Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Not Saorview, Split FTA Satellite Cable to Get Terrestrial?

• 24-03-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi I have 1 satellite wire coming to my FTA box. I want to view the irish terrestrial channels RTE etc, which are not on FTA, If i put splitters into the cable and keep one end plugged into my FTA box and feed the Other end into the TV aerial Point on the back of my tv, Despite it not being Saorview,,,, Will i get the Irish Channels? The tv is a flat Screen LCD about 4 years old but NOT Saorview approved! And Yes i have a Satellite Dish & Aerial outside also

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Saorview is not a satellite service. You'll need a UHF TV aerial of a type appropriate to your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Thurston? wrote: »
    Saorview is not a satellite service. You'll need a UHF TV aerial of a type appropriate to your location.

Cheers, I have a UHF TV aerial Just wondering if i get a lead from it to a Non Saorview tv will I get the irish channels if i plug the Aerial lead directly into the tv? or Do i have to get a Saorview tv or a saorview Box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ronan45 wrote: »
    I have a UHF TV aerial Just wondering if i get a lead from it to a Non Saorview tv will I get the irish channels if i plug the Aerial lead directly into the tv? or Do i have to get a Saorview tv or a saorview Box ?

The TV may have a digital TV tuner, post the make and model no. and someone may be able to advise.

You cannot normally split a satellite feed cable, it can only be split if the aerial and satellite feed from the dish are combined somewhere along the cable. How is the aerial fed to the TV point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

you never want to split the cable coming from the satellite dish. If you ever need a second satellite feed then run a second cable from the dish .

forget about the satellite for irish stations, you can only use an aerial.

if you post the brand and model of your tv i'll tell you if you need a new tv/ set top box.

donegal. wrote: »
    you never want to split the cable coming from the satellite dish. If you ever need a second satellite feed then run a second cable from the dish .

forget about the satellite for irish stations, you can only use an aerial.

if you post the brand and model of your tv i'll tell you if you need a new tv/ set top box.

It is a Silvercrest TV From Lidl :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70380953

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages...LCD_Television

Printed specifications:

32inch Full HD LCD Television

Full HD TV in 16:9 format with equaliser, integrated speakers and automatic programming system (APS)
    With built-in DVBT tuner (MPEG2) for reception of digital TV channels
    Also ideal as a PC monitor (HDMI/VGA input)
    2 HDMI connectors with HDCP, USB 2.0 for playing MP3 and JPG files
    200 analogue and 500 digital channel memory plus teletext with 1000 page memory
    Multilingual menu (OSD), electronic programme guide (EPG), child safety and sleep timer
    Technical Specs: TV System: PAL/SECAM/DVB-T (MPEG2), Audio: 2 x 6W RMS (Dual Stereo/Nicam), Viewing angle: 178° horizontal/178° vertical (typ.), Response time: 8ms (typ.) (LCD panel), Size (including base):78.5 x 57.0 x 18.7cm, Weight (including base): 10.9kg, Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels, Contrast: min. 1300:1 (typ.), Brightness: min. 450cd/m2 (typ.), Inputs/connections: 2 x HDMI; 1 x scart;, VGA (PC input); audio (PC input); aerial input; AV (RCA); composite video (RCA); 3.5mm headphones jack; USB; common interfa

• Advertisement

according to the link you posted you should be all bad.

you can't just connect the aerial you have to the tv and tune it in.

If those are definitely the specs for the TV you have, it's no use for Saorview, as it only mentions MPEG2 video capability, not MPEG4.

I am pretty sure thats the model Ill check the back of the tv shortly and check the prescise model number.

its not worth spending money on a stb to get irish stations on this tv.

dump it

get a new tv.

I am pretty sure thats the model Ill check the back of the tv shortly and check the prescise model number.

Easiest way to check is just to plug a feed from a functioning aerial into it, & see what it finds. You'll need to get the aerial sorted anyway.

• Advertisement

Thurston? wrote: »
    Easiest way to check is just to plug a feed from a functioning aerial into it, & see what it finds. You'll need to get the aerial sorted anyway.

thats what i'd do.

thats what i'd do.

Why did you tell him to dump it then? Or will you just go back & 'ninja edit' that post too?

i only edited the other post because he changed the spec of the tv.

yes he needs to get his aerial sorted.

yes he should rule out any hope of soarview as this is so easily done.

then he need s to dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can mux dtt and satellite signals onto one cable, and de-mux behind the telly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74024612

if you've a masthead amp for the dtt aerial, you'll need a new power source for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It is a Silvercrest TV From Lidl :o

I have a Lidl Silvercrest TV from April 2011 working OK with Saorview, model no. LCD-TV 32111, how old is yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

then he need s to dump it.

Why? Have you not heard of DVB-T MPEG 4 boxes?

Advertisement