Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do i play .smil files

• 10-07-2006 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey i was wondering how do i play .smil files. They are the video file format used on the rte website. I tried real player but it didn't seem to work. Any ideas i want to watch the apre match clips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

RealPlayer worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

.smil files are merely a container for the redirect to the real player stream if you open the .smil in notepad you will see the link to the actual real video.

Real player should open .smil files anyway, it the .smil extension is probably not associated with Real, if you go into it's tools->preferences->content->media types and then on to "manually configure media types for Real player" you will see the .smil in there so tick the box next to it and that should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Vazelothir

I've a bug in my pc and .smil files won't open for me (directly) from rte.ie - instead I have to save the .smil file to my pc and then find that file and open it....

don't know why it happens, have tried re-installing real player without any luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You can force the file type of .smil to open with real if you want by opening an explorer window click on Tools->Folder Options.

From there click on File Types find .smil highlight it and click on change and the select Real player from the list or browse to it's folder if it's not already on the list of common applications.

After that anytime you open a .smil file from within the browser it should do it in Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Media Player Classic works fine here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Real Player Works for me grand but not on the RTE news site???:confused:

I can't find the Folder options in IE TOOLS?

Advertisement