I went looking for a torrent. The only reason for it being I ordered the new daft punk album from wowhd and got sick of waiting for it. I was going to end up making a copy for the car anyway and putting the actual disk away in a safe place so it makes no difference and I figure I'm well within my rights.

I just searched for the torrent on google, piratebay was the first result, it was blocked so I went with the second result, album was downloaded 10 minutes later. Sterling work Sherlock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement