Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signal issues?

• 23-03-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 receivers fed from one dish and one LNB. Both receivers show different values for signal SNR and AGC. I'm trying to fine tune the dish but why this confuses me. Its the same dish and same LNB why am I getting different readings on each receiver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

superg wrote: »
    Hi,

I have 2 receivers fed from one dish and one LNB. Both receivers show different values for signal SNR and AGC. I'm trying to fine tune the dish but why this confuses me. Its the same dish and same LNB why am I getting different readings on each receiver?

Different make of box?, different lengths of cabling from dish to each box....different type of wallplate?

Signal strengths on boxes are only a guide and extremely difficult to use to adjust a dish properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

The reference transponders could be different, ie the frequency you are getting a measure of.
    The outside connections could vary in age, condition could be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

It's all a new setup, couple of months old. Yes they are two different boxes and yes cable lengths vary but I'm getting higher %'s on the box with the longer runs than the shorter run, but it's the box with the longer runs giving more trouble despite having apparently better signal strength and quality. I have a signal meter I used when adjusting the dish and got a very strong signal with the meter turned way down. Still getting intermittent freezing on some channels and noted the agc fluctuating from 94% to 1% and back again while this was happening. Only on one box though!

When getting differing readings I use the same channel on each box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

What brand of satellite receivers?
    What size dish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

It's all a new setup, couple of months old. Yes they are two different boxes and yes cable lengths vary but I'm getting higher %'s on the box with the longer runs than the shorter run, but it's the box with the longer runs giving more trouble despite having apparently better signal strength and quality. I have a signal meter I used when adjusting the dish and got a very strong signal with the meter turned way down. Still getting intermittent freezing on some channels and noted the agc fluctuating from 94% to 1% and back again while this was happening. Only on one box though!

When getting differing readings I use the same channel on each box.

Swap the boxes and see if same problem persists, is cable ran through a wall point if so remove the wall sock and bypass it completely using 2 f connectors and a f barrell connecter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... it's the box with the longer runs giving more trouble despite having apparently better signal strength and quality. I have a signal meter I used when adjusting the dish and got a very strong signal with the meter turned way down. Still getting intermittent freezing on some channels and noted the agc fluctuating from 94% to 1% and back again while this was happening. Only on one box though!

Is it the same channels giving trouble all the time &, if so, which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Cables are direct to the boxes, no wall points involved, dish is 80cm sky type job though not installed by them. The boxes are an amiko-alien 2+ and an edision optimuss OS3. Problems aren't there all the time. After I posted last night the problem ceased but it will return. It comes and goes which you'd probably put down to weather but no weather changes last might while it was happening. As for channels I'm not sure. It's happened a few times now. I'll have to make note of which ones do it and when.

I'll swap the boxes around and see too.

Advertisement