Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW Passat B6. New Radio Problem.

• 07-08-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I changed my radio from the orignal passat radio to a new touch screen radio. It was a very simple swap around but the problem now is the radio does not turn off when I take the key out. I need to manually turn off radio and turn on or else battery will be drained.
    I've read its something to do with been connected to battery directly rather than the ignition.
    Anyone know how I can sort this out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The clue is in the question, is it not??

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Ya but I don't know how to connect it to ignition. Is it to do with wires in back or fuses or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

boardzz wrote: »
    Ya but I don't know how to connect it to ignition. Is it to do with wires in back or fuses or what?

Found this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83593427

It may help. Seems VWs send on/off directives to the ICE via CANBUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

On older B6's you needed to change the wiring loom if upgrading the stereo to one of the newer variants (eg: RCD300 -> RCD310/510 etc) or it'd drain the battery.

You don't give the age of your car or the stereo you've fitted but it could be something similar?

It's an 2006 model with RCD300 radio.

What do you mean by changing the wiring loom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

boardzz wrote: »
    It's an 2006 model with RCD300 radio.

What do you mean by changing the wiring loom?

Have a look on Google for "b6 passat rcd510 battery drain"

It's actually the Canbus module that needs replacing - although there's various cheaper fixes mentioned on the VW forums.

In short though, you'll need to invest a bit more I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

Is it not a case of swapping the red and yellow? like in the old days.

I sorted the problem by directly connecting the red acc wire to the airbag light underneath the radio. Works a charm.

Advertisement